Gibson Brands Forums

My first lp

Turtleboy

I am about to buy my first LP & would like some assistance.

Which one should I buy, Studio, Classic or Standard, currently I own a MIA Strat deluxe & have a desire to own a really nice LP, obviously price is an issue, hence looking at the studio, but I want to be satisfied & not wish I had bought something more expensive, I only ever play at home. Sorry if I'm a bit vauge but any help would be appreciated.

You're going to hear a bunch of different opinions on this, so I'll offer mine...........

The Studio is a pretty good bang for the buck. While it's not loaded with some of the eye candy higher end models are, they're just as solid and reliable as the others and they won't break the bank.

The best thing you can do is go out and play a bunch of LP's. It will get you acquainted with them and you can form your own opinion as to what works for you. Good luck on your quest......................Les Pauls are great guitars!

just based on my personal opinion i'd say get a standard. if you don't get the one you really want you'll never be completely happy with the one you do get. i'd save up for a little longer and get your favorite regardless of the price. i also highly reccommend the vintage mahogany studio. play as many as you can (and don't just try les pauls, try some firebirds, sg's, es335's etc. don't just try gibsons either (yeah i know. gasp!) because you may end up liking fenders, or prs's etc. better. ). You never know, you may end up liking a really cheap guitar best.

i hope i helped. have fun buying and playing.

I've had Standards, Customs, Deluxes, a couple Personals and I will tell you, throw the rules out the window. Pick up a Les Paul and if it speaks to you, buy it. I've always had mixed feelings about the Studios, but only because it flew in the face of what LPs are supposed to be like... to me, buying a stripped down LP is like buying a Cadillac with no hub caps, but that's just me and no reflection on the instrument. And I sorta have my foot in my mouth because my current LP is a lowly '71 Deluxe that is much better than the fancier ones I've owned.

Long winded way of saying buy the one that turns your crank regardless of bling level.

Hi Turtleboy and welcome to the forums! I recently purchased my first LP as well and I have to agree with Plank_Spanker... this is an excellent opportunity to get out and play. I played studios, standards, DCs, SGs.. I even played a LP Menace. In the end, I liked the BurstBucker Pro pickups and the desert Burst finish... so I got a Standard. I have zero buyer's remorse and LOVE my new axe.

Have fun... and play 'em all!

Could not agree more...play as many as you can get your paws on. In the end, you are saving for a Les Paul. There are plenty of "cheaper" guitars out there, so don't short change yourself now, you've have already made the decision to go with the industry standard. I would recommend going with nothing less than a Standard, you'll really like the tonal range of the Burstbucker Pros. The only regrets I have over my guitar purchases was that I did not buy the Les Paul Standard to begin with.

PS Welcome aboard, looking forward to seeing what you end up with.

Welcome Turtleboy. Like ChanmMan I to fell victim to the Standard in Desert Burst back in 04 and have no regrets. The Burstbucker Pro pups did it for me and the Desert Burst is just stunning. It was my first time in a Guitar Center and I found a salesperson who put me in one of those private rooms and stood guard. He brought me as many different guitars as I wanted and about 45 min. later it was the Standard. Playing lots of different guitars is very good advise but so is waiting and saving for what you really want. If the Studio speaks to you than that's the one you should get. Your guitars have to inspire you to want to play them and if you settle, the inspiration will wear off as soon as the novelty does. Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the journey and let us know what you decide on.

Don

You made a great choice. The standard is the corner stone of the LP's. You now have a guitar that won't hold you back from being your best. Just make sure you get an amp that gives you a tone that inspires you to play.

Thanks for the welcome & comments, I will not be fitting a pickgurd as I understand they should only be fitted to a solid colour, after all it would be a shame to hide such a beautiful grain/finish behind a pickguard.

My amp which I have owned for 2years now, is a Vox AD30 VT.

BTW

My wife thinks I'm nuts, she said "How much, for a guitar!"

Women, they just don't understand, boyz need toyz.

I own a honey burst 1960 classic and love it.

I bought it second hand from the Guitar factory in Parramatta in Sydney and a guy had traded it on a Taylor (shame on him) and Im glad he did because I fell in love with it as soon as I picked it up.

If its a Gibson you are on the right track in any case.

After that its personal preference.

Thanks for the welcome & comments' date=' I will not be fitting a pickgurd as I understand they should only be fitted to a solid colour, after all it would be a shame to hide such a beautiful grain/finish behind a pickguard.

My amp which I have owned for 2years now, is a Vox AD30 VT.

BTW

My wife thinks I'm nuts, she said "How much, for a guitar!"

Women, they just don't understand, [i']boyz need toyz[/i].

I have played professionally since circa 1965 and have gone through more guitars in the past forty odd years than most people have had hot dinners. Hell! If I had only kept some of the axes I have had over the years.. I should have had a crystal ball back then.#-o

Very nice choice of guitar by the way, but I don't know where you got the impression that pickguards only go on solid coloured Les Paul's. They were designed to go on all Les Paul's, be they solid colour or burst. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Oh yeah! Women and guitars.. Tell me about it. My poor wife has had to suffer that one for the past thirty odd years.

Women are just far more practicle then us guys. The problem is that as soon as you have enough cash put a aside for a new one, either the bloody washing machine gives up the ghost or the central heating boiler needs servicing. It's called SODS law..LOL.

These days I do lots of gigs with my daughter who is a great singer and also teach guitar full time. One thing I would recommend to you now you have such a great guitar, is try and play out on maybe a few local jam nights. Not only does it hone your skills at twice the rate, but the wife can also see it being put to good use.. You have a ball up on stage, while she's contented with a G&T watching and having a night out.

Here's a pic of my current Les Paul with pickguard fitted.

http://www.historiclespauls.com/index.php?action=showgallery&id=161&requesturi=%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dshowmodel&model=%25&orderby=hits+DESC&volltext=

Phil.

Archived