Gibson Brands Forums

Please help me in identifying the model (pic included)

sid_wylde

Hi

I am going to buy a second hand Gibson Les Paul very soon. Could you please help me in identifying the model. I have searched a lot but didnt find this exact model. The owner send me the pics but didnt mention the model. I will go to test the guitar in about 2 days and wanted to do some research before testing it.

Picture

http://i40.tinypic.com/fz2l1l.jpg

Thanks.

Id ask him what model' date=' but it almost looks like a gibson "The paul"

Correct me if i'm wrong guys.[/quote']

The Paul is from 30 years ago.

Les Paul "Faded" or "Worn" is more likely, from somewhere over the last 8 years.

Nothing wrong with them at all - 'cept the finish...

What kind of price are we talking about?

Those guitars are not very expensive - especially without a hard shell case.

Id ask him what model' date=' but it almost looks like a gibson "The paul"

Correct me if i'm wrong guys.

[/quote']

It is not The Paul . . . the pickup selector switch on The Paul was down with the tone and volume knobs and the body was made of walnut.

Also The Paul had dirty Fingers humbuckers (although they could of course be changed) and said 'The Paul' on the TRC (which again could be changed). But the switch and the wood gives it away.

It does look like a Les Paul faded though.

We can't see all of the headstock which would help too.

Thanks a lot guys for helping. I think its the Les Paul Special Faded. Spent a long time reading in various sites.

It looks like a good guitar. What are you thoughts about this? Will this be a good guitar?

I will be getting it for 40,000 Indian Rupees (maybe a little less after negotiation). Just for comparision, a brand new Fender Mexican strat costs 42,000 INR and the PRS SE Single Cut is 41,500 INR.

I've been playing a fender mexican strat for last 8 years and really wanted to buy a Gibson. But they are not that easily available in India and the ones that are available are way beyond my budget.

Hmmmm....

This is a used guitar, so it should be priced less than new.

The comparisons you gave for the Fender and PRS are new prices, right?

Sounds a little high to me, but I'm talking about the market in the USA where they are all plentiful.

Also, the Gibsons are made here, while you're buying a guitar that had to be imported.

There's too may variables for me to speculate accurately from the Arizona desert.

If I had to guess, I'd have to say the price is reasonable enough.

And if you have to pay 10,000 Rupees more than you should, at least you got the guitar in your hands.

Price is not everything in an area where the guitars are hard to find.

Hope it all works out, and you enjoy the guitar.

Welcome to the forum!

The key is that it has the dot inlays and what appears to be a flat (not a carved) top. In any event, if it is in mint condition, it's worth about the same a a used vintage mahogany which is about 10% to 20% more than a new mexican strat. If it's a special, its an older one and asking a little less than a new mexican strat sounds reasonable.

Post a picture of the front of the headstock.

Archived