Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson alpine white Studio

benstudio

Wouldn't hurt I guess....

Don't expect much though.

Gibson's original factory warranty - though it lasts a lifetime - does not cover finish issues of any kind.

And your guitar is a perfect example why.

Nitrocellulose is too soft and too vulnerable to guarantee its performance in the hands of God knows who.

And as I said before, white is the worst because it shows absolutely everything.

Also my favorite color on a Gibson...

For the black marks' date=' I'm definitely sure is not caused by any stain accidentally I can feel is inside the paint.

Furthermore I have not touch her for these few weeks and keep her sleeping well in the hard case, I still see new dark mark surfacing out on the other part of the guitar.

[/quote']

Are you SURE that the black is not coming from the lining of your case? If the lining is black I would seriously suspect that. The dye from the case can leech into the finish and it will look like it is in the finish, not on the surface. You could be right it might be something else, but I've seen this before.

I don't think you told us what colour the lining of your case was. If it is black then it could be worth a try seeing if the shop you bought the guitar from will swap the case for a white lined case if they have one.

Hi KL,

oops sorry I left that part out. The lining of my guitar case is white. The interior is fury white in color. I am pretty sure the dark marks are inside the paint from what I see.

I guess that is the price of having a white guitar.. Perhaps I should just close one eye on that.

Hi KL' date='

oops sorry I left that part out. The lining of my guitar case is white. The interior is fury white in color. I am pretty sure the dark marks are inside the paint from what I see.

I guess that is the price of having a white guitar.. Perhaps I should just close one eye on that. [/quote']

Well that rules out the case then. Having said that I have an olympic white stratocaster that I've had from new since 1993 and it is in a black lined case. Apart from the natural yellowing that comes with age it still has a pristine finish.

Also my 1966 Fender Electric XII in olympic white still has a nice finish, but very yellowed, and it lives in a Fender orange lined case.

There have been a few problems with the lining of Gibson cases over the years, with dye leeching into the finish of guitars. From memory I think it may have been from some of the pink lined cases. Having said that first off Gibson don't make the cases, and these problems seem to be fairly isolated.

Maybe you should contact Gibson. As someone has already pointed out the finish is not covered under the warranty, but you never know they might help you out if it is decided that the black marks are coming from something under the finish. Give them a call and let us know what happens.

<Check shop purchased at> Wouldn't hurt I guess.... Don't expect much though.

Gibson's original factory warranty - though it lasts a lifetime - does not cover finish issues of any kind. ...

... Maybe you should contact Gibson. As someone has already pointed out the finish is not covered under the warranty' date=' but you never know they might help you out if it is decided that the black marks are coming from something under the finish. Give them a call and let us know what happens.[/quote']

+3

I'm wondering if the body had been originally been sprayed with a coat or two of black at the factory, then for whatever reason switched to white and oversprayed (not stripped), and now the black is bleeding through. I know, grabbing at straws, but I've never heard of a white Gibby growing black spots - yellowing, picking up stain from fabrics like blue jeans or case linings, yes. Growing black spots, no.

Archived