Gibson Brands Forums

1989 Gibson Les Paul Custom Alpine White

El_Jeffe_Solid

Indeed a great deal. I'm curious about '89 LP's with regard to the pups installed in that era. I've been told that Bill Lawrence "circuit boards" were used but not sure if they were put in all from around '87 to mid '90's. Anyone have input on that. Personally, I don't mind the BL's. but understand that some feel they're inferior to regular HB's... I have them in an '88 pre-historic '59 re-issue and like 'em.........

I,ve got a 89 les paul too...

1988-1990 were great years for les pauls. My guitar has one single peace of mahogany in its body (just one piece!) and the pups are bill lawrence´s with a big sound. Bill Lawrence built the les pauls pickups from 1988 to 1990. You can recognize them for the on board circuit on its back. This is one Bill Lawrence pickup from these years:

GibsonHB-L2-2.jpg

And this is my 89 les paul

P3210009.jpg

My '88 is the one on the right in my avatar and as mentioned it has the Bill Lawrence pups. Over the time that I've had it, I thought I'd change the pups, but then after playing it a couple hours or playing other LP's, I opted not to. For me, its got all the spectrum of sounds that I need. BTW, I've taken the pickguard off and like it better.

Archived