Gibson Brands Forums

Would you take the drink?

daveinspain

Rob...

Naaaah... I don't think it is. The Faustian bargain seems almost always to be one's own "soul," with nothing mentioned of specific damage to others - leaving that up to the one who sold his being to the Devil for whatever perceived benefit.

Yeah, the deal with the Devil has given at least one version of Faust (and other similar tales) the capability to then damage others, but it's not specific within the contract of any versions I've read about.

<EDIT> XDemonknight, good thinking on your part overall, I'd say. I think intentional damage of others brings bad karma. Learning of unintentional damage to others brings bad karma that may, it seems, be at least partly overcome by one's efforts toward being "good." Different religions and different cultures may define certain acts differently, but seem to me to all agree on that.

One thing of interest, though, might be a consideration of the placebo effect of the drink. If one is totally relaxed in one's musical efforts one is most likely to reach one's own potential talent... <grin> So... Hey, what can I say.

m

Lowdown...

Naaaah...

I don't think that one necessarily sells one's soul for rock any more than 60 years ago players sold their souls for jazz.

There's an element of "this is what I wanna do" involved; a bit of right time and right place; a bit of realism when time, place and such may or may not fit into a life...

If there's truly an element of selling one's soul, I think it's not necessarily going to result in being the best rocker one might be musically, but rather frustration and an overabundance of wishful thinking.

Yeah, at my age I can look back at a cupla my own crossroads that just missed happening by, in one case, less than half an hour from being on the road.

Instead I often ended up taking roads even less taken, yet I never ceased being me. The roads gave different vistas, perhaps, and different encyclopedias of experience perhaps. But "I" remained the same.

Or... perhaps I just never had anything worth selling anyway. <grin>

m

Lowdown...

Depends on who you were when you've started, and which crossroads you pass. You can take rough roads and still be who started the run - even if you don't make it very far or bring bad karma on yourself by not slowing down a bit for the potholes you see and a few you don't see until too late.

There were a lot of Vincents in that era. The world wasn't all that kind to kids of the era. Worse perhaps, "youth rebellion" became lionized in those crappy "teen movies" of the time. James Dean... etc. "Rebel without a cause," etc.

Those guys were who and what they were, no "deal" was needed to convince them take any road or drive at any speed, at least not from my perspective. They were following their own nature.

But then I'd say the same for myself.

m

No, I would not, for at least two reasons....

1) I would not want someone else to suffer because of my advancement and

2) there's something to be said for getting there on your own steam. This is akin to people who are born into wealth. I have known a few of those people and they have no comprehension of the value of hard work and effort. I've really struggled to have respect for people like that.

Sounds a little matrixy, like the "BLUE pill or the RED pill" offer.

I believe that if I need to rely on a drink (be it any kind of chemical) then I should give up playing now. I'd like to think I could be THAT good without the use of some kind of magic elixir. So, I'd have to say NO!

Hell yes - according to your updated rules on dead people I'm in. I would never steal a living persons talent but a deceased player doesn't lose much here so yep.

I understand the whole working for your talent and having your own sound but the the hard work in the world will never make me one of the greats.

So some were born to greatness, some have earned greatness and some few have toasted greatness #-o

And I get Duane Allman's talent and my talent will serve him just fine, what with him being dead and all [cool]

Hell yes - according to your updated rules on dead people I'm in. I would never steal a living persons talent but a deceased player doesn't lose much here so yep.

I understand the whole working for your talent and having your own sound but the the hard work in the world will never make me one of the greats.

So some were born to greatness' date=' some have earned greatness and some few have toasted greatness #-o

And I get Duane Allman's talent and my talent will serve him just fine, what with him being dead and all [cool

In some strange creepy way, I like your style[blink]

No, because he probably spent most of his life practicing and playing to get as good as he is. Plus I would like some sense of accomplishment if I did get as good because I believe if I was just handed talent I would end up not being happy with it down the line and probably end up envying someone elses playing.

I'm pretty pleased at my playing so far considering I completly sucked when I first started out. I have some recordings of practice sessions of mine when I started just to guage my progress. Listening to them now, my playing then compared to my playing now are worlds apart. [thumbup]

One more point--when Frank Marino's career was just getting off the ground, there were many comparisons between him and Jimi Hendrix. Some of the more outrageous claims being made at the time involved Marino, by some supernatural means, attaining Hendrix's abilities. Those who didn't believe those sorts of strange claims often tended to think of him as a Hendrix imitator. I like Frank's playing, but I have to admit that at times I tend to think that maybe he's too close to Jimi in terms of style.

So...what's my point? Someone does it once, it's innovation. Someone else does it again, it's old-hat.

I'd rather develop my abilities, style, etc. on my own, have something to show for my hard work, and be able to do things just uniquely enough so that they don't end up sounding too predictable, than to (by the work of some magic beverage) switch styles and abilities with another, more worthy player. Anyone who offers me a deal like that is a bit sketchy, anyway.

Well with the "dead rules" I'm in. I would take Andres Segovia's guitar skills and leave his dead *** with mine. I am pretty comfortable and satisfied with my guitar skills, but if the hypothetical came up, I would take his. I agree with retro about stealing the talent from the living- it would be a detriment to society and the actual player would be heartbroken (and I don't want to hurt Jimmy Page's feelings).

Archived