Gibson Brands Forums

Would you take the drink?

daveinspain

This is a repeat of a post I did ages ago, some of you may remember it but most of you weren't here back then...

Imagine you are out in bar to hear some live music one night. A band comes on with an amazing guitar player, I mean this guy rips!! He has the best chops you have ever heard. His solos are well thought out, melodic but at the same time the guy shreds like no other. His tone is to die for. His riffs are original and the guy is an entertainer on top of all that. The whole place is amazed as this guy plays. So you think to yourself, I would give anything to play like that guy.... Suddenly someone comes up to you and strikes up a conversation. You start talking about what an amazing guitar player that guitarist is. With that they lean over and say, I'll tell you what... I am going to make you a once in a life time offer. I am going to buy you a drink, if you take the drink, and drink it, you will be able to play just as good as that guy or even better. You will be able to play just as good as your favorite guitar player but let me warn you your favorite guitar player will loose his ability to play and take on your playing ability...

Would you take the drink?

No.

I don't believe in bettering(?) myself if someone else will suffer a loss as a result. Which is one reason I'm a loser.

I agree. I don't think I could if that means that someone else would lose it.

Here is my question though, if someone is dead, what would happen then? Would I get his chops, but then all recordings of him sound like me?

I agree. I don't think I could if that means that someone else would lose it.

Here is my question though' date=' if someone is dead, what would happen then? Would I get his chops, but then all recordings of him sound like me?[/quote']

I had not thought of that.... No, nothing in the past would change and you would indeed have the skill of that person who is no longer with us...

No.

I don't believe in bettering(?) myself if someone else will suffer a loss as a result. Which is one reason I'm a loser.

Can I join this club seem to one of Honor and Integrity. Right on the money.

CW

All the implications of simply accepting an offered drink are more than I could live with. I mean' date=' even if the guy's prediction didn't work out, he'd STILL expect me to go home with him. Pah! [/quote']

Never said it was a guy....

I would be tempted... but it would be a waste. My favorite guitar players have played for millions of people. I'm too old to start a career like that. It would be robbing not only someone I respect, but the rest of the world of their talent.

I would remain a wannabe two-string power chord hack, in awe of his skill.

And I'm a big old redneck, so I'm always a little leery when offered a drink with fishy strings attached.

Shades of Robert Johnson and all....

I'm not paranoid - they really are all out to get me!

:-)

Naaah....

I may not be all that good either as a picker or a person, but....

Naaaah.

Besides, Joe Pass already is gone. <grin>

Seriously, I think that doing things you consider "wrong" sets up bad karma no matter what your personal religious beliefs might be. It's what's inside you.

I think I've met a lot of weak people and bad people covering crime in court, but I'd say only maybe a half dozen "evil" people who had no feelings of right and wrong beyond what seemed like fun they could get away with. Those folks would save your life at risk to their own, or nail you to a wall and laugh while they skinned you alive, depending on how they got support from their buddies.

The "take this drink and steal part of another person's being" ain't what I'd consider something to bring good karma. I think it'd have to be a bit more than weakness in most situations. Even with weak folks, or folks being "bad," I think the karma of this thing would be damaging. Even in the Robert Johnson type stories, the "devil" only wanted the picker's own "soul," not damage to others.

OTOH, if it was, "Take this drink and if you work at constantly improving your music, you'll have a good following for your music and lotza good-paying gigs," yupper. On the other hand... Hmmmm. I guess I'm too cynical to believe it.

m

Nah... I don't accept drinks from strangers... the world is full of loonies. I'm pretty sure I'd be thinking "this guy/gal is a freaking looney".

Besides, it'd be a waste of time... I am my favorite guitar player.

i'm not really interested in sounding or playing like anyone else but myself. i like trying to be unique. besides, i'm a little more into the journey than arriving at the destination. but being an alkie, i'll take the free drink without the strings attached....[crying]

i'm not really interested in sounding or playing like anyone else but myself. i like trying to be unique. besides' date=' i'm a little more into the journey than arriving at the destination. but being an alkie, i'll take the free drink without the strings attached....[biggrin']

Isn't this all just another version of "Crossroads"?

OTOH' date=' if it was, "Take this drink and if you work at constantly improving your music, you'll have a good following for your music and lotza good-paying gigs," yupper. On the other hand... Hmmmm. I guess I'm too cynical to believe it.[/quote']

Sorry to truncate your post here, but I just felt like pointing out that, unlike the other drink (which bypasses both good morals and plausibility,) the option that you mention here is more towards correcting this world's logical inconsistencies regarding the amount of effort given to a goal, and the outcomes of that effort. Of course, if this option were offered I'd take it, but there's no guarantee that I'd work at it sufficiently to really notice a difference.

As to the original topic--I may have alluded to this above, but just to emphasize it: NO. I may be a piss-poor guitarist (a notion which I'm not really certain of, but I can firmly state with all certainty that I'm nothing like Rory Gallagher,) but I'd rather maintain my integrity than to be given an easy solution to anything.

...Well...Rory isn't around anymore, so I suppose that it wouldn't really hurt anyone in my case. I suppose that I'd give it some thought, but ultimately there's still something wrong in my mind about the whole thing. Perhaps it's also that I'd be given more ability than I'd necessarily know what to do with. Just because I'd have Rory's skills, that wouldn't necessarily mean that I'd know how to use them, would it?

OK, I suppose that my situation is a little different now that I've thought it through more clearly. On principle I'm opposed to the whole thing, but there would be no real harm in taking it since my favorite guitarist's previous works would remain untouched, and there aren't any legitimate consequences in my case.

OTOH, I can't drink legally anyway, so perhaps it's just as well that my entire response is moot.

Archived