Gibson Brands Forums

I would really like to think led zeppelin is the greatest band to ever exist

Not to ge too far off topic here' date=' but look at early Fleetwood Mac.

Fantastic rock/blues band......Then, Peter Green went loco thanks to too many chemicals

and it was all downhill from there.

Funny thing is, Mac was far more successful w/ Buckingham, Nicks....but boy did

that band get wimpy.[/quote']

Well look at the early Beatles...... they started out with that super corny song "Love Me Do" and in four years started turning out songs like Come Together, Dear Prudence and Lady Madonna...... Which I'm sure were chemically induced

Ummm....errr...Colour My World?

Colour is a short 2 min. break in the middle of a musical suite called Ballet For A Girl In Buchannon.

Think side 2 of Abbey road.

Their producer pulled it from the middle of that series of music searching for something radio friendly and It also included the song Make Me Smile.

If you listen to Chicago's first 2 or 3 albums the music was VERY guitar driven rock and roll' date=' and Terry Kath's vision and leadership is quite evident. It wasn't until after his death that the horns took over the "sound".[/quote']

The horns are very evident on their early albums. After his death the synths and Peter Cetera's ballads took over the sound.

"Chicago" and "Led Zep' date='" are like apples and oranges.[/quote']

damn right, but that doesent make an interesting thread!

If you listen to Chicago's first 2 or 3 albums the music was VERY guitar driven rock and roll' date=' and Terry Kath's vision and leadership is quite evident. .[/quote']

I love when they leave some of the "studio banter" on the album, and you can hear him "beatboxing" how the song was going to go, clearly the leader even among a large group of great musicians

ROFL' date='@ the best band??

I bet you play a Framus Diablo Custom!!

Better luck with your April fools next time, methinks!!![/quote']

actually, I play one of many les pauls, in a led zeppelin tribute band, and your mother comes to all of our shows :P

Not to ge too far off topic here' date=' but look at early Fleetwood Mac.

Fantastic rock/blues band......Then, Peter Green went loco thanks to too many chemicals

and it was all downhill from there.

Funny thing is, Mac was far more successful w/ Buckingham, Nicks....but boy did

that band get wimpy.[/quote']

Honestly, I can't stand post-Peter Green Fleetwood Mac. I have no interest in anything they did after he left.

And I love Peter Green's Mac. He was a man who understood the blues.

On the topic of Chicago, however: one of you (I don't remember the post) compared them to BS&T? Child Is Father To The Man is one of my favorite albums, ever--I lost interest in post-Al Kooper BS&T. Chicago Transit Authority and Chicago II were great albums. Chicago III was good and interesting at times. I lost interest afterwards, just like I lost interest in Fleetwood Mac's pop-rock direction, BS&T's pop direction and Focus' "disco" direction.

actually' date=' I play one of many les pauls, in a led zeppelin tribute band, and your mother comes to all of our shows [lol']

My Mother died 2 years ago?

Death is apart of us all.

Everything you will do will lead to death.

I can only think of a handful of Chicago tunes I like.....

Now Zep' date=' I can listen to all their albums in their entirety [/quote']

Ditto.

A few odd/uneven songs here and there but I can get through them just fine.

In Through The Out Door was tough to warm up to when it came out, but I'm okay with it.

Ditto.

A few odd/uneven songs here and there but I can get through them just fine.

In Through The Out Door was tough to warm up to when it came out' date=' but I'm okay with it.

[/quote']

Count me as a third on this one. And In Through The Out Door (I know you say you warmed up to it,) actually has a few of my favorites on it, but at first I had some trouble with it as well. "Fool In The Rain," "Carouselambra," and "All My Love" are great tunes, but the rest always seemed a little lethargic to me--the performances came off as really unenthusiastic, the production was maybe a bit too mellow for me, and Page tried out some seriously weird stuff.

On the other hand, the cuts that didn't make it on to the album, but were on Coda, appealed to me a lot more. "Wearing and Tearing" is one of the heaviest things they ever released.

I love talking Zeppelin, but I think my input on this thread has already been more than enough. Time for me to lay off on it for a while. ;)

fool in the rain

I felt the same way about All Of My Love' date=' blech....

Ya know what?

It was the [i']drums[/i] in FITR that made me finally listen to it.

Huge Bonham drums.

But that whole album was a waste in my opinion.

Like I posted before - took me several years to warm up to it. Still my least favorite.

Archived