Gibson Brands Forums

Is my gibson SG from 1961 or a reissue?

odiumimbues

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
how can you tell?

Because there wouldn't have been one at all on that model, assuming it's a mid-sixties original. That's why those holes are there. Instead of a stop bar there was a tremelo system.

Look at my avatar.... no stop bar.

Because there wouldn't have been one at all on that model' date=' assuming it's a mid-sixties original. That's why those holes are there. Instead of a stop bar there was a tremelo system.

Look at my avatar.... no stop bar.

[/quote']

right okay, good explanation.

dam how to find a vintage tremelo system ?

this doesnt explain the hole between my volume and tone knobs does it?

Those holes were drilled at some point to allow for separate micro switches and then filled in.

Before you can locate a trem system you need to know which type was on it. The Deluxe Vibrato (like mine) or the Sideways Trem system as was on earlier models. The location of the original plate holes should dictate which system you'll need.

Google Image search these systems. That should help

Those holes were drilled at some point to allow for separate micro switches and then filled in.

Before you can locate a trem system you need to know which type was on it. The Deluxe Vibrato (like mine) or the Sideways Trem system as was on earlier models. The location of the original plate holes should dictate which system you'll need.

Google Image search these systems. That should help

cool I definitely will.

The Maestro, Deluxe Vibrato or the Sideways Trem are all pretty pricey.

Get ready to spend some $$$$$$ for original parts.

The sideways-acting trem was a complete and utter piece of sh!t from everything I've ever heard.

They were removed and thrown in the trash for a reason.

Just another $.02

The Maestro' date=' Deluxe Vibrato or the Sideways Trem are all pretty pricey.

Get ready to spend some [b']$$$$$$[/b] for original parts.

The sideways-acting trem was a complete and utter piece of sh!t from everything I've ever heard.

They were removed and thrown in the trash for a reason.

Just another $.02

I still have to pinpoint the exact year. A gibson customer service employee suggests that its a 1966 because of my serial number without the "made in usa" under it.

and if my pots arent original i think itd be pointless to make it vintage? I mean Im looking at vintage 1960's gibson sg's go for 4 to 8 grand depending on quality.

Saw a 1965 pots on ebay for 585.00 dollars.. and im guessing itll cost about a grand to a grand .5 to achieve full vintage. but I also need knobs, tuning pegs, probably the humbuckers, bridge and tail tremelo kit.

then is the question: do i refinish it? that will definitely make it nice looking but will take away the ability to call it vintage.

Vintage? Yes. Original? No. Restored? Yes. Expensive? YES. Resale value in today's vintage guitar market? LOW.

Only you can make the call. If you're gonna sink 3-4 grand into it, you might as well pick up a nice clean vintage (if that's what you're looking for) and use this as your all-purpose beater. Soooo many choices...

Fortunately, my consultation fees are low. You'll get my bill in the mail. [biggrin]

Vintage? Yes. Original? No. Restored? Yes. Expensive? YES. Resale value in today's vintage guitar market? LOW.

Only you can make the call. If you're gonna sink 3-4 grand into it' date=' you might as well pick up a nice clean vintage (if that's what you're looking for) and use this as your all-purpose beater. Soooo many choices...

Fortunately, my consultation fees are low. You'll get my bill in the mail. :-k [/quote']

lol .. yeah.. well i mean its a project thats fun to talk with others about.

there are too many choices.. it sucks. But as it is.. I can sell for more than 500 dollars if I wanteD?

Blackie offered 1450. That aint bad.

I would need to find out everything first.. I never jumped into gibsons until I bought this so I gotta learn em.. and so far through here I have learned A LOT! but I also like the sound and want to record a bit with it first.

I might sell it to blackie down the road...

