Gibson Brands Forums

Adjusting volume on idividual strings

daveinspain

Hi Guys... I posted this on the Semi-Hollow Body Guitars forum but my question really applies to all guitars... Just change the ES 339 to LP :-)

Hi All, I'm just getting comfortable with my ES 339... Feels so good! I'm finding that the D string has a noticeable volume drop when I pluck that string, the A string too but not as much... I'm fairly new to guitars so if this is a lame question please forgive me.... I imagine if I adjust the hight of the screw under the D string on the pick-up it will raise and lower the volume of that string. All the pick-up screws have the screw driver slot perpendicular to the string and they are all about in the same position or hight. Is that the generic way Gibson ships a new guitar so the new owner can adjust the string volumes to his or her liking? Just thought I would ask before I go tweeking all the pick up screws and end up throwing something out of wack and having to send the guitar to a tech or something... Does that make sense?

Nope that's pretty much it, you can adjust the pole pieces individually for exactly that reason. Tweak to your hearts (and ears) content. I adjusted the pole pieces on both pups to follow (roughly) the curve of the fretboard. I used the neck curve template that comes with Dale Earlwines guitar setup book.

All the screw slots being lined up in the same direction, that's purely cosmetic.

I find the best an most balanced sounding is to copy the staggered pattern of a vintage Fender pickup. Except drop the G-string lower than on an old Fender pickup. This takes into account the louder output of an unwound as opposed to a wound G-string.

Archived