Gibson Brands Forums

Black plastic Nut on new J45??

sharon mk

the modern J45 Standard has that logo.... not vintage correct' date=' but true. no decal. it's inlay these days. also, it's not plastic. new ones come with a graphtec nut. [/quote']

As Ed McMahon would say........."You are correct, sir!!"

About a year ago, the closest GC sent me a postcard that basically said come on in and take a look at our Gibsons that we have on sale! I don't usually follow up on their come-ons, but I was going to be in town anyway so I decided to take my postcard proclaiming that I was eligibe to redeem it for the discount on my next Gibson purchase and have a look. They had a number of Gibson acoustics, but what they had for J-45s were a used '06 and new '08 and '09 hanging side by side by side in their acoustic room. The '06 label listed it as a J-45 Modern Classic, the '08 was just a J-45, and the 09 was a J-45 Standard. The '07 and '08 were identical with Grover rotomatics, whiter than white plastic binding, Tusq nut and saddle and a decal logo. The '09 also had the Grovers, but the Gibson logo was MOP inlayed, a graphtec nut and Tusq saddle, and the binding was somewhat aged (yellowed or browned, you decided). Anyway, it was one of those extra 15% off sales that applied only to new merchandise so the used J-45 didn't qualify and the '08 was the cheapest of the 3 guitars. Because it sounded the same as the others, that's the one I bought. (People ***** and moan about Gibson consistency from one guitar to another, but I really couldn't tell any difference, and neither could the other two guys that were looking at those guitars at the same time. I'm pretty certain that they bought the other two that same day.)

Anyway, all three are/were (It's 2010 so I'm not sure which tense to use) fine examples of what Gibson Montana has/had to offer as their flagship J-45s.

My thoughts...........the inlayed logo, binding and graphite nut look cool on the newest offerings, I say just play them and enjoy!

Archived