Gibson Brands Forums

08' STD Maple Top - Is this normal?

sergiomartinez11

Hey everybody,

I recently received this Les Paul Standard as a gift and I love it. I just had a question about the wood quality on the "AA" maple top. I know that the wood grain is going to be unique for each guitar but mine has these strange marks all over the top, I don't quite know how to describe them, they look like the equivalent of stretch marks or scratches only they are under the finish like it's part of the wood. Also, sometimes it is only visible in certain light or angles. Does anyone else notice the same thing on theirs? Is this a quality control issue that I should call Gibson about or am I just being OCD?

tumblr_l03xwfpPed1qaln4x

Other than that it is a beautiful instrument and a joy to play.

My wife bought it for me from Musicians Friend, and their 10 day return period had expired by the time I received it, so any action would fall under Gibson's factory warranty and not the dealer. So they would actually attempt to repair something like that rather than send a replacement? If that's the case I can live with it. It is definitely unique looking but I can't decide if it is in a good or bad way. And for $2700 I would expect a product to be flawless. My question is whether this kind of condition would even be considered a flaw.

Someone posted something like this in another forum (Not Gibson). I'm pretty sure they are part of the wood grain. I think it makes the guitar more unique. As long as it plays and sounds good, I'd be happy with it.

Maybe one of the experts around here can refresh my memory on what those marks are called.

I don't consider them a flaw...

That's a sweet Les Paul with a very nice flame. God only knows why that maple tree grew that way. I think it adds to the personality of the guitar. I'm sure you will get many years of sweet music from that baby.

Welcome.

The graining always runs perpendicular to the flame figuring. On my LP top, the graining is lightly colored so the flame really stands out. You've just got some dark grain lines showing. As Sellen said - beauty marks.

I think you've got a nice looking STD there with decent flame. Congrats. [cool]

And for $2700 I would expect a product to be flawless. My question is whether this kind of condition would even be considered a flaw.

There's nothing flawless about Maple. I think the uniqueness of each Maple top is a big appeal to guitarists.

I know it is for me and if they all looked the same' date=' I don't think I would be as big a fan as I am.

Hell, You should see Bear Claw Sitka Spruce! Now that will make your eyes go crazy! [cool

My opinion is, if it sounds good and you really, REALLY like the sound and how it feels and plays? DON'T let it go!

The next LP could turn out to be a whole different set of circumstances!

Nice Guitar! :-

sergio, calling that a flaw is like calling the flame a flaw. It's the way the wood is. Have a look at a book called Beauty of the Burst. A lot of vintage bursts had those and tops with them are very desirable. Mineral flecks, streaks - whatever you want to call them.

How about a picture of the entire guitar?

sergio' date=' calling that a flaw is like calling the flame a flaw. It's the way the wood is. Have a look at a book called Beauty of the Burst. A lot of vintage bursts had those and tops with them are very desirable. Mineral flecks, streaks - whatever you want to call them.

How about a picture of the entire guitar?[/quote']

Totally Agree!

People don't realize that the most desirable patterns happen when the tree goes through stressful hard-times during its life cycle. Some believe that the harder life the tree goes through, the more intense patterns you will see?

So, if you love your guitar and its got a lot of flames and lines going in different directions.

Then you can be assured that it came from a tuff tree! [scared]

Hes gotta point axe.

Lets say you punch your tree everyday.

When you cut it down 50 years later you got some nice flames. [biggrin]

(I really have no idea what i or he is talking about)

Wood Grains

"Trees that exhibit “figure” have multiple factors that contribute to their overall appearance. Stress, genetics, location, nutrients, insects, and growth pattern all effect the amount and type of figure found in a tree"

When I was looking for a Standard I found one looked like it had water stains

on it. Beautiful flames but what looked like water stains (it was just the wood)

I passed. After seeing the marks every time I looked at it you just would see

what appeared to be a stain.

CW

1. mine has these strange marks all over the top

2. Is this a quality control issue that I should call Gibson about or am I just being OCD?

I'm sorry but I find these observations just ridiculous. The 'strange marks' are the NORMAL wood grain as others have pointed out. If you want a guitar with a top that is "perfect" buy a cheap guitar with a photo finish instead of real wood' date=' or one that is painted so you can't see the grain. Wood is a natural material, you're never going to get a piece that does not have individual variation in the grain.

[b']Of course it is not a quality control issue.[/b] Yes you are being OCD.

I don't mean any offence by these comments, I am just amazed that anyone could think that a piece of wood that beautiful is abnormal in some way, and that there is some kind of quality control issue as a result?

[biggrin][confused] [confused] [confused] [confused] [confused] [confused] [confused] [confused] [confused] [confused]

Is this a quality control issue that I should call Gibson about or am I just being OCD?

The Golden Rule: "The man with the gold makes the rules!"

As far as I am concerned' date=' if you don't like those black marks on the top, you should try to return it. Call Musician's Friend and point out to them the delay in delivery and that you are not happy with the finish on the guitar. When you're paying that much money, it should be exactly what you want!

Other than that it is a beautiful instrument and a joy to play.

Therin lies the rub - You may get a beautiful looking guitar that doesn't play as well (although this should just be a matter of a setup).

Archived