Gibson Brands Forums

Slash AFD Les Paul

DamienAzrael

Dude, awsome. I don't have the means for that many Les Pauls - I do have a few nice gtrs. I was just curious of the thought about the copy of a copy and how Gibson is capitolizing on it. As I said, I would be more interested in the idea of a "speced " guitar. Slash, Jeff Beck, etc . I love the Slash neck, I shave mine. The SD pick ups are also good, Ironically I use the same caps in my standard. Not wanting to rain on your purchase or piss anyone off, just like to know what the real Les Paul players are thinking..

I got what you were saying...I got into collecting Les Pauls a few years ago so that's why I've got so many...Out of my 12 I only really use 5 of them on a regular basis...The closest model to his specs they've made I think is that Custom Shop model with the Fishman bridge. The neck profile was unique to that particular guitar....I wouldn't mind getting my hand on one of those Guild Crossroad Double Necks he designed...That thing is pretty badass.

dude the Les Paul came from Les Paul - he created the Les Paul. Took years. Eric Clapton did not create the Strat nor did Slash create the Les Paul. The Derrig Les Paul is a killer copy' date=' like my Tokai, Epi. Neither are true Les Pauls. Which many have dumped on here. The copy. So now the "copy" is okay if Gibson makes it? Like I said, no disrepect. Just getting a feel for what these apparent Les Paul owners are thinking about Gibson copying a copy to sell. Duh

Do we really need the name "Slash" , and i'm hard into gnr , slash, etc . Got the new album, yes I do. But why not a slash spec guitar?

I figure if your gonna put the cash into a signature Les Paul you gotta have the balls to play it live . I'm sure buddy is okay - you , I don't know ?[/quote']Les Paul DID NOT create the Les Paul guitar! Gibson, or more specifically Ted McCarty did![mad] Also, despite popular belief, he didn't design it either. His ONLY two contributions to the "design" were the original "trapeze" tailpiece, and the color of the top (Gold, as the original prototype was a sunburst model). He was however responsible for the idea that led up to it's creation, the "Log".

Gibson decided to put his name on it (as part of an endorsement deal), because at the time, he was the most famous guitarist in America, and Gibson wanted EVERYONE who saw Les play to associate him with Gibson guitars (as per the endorsement agreement). Is it still a "signature" guitar? Yes, because Les spent a number of years modding/creating many different variations of it, until he made it his own.

What makes an LP a "Sig" guitar, is any player deviating from the "Standard"/stock guitar, and replacing just about everything on it to suit his personal prefs. NOT the name on the HS. So in essence, if you mod your LP(s), they become your own "sig" model.

As for Gibson "copying a copy"? Why not? Their design, their name on the HS, so why not try to capitalize on it? And capitalize on it they will![cool]

"Yes' date=' because Les spent a number of years modding/creating many different variations of it, until he made it his own."

uh ?

[/quote']

For personal use, he never tricked one out to use as a template for a series for Gibson to produce is what I'm gathering from his post.

"Yes' date=' because Les spent a number of years modding/creating many different variations of it, until he made it his own."

uh ?

[/quote']See below post.

For personal use' date=' he never tricked one out to use as a template for a series for Gibson to produce is what I'm gathering from his post.[/quote']Actually, he did.

Remember these?

Les Paul Personal

feature-1969-les-paul-personal.jpg

Les Paul Recording

Gibson_Les-Paul-Recording_Guitar_TW_collage.jpg

Archived