Gibson Brands Forums

own pic avatar month?

S t e v e

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Neo...

I had a lady friend once a long' date=' long time ago when I was just a kid even before the folkie '60s era who lost a batch of hair in a tractor power takeoff. She was a very strong girl and luckily a strand or two of hair was all she lost. If more got grabbed, she wouldn't have been able to do a thing about losing a lot more. That made me awfully cowardly about long hair and never had any.

Shaggy - still let it get that way in the winter - but not long enough to get caught in most stuff.

In fact... I pretty much gave up on any jewelry of any kind for pretty much the same reason. I wore a watch with a certain amount of concern over the years 'cuz my Dad had a mechanic in the '50s who'd gotten a good jolt of electricity and the scar years later was still around a quarter of an inch deep on his wrist.

Other factors, too... but... Occasionally a ring on "dress-up" occasions. Had a diamond pinkie ring I lost 30 years ago that I'd had made from another ring <grin> that I wore on my right hand largely through ego so it'd show when I'd anchor that pinkie on the banjo top or a pickguard on a guitar. It got ripped off when I was off playing board-breaking games and wearing a ring wasn't too bright a thing to do.

I dunno... jewelry and long hair can be dangerous. Don't care much for either.

m

[/quote']

Reminds me of the old Ledbelly song:

Her husband, was a hard working man

Just about a mile from here

His head was found in a driving wheel

But his body never was found

Rob...

The old Leadbelly version is one of the first pieces I learned to play in the summer of '63. Darned near wore out the vinyl; it was in either one of the Sing Out books or mags so I knew what the chords were. The Leadbelly album is one of the few I bought during that era - mostly figured more direct pickin' material was more important.

m

That's me and my lovely bride in my avatar.

I met when she was in another band, both recently divorced, and we hit it off. Now we are in a duo together see http://www.s-cats.com for a bigger picture.

Funny. In a couple of the computer forums I'm in, most people have their own picture as their avatar, in a sax forum it's common (perhaps close to half), but very rare in guitar forums.

I'm sure there is a message in that, but I haven't the slightest idea what that message is.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

Rob...

The old Leadbelly version is one of the first pieces I learned to play in the summer of '63. Darned near wore out the vinyl; it was in either one of the Sing Out books or mags so I knew what the chords were. The Leadbelly album is one of the few I bought during that era - mostly figured more direct pickin' material was more important.

m

I LOVE Ledbelly's music... so raw...and his phrasing is unique.

I've heard several other versions of the song, (it's kind of a pro-union song among Blugrass bands), including Nirvana, but none come close to Ledbelly's.

B

I LOVE Ledbelly's music... so raw...and his phrasing is unique.

I've heard several other versions of the song' date=' (it's kind of a pro-union song among Blugrass bands), including Nirvana, but none come close to Ledbelly's.

B[/quote']

I share your enthusiasm for Ledbelly, as well as the more "modern" iterations of his songs by others. Here's one of the more striking examples, both versions most enjoyable but very different. Kinda funny trivia about the Ram Jam version when it was released. Seems some folks felt it was racist and shouldn't be played. Guess they should have looked a little deeper into the history of the piece before making it out a racist song. [crying]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYrK464nIeY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

Anybody remember the Koerner-Ray-Glover version in the 60s?

I think it was Koerner solo, but... those vinyls are long gone with all the other albums in a fire. @#$%#@$% I was so lucky that a fireman friend told me he didn't know how I woke up and got out alive and that "It must have been an angel on your shoulder."

m

I share your enthusiasm for Ledbelly' date=' as well as the more "modern" iterations of his songs by others. Here's one of the more striking examples, both versions most enjoyable but very different. Kinda funny trivia about the Ram Jam version when it was released. Seems some folks felt it was racist and shouldn't be played. Guess they should have looked a little deeper into the history of the piece before making it out a racist song. [biggrin']

I like both versions...but like every Ledbelly song...no one comes close to his interpretation. I'm sure it's because he LIVED those songs.....

Anybody remember the Koerner-Ray-Glover version in the 60s?

I think it was Koerner solo' date=' but... those vinyls are long gone with all the other albums in a fire. @#$%#@$% I was so lucky that a fireman friend told me he didn't know how I woke up and got out alive and that "It must have been an angel on your shoulder."

m

[/quote']

I'm certainly glad you survived that burn, Milo, but understand your feelings re: losing the prized vinyl. I wish I could say I remember the version you referenced but it's not in my memory banks. Perhaps I can find it. Was it a particularly noteworthy rendition?

Archived