Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
benstudio

Gibson alpine white Studio

Hi guys,

I bought a alpine white studio about half year ago. Is kinda seductive when is just out from the oven however as the days passed, it started to become yellowish till I gave up on worrying about it. However recently I realized there are black marks starting to surfacing out from the guitar. Is like wood mark and is very obvious on white surface.

Anyone facing the same problem as me? [biggrin]

And also need some opinion from you all. Studio come with 490R and 498T pickup. Will the sound really improve if I upgrade to Burstbucker Pro?

It's been said that alpine white will turn into yellowish with the pass of time...

Can't help you with the rest questions, but I'm sure someone else will!

As far as the pickups go, it all depends on what you want. The Burstbuckers are going to have more of a vintage sound, maybe not as grungy as the 490R/498T. The Burstbuckers are definitely weaker. The 490R/498T set is a high output combo that has a dirty, dark sound with more sustain. I have a Les Paul with a '57 classic in the bridge and another LP with the 490/498 pickup combination. The guitars sound totally different - like night and day. So whether the change of pickups "improves" the sound is up to your opinion and your taste.

Another vote for the 57 Classics.

Marks from a stand maybe?

White finish and any sort of rubber is a recipe for disaster.

There are NO foam/rubber stands safe for a nitro cellulose finish, no matter what they say on the box.

Some guys here use Hercules stands and swear by 'em but I don't trust 'em.

Put white cotton cloth between your white guitar and any stands.

As far as the pickups go' date=' it all depends on what you want. The Burstbuckers are going to have more of a vintage sound, maybe not as grungy as the 490R/498T. The Burstbuckers are definitely weaker. The 490R/498T set is a high output combo that has a dirty, dark sound with more sustain. I have a Les Paul with a '57 classic in the bridge and another LP with the 490/498 pickup combination. The guitars sound totally different - like night and day. So whether the change of pickups "improves" the sound is up to your opinion and your taste.[/quote']

Thanks CaptainNemo68 for your suggestion. But which one really give a warm and bluesy sound?

Another vote for the 57 Classics.

Marks from a stand maybe?

White finish and any sort of rubber is a recipe for disaster.

There are NO foam/rubber stands safe for a nitro cellulose finish' date=' no matter what they say on the box.

Some guys here use Hercules stands and swear by 'em but I don't trust 'em.

Put white cotton cloth between your white guitar and any stands.[/quote']

Hi NeoConMan, my guitar is always back to its case when not playing. I will upload a picture of those "black marks" later when I get home...

Impossible to say what's causing those black marks without pictures, but sometimes the dye from the lining of a case bleeds into the finish.

But which one really give a warm and bluesy sound?

If you're thinking like I do' date=' you want low output - generally speaking.

Here's chart from the Gibson website showing comparative outputs.

[img']http://www.gibson.com/files/_gear/pickups_output-chart.jpg[/img]

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/How%20They_re%20Made%20%281%29/

Like I said, it's tough to beat the 57's.

They're pretty similar to the BB Pro, and I own several of both, but I really like the 57 Classic.

High output pickups sometimes don't have the tone you want no matter what you do.

They suck down low, they suck when you crank 'em, they suck no matter what.

This may be where you are with the 498.

Low output pickups that sound perfect can always be boosted slightly to drive them harder.

I doubt you would ever need to though.

57's will get you right in the ball park...Pro's will get you there,but leave you standing at the gate...they're good but are missing that "oomph & warmth".

Trust us...it's the 57's that you want.

Thanks CaptainNemo68 for your suggestion. But which one really give a warm and bluesy sound?

I'd also recommend the '57 Classic and '57 Classic plus but I have a question. Are you dissatisfied with both pickups or just the 498t? The '57 classic is VERY similar to the 490r so you may want to only replace the 498t.

My SG Standard came stock with the 490/498 combo and I wanted to replace the 498 with something a little less hot. I replaced my 498t with a Burstbucker 3. The BB3 is just barely hotter than a '57 Classic plus. The BB3 is also not wax potted and has an unpolished magnet like a vintage Gibson PAF.

I don't know how much the unpolished magnet affects the tone but the lack of wax potting sure does.

Anyways I love my SG even more now and I have to thank our mod Duane V for that.

Consider keeping the 490.

The BB3 is also not wax potted and has an unpolished magnet like a vintage Gibson PAF.

I don't know how much the unpolished magnet affects the tone but the lack of wax potting sure does.

Eh....

Be careful with that potting thing.

Microphonic squealing renders a pickup worthless. I just had my third one repaired by Lindy Fralin.

Seems the factory installed Burstbuckers are not potted' date=' with the exception of the BB Pro or BB V.

[b']3.[/b]

It would appear that all aftermarket Gibson pickups are indeed wax-potted now - see excerpt from website.

This is the best explanation I could get from Gibson's Customer Service guys in 3 or 4 phone calls.

Maybe our all-seeing and omnipotent Mod Squad can shed some light on this. Duane, Scott?

Full Wax Potting

"Every Gibson pickup is potted in a special wax bath to insure that

microphonic feedback due to internal vibration is eliminated.

All covered models receive a second wax bath to further protect the pickup."

Click here, scroll to the bottom.

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/How%20They_re%20Made%20%281%29/

I have to agree - the '57 classic is one the most even, warm sounding pickups out there and they are hard to beat. The suggestion to leave in the 490R is a good one - consider changing out just the bridge pickup. The '57s are wax potted, so no worries about microphonic feedback. If you are worried about the '57 classic not being powerful enough you can always try the '57 classic plus (see above chart courtesy of our favorite ConMan).

