Gibson Brands Forums

bridge spacing

daboni

Hi,

I replaced the 500t in my 2004 Explorer with a Duncan JB and the strings are not directly above the poles, far from it. The high E is barely above the last pole at all, so the pickup is smaller the my 500t. Seymour Duncan makes 2 sizes, the smaller being for Gibson guitars, so this should be it...

Am I losing on my sound becouse of the strings not being directly on top of the poles, and should I look for a F-spaced one?

Thanks,

Andy.

how does it sound?

Take the guitar to the store and compare with other pickups from SD to see for yourself...

It's not 100% critical, but you could be loosing some sound, but it's subjective. Is the high E loud enough when comparted with the other strings?

how does it sound?

Take the guitar to the store and compare with other pickups from SD to see for yourself...

It's not 100% critical' date=' but you could be loosing some sound, but it's subjective. Is the high E loud enough when comparted with the other strings?

[/quote']Yes, I guess it`s high enough, but I keep thinking that I`m loosing some sustain maybe, and so on. Somebody once told me that even if the fraction of a string is going above the pole, I`m ok. Anybodu agrees?

The pole pieces really don't have to be in line with the string, since you have playing in a magnetic field created by the entire pick-up, and not the poles. (Think of a blade pickup, they don't have poles, just one bar covering all strings.) The poles are generally to add concentration to an area where a string is to be able to isolate string intensity. I'd be worried if your high E pole was off in space and your B pole was under the high e. You would still hear the strings just fine, but you wouldn't be able to adjust the intensity of each specific string, just a group.

I checked my guitars fitted with after market p/u's, and have found most of mine are the same, the strings are not directly over the poles, and my guitars sound great. As long as your high e is the closest string to the high e pole everything is fine!!

The pole pieces really don't have to be in line with the string' date=' since you have playing in a magnetic field created by the entire pick-up, and not the poles. (Think of a blade pickup, they don't have poles, just one bar covering all strings.) The poles are generally to add concentration to an area where a string is to be able to isolate string intensity. I'd be worried if your high E pole was off in space and your B pole was under the high e. You would still hear the strings just fine, but you wouldn't be able to adjust the intensity of each specific string, just a group.

I checked my guitars fitted with after market p/u's, and have found most of mine are the same, the strings are not directly over the poles, and my guitars sound great. As long as your high e is the closest string to the high e pole everything is fine!!

[/quote

']Thanks very much.

Archived