Gibson Brands Forums

Is my gibson SG from 1961 or a reissue?

odiumimbues

If you bought that, for 200 bucks, and it's a Real Gibson SG...you stole it. Original parts, or not. It may not be premium

"collectable," but it may still be a great guitar...and certainly worth more than 200 bucks!

All that cosmetic stuff, can be fixed, or reconditioned. If the tone is there, and the playability is good/great! Just PLAY it!

CB

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you bought that' date=' for 200 bucks, and it's a Real Gibson SG...you stole it. Original parts, or not. It may not be premium

"collectable," but it may still be a great guitar...and certainly worth more than 200 bucks!

All that cosmetic stuff, can be fixed, or reconditioned. If the tone is there, and the playability is good/great! Just PLAY it!

CB[/quote']

it plays great and I am very confident that it is the real deal 1966 to 1967. NOt completely original in parts but the entire body is. THe tone is far more punchy and driven than a fender squire for sure. fender squires sound like steel on steel.

Not a '67' date=' they have the full batwing pick guard like mine.

This might help some. Read up...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibson_sg[/quote']

so my guitar is 66? I mean on the wiki it says that the small pickgaurd was in models from 1961 to 65 but my serial numbers say it was a 66, 67, or 68.

and there are no holes suggesting the bigger pickguard was on there.

Hmmmm...............post a good pic of the front of the head stock. Also it has a nashville bridge instead of an abr-1

............it may be an early reissue.....lem me go check some things.........

so far could be a 66.......could be a 68 .....both had the small guard and maestro.....need to see the holly inlay position.

And size of headstock..............

still looking...............ok could be an SG-62 reissue they made starting in 86

OK the 2001 ....61 reissue came with the maestro.......

Hmmmm...............post a good pic of the front of the head stock. Also it has a nashville bridge instead of an abr-1

............it may be an early reissue.....lem me go check some things.........

so far could be a 66.......could be a 68 .....both had the small guard and maestro.....need to see the holly inlay position.

And size of headstock..............

still looking...............ok could be an SG-62 reissue they made starting in 86

OK the 2001 ....61 reissue came with the maestro.......

whats a holly inlay position... and Ill take a picture of the headstock... is that what you need?

Dude I'm in love with that guitar. I'd so give 500 for it, if I had it that is. But there is something about it that just touches something in me. Which is what makes people buy guitars. I'm sure it's one of the reasons you got it.

Is the neck joint at the 19th fret or the 22nd?

My opinion (worth every penny you paid for it) is that you need to;

A.

Call Gibson Customer Service at 800-444-2766, Option 1.

B.

Give 'em the serial number, and get every last bit of info possible from them.

C.

If they have no records (very possible) write down even the remotest speculation they offer.

D.

Call Gruhn's in Nashville - hopefully Walter Carter is still there and he can give you more info.

E.

Pay the $50 or whatever they want to do an appraisal via detailed pics - if they recommend it.

F.

Clean it up as much as possible.

G.

Do whatever repairs are needed to make it playable - if they are minor.

H.

Play the hell out of it.

I.

Shop around for whatever parts you still need to make it right - be patient....

J.

Realize you may have more money in the guitar than it's worth in the end.

K.

Who the hell cares - it's a cool guitar and it's YOURS!

:)#-o

I can't get anything on the pot numbers...but by the holly inlay position I would say .....

.....You have a 1966 SG Standard or a 65 or 64 or 63..........also by the position of

the top screw on the truss rod cover.........all these things shift as the years get later.

Also the shape and position of the holly inlay changes and yours is an early design in a higher position to the tuning keys.

But hey I could be wrong..........I'll give you 1200 hunred clams for it right now.

OK here is a 99 headstock............the holly is different shape and position.........see

also mine came with a TRC that had SG on it but I pulled it off .....cause ....we all know it's an SG...and thats how

vintage are..........

Guitaretc046.jpg

OK I will give ya 1450 US dollars for your Geee-taarrr............

OK here is a 99 headstock............the holly is different shape and position.........see

also mine came with a TRC that had SG on it but I pulled it off .....cause ....we all know it's an SG...and thats how

vintage are..........

Guitaretc046.jpg

OK I will give ya 1450 US dollars for your Geee-taarrr............

You really think I can get that for it? I mean IM dam near in love with the thing now.

Are those two plugged holes between the speed knobs (not original)?

If so, looks like at one point it was wired with micro switches or something. Could've been rewired and the original pots replaced.

Still a cool guitar. I'd keep it. [lol]

Are those two plugged holes between the speed knobs (not original)?

If so' date=' looks like at one point it was wired with micro switches or something. Could've been rewired and the original pots replaced.

Still a cool guitar. I'd keep it. [lol

I have no idea what those are, It looks like holes for wiring for something. They are plugged with mahogany wood also.

I'm confused. Do you have any of the original hardware in your possession?

not sure.

I know the flip switch is.. the stopper might be.. the scratch plate should be.. the knobs should be..

but I have to study more and figure it out.

Archived