I regularly play with my amp totally cranked all the way up and I haven't experienced any microphonics at all. The other day I had my Big Muff cranked and my AC30 cranked and I put my guitar right up to the speaker to get feedback. It gets awesome harmonic feedback when I want it but it doesn't squeal.

This pickup was factory installed on Duane Vs melody maker.

It's an uncovered zebra BB3 and it sounds awesome.

If it can get microphonic, I don't care because it can't with my rig. Ymmv.

If it can get microphonic' date=' I don't care because it can't with my rig. [/quote']

It's not your rig that will cause it.

We're not talking about feedback in the usual sense - the kind we like to use to our advantage.

When the pickup becomes microphonic, it's because something has worked loose inside.

Flutters around like a diaphragm on a microphone, creates a squeal like you've NEVER heard evidently.

You cannot control it in any way, muting the strings won't stop it - trust me, you'll never forget it...

Wax attenuates that, greatly reduces the likelihood of it happening.

That's why it became the norm in pickup production, people had old pickups laying around that

couldn't be used with any rig without squealing like hell.

Trust me, I crank the sh!t out of my rig every time I play.

I turn it down when I play a gig - if that gives you any idea.

Fender Hot Rod DeVille and a 100 watt Marshall 800 is what I use.

The latest pickup I had repaired was a Fender Wide Range humbucker.

Likely a little more predisposed to microphonics due to the huge oil-can cover.

3375030718_c46b20b437.jpg

It's fixed now.

I can get all the usual feedback I want by standing in front of my amp, but no ice-pick-in-the-ear squealing.

I've definately heard microphonic feedback. It's horribly annoying.

I wasn't really recommending that the OP should get a non-potted pickup. I was just talking about how I had a 498t and replaced it.

Hi guys,

here is the "black marks" on my guitar. Sorry for the blur image as I do not have a super macro len.

The marks are actually inside the paint hence it cannot be wiped away by the surface and is "growing" more each day on other part of the guitar. [crying]

4493422847_2505c534f0.jpg

All I can think of is that these dark marks are caused by something your guitar has been in contact with and that the colour is 'bleeding' into your finish. What colour is the lining of your case?

It's mold.

Use Clorox bleach.

I'm kidding.

I dunno, something oil-based got caught in the paint at the factory?

The nitro lacquer kept it soft, and it's spreading over time?

Does that sound like what you're seeing?

Could have been the tiniest speck of grease trapped in the paint when it was sprayed.

I'm pulling everything in this post directly out of my ***, so don't treat it as the gospel.

White nitro is horrible in that regard, still I love it.

I'm pulling everything in this post directly out of my ***' date=' so don't treat it as the gospel.

[/quote']

At least it was greased. [blink]

I have no idea what to tell you about the black spots in the Finish, I have an Alpine White Custom that I just took delivery of in November and do not have any issues like what you are describing with the finish. As for the yellowing, that's going to happen to Gibson's white nitro finishes over time, as has been stated previously in this thread.

Insofar as the pickups go, my Custom has the 490/498 combo and I love the tones that I get with that combo and find I can do anything from a fat bluesy tone to balls to the wall metal. There really isn't anything I dislike about these pickups. I find the trick to the 490/498 combo is to 1) have a good tube amp that you're playing through, and 2) use the volume and tone controls on the guitar to fine tune the tone you're after...Les Pauls have a volume and tone control for each pickup for a reason.

I also have a Standard Traditional that has the 57 Classic/57 Classic plus pickup pairing, and this is a great setup as well. I find these can do a little more of the bluesy tone than can the 490/498, and these can get a good driving tone as well, again, however, to get the ideal tone out of this pickup pairing, you need to have a good amp and must manipulate the tone and volume controls on the guitar.

Thirdly, there is my Les Paul DC Pro with Burst Bucker Pros. These are also good sounding pickups, but in my opinion, they're nothing special, and they really have nothing on the 57/57 Classic Plus. These have a more 'open' sort of tone than the 57 pairing or the 490/498 and don't get the same saturated crunch that the aforementioned pickups get. Again the same rule of use the volume and tone controls along with a good amp for fine tuning the sound of these pickpus applies. While the Burstbucker Pros are considerably more mellow sounding than the 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus or the 490/498, they still sound substantially more aggressive than the Burstbucker 1/Burstbucker 2 combo found in many of the Custom Shop reissues (i.e. R7; R8; R9; R0).

I can't in good faith say that any one of the pickup combos I've got listed is better than any one of the others. They are all outstanding in their own right, but they each have a different flavor if you will. The 490/498 is very hot and modern sounding, teh 57 Classic/57 Classic Plus is still hot sounding, but has more of a vintage vibe, and the Burstbucker Pros are a much more mellow vintagey sounding combo when compared to the other two.

I swapped the 490r/498t for 57/57+ in my studio. I'm real happy with the results.

The black marks are just the evil coming out of your studio!!![cool]

When I swapped pickups in my Les Paul, I went with the Burstbucker Pros.

I already had the 57 Classics in other guitars, and thought I would give them a try.

They were the stock pickup in the Les Pauls beginning about 8 years ago, in place of the old 490/498 combo.

Gotta be a cool pickup, eh?

Shoulda gone with the 57's....

Agreed on that.

I find the 57's to be warm (hate using that word) and compressed (?),tubes love 'em. Yet they scream when you dig in to 'em too. Very versatile. My fave.

A BIG thanks to everyone for your inputs and suggestions for the pickup.

I guess '57 classic is a all time favorite for everyone.

For the black marks, I'm definitely sure is not caused by any stain accidentally I can feel is inside the paint.

Furthermore I have not touch her for these few weeks and keep her sleeping well in the hard case, I still see new dark mark surfacing out on the other part of the guitar.

Sighz. [biggrin]

I wonder should I take it back to the shop where I bought it.