Gibson Brands Forums

Any J-200 Jr. history buffs out there?

Jack6849

GC in Marietta GA has a 1993 J200 jr on the wall which I played a week ago. Also tried another 1992 at a different store. The maple/sitka on both had a dull/sluggish voice in the deep tones, not a clear tone to my ear. The mids-highs were excellent on both but the deep tones were a stopper for me. It's not like the HD28 bottom-out tone, just muddy to my ear. I think if you find one that has clear deep tones you'll have a jewel. Best wishes.

Hey, shotdsheriff,

I've owned my Bozeman Special Order J-200 Jr. for just a little over a year now, and I'm still loving it. It's such a comfortable Gibson size to play, and its J-200 features make it look very cool to my eye. As mentioned above, I had the original translucent pickguard changed for an opaque one by my Gibson dealer (Dave's Guitar Shop in La Crosse, Wisconsin). It was an undetectable repair that took them less than an hour to complete, and since then, I've had no more problems with this guitar.

Again, I ordered binding for my guitar's neck and headstock, and to me, that made it look like a "scaled-down" SJ-200, which is exactly what I was going for with this special order. I also ordered an Adirondack Spruce (Picea rubens) top on it, and, for my money, the Gibsons being built today with Red Spruce tops (I have three... including an SJ-200 "True Vintage" and a "Jackson Browne Signature - Model 1") just sound incredible. Hope you get something you really love... Gibson can build you a great acoustic guitar...

Best wishes,

Jack6849

• 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...

Hello all -

Late to the game here, but hoping you all can help.

I recently purchased what I think is a J-200 Jr, but it is labeled "J-200M."

It was made in '91 and has (wait for it) koa back and sides. I cannot find another one anywhere. Any ideas on if this guitar is a unicorn or if others exist in limited numbers?

1 hour ago, craigpj said:

Hello all -

Late to the game here, but hoping you all can help.

I recently purchased what I think is a J-200 Jr, but it is labeled "J-200M."

It was made in '91 and has (wait for it) koa back and sides. I cannot find another one anywhere. Any ideas on if this guitar is a unicorn or if others exist in limited numbers?

That should be a 2001.  J200jrs  were 92 93  guitars.    Do you have the serial number?  If Im not mistakin the j200 mini was designed and sold as a limited run EmmiLou Harris guitar at first.   I have never owned one. But I think its smaller than the J185 sized guitar  which the j200jrs were based off of. 

I could be wrong. 

Interesting to revisit this necro-thread. Rather perplexing to see a few folks complaining/musing that the J200Jr doesn't have the same deep well of clear bass that an SJ200 has. The name and decoration aside, they're VERY different guitars. I've played J200Jrs and L200s, and owned a J180, and none of them sound anything like an SJ200 at all...the Jr is a glorious guitar in its own right, but the name is something of a misnomer I think. Buying a Jr and hoping for it to sound like it's 17" namesake is a bit like buying a Westie and keeping your fingers crossed that it will bark like a St. Bernard.

One thing is for sure, though...this thread has really re-ignited my desire to own a J185. I really enjoyed my J180 and was very sorry to part with it, so I definitely see another 16" jumbo in my future.

1 hour ago, Jinder said:

Interesting to revisit this necro-thread. Rather perplexing to see a few folks complaining/musing that the J200Jr doesn't have the same deep well of clear bass that an SJ200 has. The name and decoration aside, they're VERY different guitars. I've played J200Jrs and L200s, and owned a J180, and none of them sound anything like an SJ200 at all...the Jr is a glorious guitar in its own right, but the name is something of a misnomer I think. Buying a Jr and hoping for it to sound like it's 17" namesake is a bit like buying a Westie and keeping your fingers crossed that it will bark like a St. Bernard.

One thing is for sure, though...this thread has really re-ignited my desire to own a J185. I really enjoyed my J180 and was very sorry to part with it, so I definitely see another 16" jumbo in my future.

As with any guitars the same model can very from one to another. I had an Everly J180. Thinner body was comfortable but I was unimpressed  unplugged. I had a J185 and was very impressed with it. 

• Like 1

The first Emmylou Harris small-body model was L-shaped, like the L-130, L-140 series (& the WM-00) - with a 14-3/4” lower bout width & available in 2003.  Also in 2003, there was a small-bodied J-2000 (jumbo shape) with a 25.5” scale, which I believe later morphed into a second Emmylou Harris model.

42 minutes ago, bobouz said:

The first Emmylou Harris small-body model was L-shaped, like the L-130, L-140 series (& the WM-00) - with a 14-3/4” lower bout width & available in 2003.  Also in 2003, there was a small-bodied J-2000 (jumbo shape) with a 25.5” scale, which I believe later morphed into a second Emmylou Harris model.

Here's ad's for the L200 . Looks like the ad started showing up in 2002

http://web.archive.org/web/20040701005931/http://www.gibson.com:80/acoustics/guitars/l-series/EmmylouPdf.pdf

http://web.archive.org/web/20020804215653/http://www.gibson.com:80/acoustics/guitars/L-Series/l-200.html

Edited by Dave F

Your guitar is a J-200Jr that was labelled "J-200M" probably because they hadn't settled on the "J-200Jr" name yet.  Officially, the J-200Jr was introduced in possibly late 1991 but more like 1992.  They are 16" across the lower bout, so they basically take the J-185 body, put on a maple neck, and dress it up with J-200 appointments like the bridge and the fretboard inlays.  They did not have fretboard binding in the original run, which was mostly 1992-96 or so, with the odd little run put out after that.  Yours has the white oval label which was used through 1993.

The J-200M -- for "Mini" -- is a smaller guitar, measuring around 15" across the lower bout.  That one was introduced in the 2000s, and has gone through several iterations over the years.  But it is different from what you have.

This is my '07 J-200Jr:

mwQ3CZESvDk6vOwMoz_OMH5b6wn2KlNz4RJ6nei9

Hope that helps.

Fred

Edited by J-1854Me
photo added
  • Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 2:04 PM, Dave F said:

As with any guitars the same model can very from one to another. I had an Everly J180. Thinner body was comfortable but I was unimpressed  unplugged. I had a J185 and was very impressed with it. 

I think this especially applies to the vaguery of Gibson specs...my J180 was cherry red, had J185 parallelogram inlays and was the same depth as a J185! It did have the 180 pickguards, but overall was a sort of mishmash of the two models. A nice sounding and unique looking instrument though, and a great live guitar with excellent feedback rejection thanks to the large pickguards.