The holes for the lyre vibrato behind the stop bar. Also' date=' here is an Allparts repro -

http://www.allparts.com/Long-Gibson-Style-Nickel-Vibrato-Tailpiece-p/tp-3680-001.htm

[/quote']

cool man thanks for the input.

is it possible to get this wood repainted the exact color it is now? I mean I have seen pics of repainted sg's and the reissues and they arent as rich in color.. they are brighter.

I like this dark cherry look.

how much do they cost to repaint?

I'm sure you could get price quotes that vary widely.

DON'T go cheap!!!

A bad refinishing job will be a waste of money and destroy the value of the guitar.

I suggest you find somebody who is recommended and well-regarded by many.

Talk to a few people until you find one you like and trust.

Pay him the asking price without complaint.

Not having the luxury of detailed pics, I have to ask - does it NEED to be repainted?

You'd be amazed at what some polish would do before the correct parts are installed....

I'm sure you could get price quotes that vary widely.

DON'T go cheap!!!

A bad refinishing job will be a waste of money and destroy the value of the guitar.

I suggest you find somebody who is recommended and well-regarded by many.

Talk to a few people until you find one you like and trust.

Pay him the asking price without complaint.

Not having the luxury of detailed pics' date=' I have to ask - does it NEED to be repainted?

You'd be amazed at what some polish would do before the correct parts are installed....[/quote']

theres big initials of someone carving in the back.. and a million dinks and nicks...

the neck is int he best shape along with the scratch plate and inlays... the head is a little banged up but you can tell that in the 60s or 70s or 80s someone really played the hell out of this guitar and didnt take it as a collectible.

I dunno.

See what the pros think.

See if they feel it's worth the investment, because much of the damage cannot be hidden with paint alone.

Maybe clean it up, find all the correct parts you can, and just accept it as it is?

Play the hell out of it since it's never gonna be worth Big Bucks.

I dunno.

See what the pros think.

See if they feel it's worth the investment' date=' because much of the damage cannot be hidden with paint alone.

Maybe clean it up, find all the correct parts you can, and just accept it as it is?

Play the hell out of it since it's never gonna be worth Big Bucks.[/quote']

true.. just like I said new to gibson stuff and I wanted to assault the situation full force if I had something special.

but the tone it gives is uncanning.. but here I am used to a fender squire lol..

which reminds me.. fenders dont sound as mean anymore now that I got this guitar.. but I do like the 57 telecasters.. they give a good vibe to me.

but dayum fender looks so cheap.

theres big initials of someone carving in the back.. and a million dinks and nicks...

the neck is int he best shape along with the scratch plate and inlays... the head is a little banged up but you can tell that in the 60s or 70s or 80s someone really played the hell out of this guitar and didnt take it as a collectible.

Try polishing it up a little bit and see what you think, it's been a very long time from the look of it. If you're still not satisfied I would take it to a professional - get a quote and make sure you get some good recommendations. A pro worth his salt won't mind giving a list of past customers who will tell you their opinion of his work. You can attempt to correct some of the dings with a hot soldering iron by placing a damp cloth against the ding and touching the iron to expand it to its original form but honestly I would just take it to a pro.

Definitely an early-'66 model. I used to have one (mine was all original but had a really bad headstock break though...kinda' mad at myself for selling it instead of getting it fixed!). Just like with the '64/'65 models having various combinations of nickel and chrome hardware during that transition, it's not uncommon to see really late-'65 or early-'66 models with the small guard but with the skinny nut-width and extended heel/smooth body joint of the later 60's models. Of course with yours some dummy not only removed the Maestro vibrola but they also apparently added some phase switches or something between the volume knobs...what were people thinking when they did that???

Anyhow, it's market "value" might not be all that much, due to the modifications, but it's probably a great stage guitar...and if it were me (and considering what you paid for it), I'd consider it a great candidate for restoration or at least a refinish (of course I'd find a replacement Maestro or slap a Bigsby on it) and a good cleaning/polishing of all the parts and hardware.

It's still got some soul, invest a little money and TLC in her and you'll be glad you did!

H-Bomb

Archived