Gibson Brands Forums

Got a LP Trad Pro, not very happy with it.

Sefrez

I got a Les Paul Traditional Pro a few days ago. I noticed that the intonation has been off ever since, and I have been trying to fix it. Once I get a string intonated, it will favor either the high notes or the low notes. So it's impossible to get the whole neck sounding good. I even took it to GC to get a guy to set it up. It seemed like he set the intonation correctly, but there was still some notes that I could pick that were majorly flat or sharp.

My Epiphone LP Custom, that I payed $600 for, (This Gibson is $2000), is much more accurate over the whole neck.

Also, this hasn't been the only problem with the guitar since I bought it. To list some:

1. The action was pretty much as far down as possible, strings "practically" laying on frets. [Corrected this]

2. The bridge pickup tone knob was very loose. [Corrected this]

3. The nut is very sticky on pretty much every string, G and B are worst. [Not corrected]

4. Has 3 scratches. One on the top, (above the 3-way toggle switch), at which it is a large brush-like scratch. Two on the bottom cutout at which is similar to the top. And Three which is an actual scratch like what a knife would create, on the bottom side of the guitar. [None removed. Don't know how, or if its possible to without refinishing]

5. Has two dings on the head where the neck ends. Almost like the guitar had been hung on something rigged that eventually dug into the finish/wood. [Not removed, don't know if it's possible to]

So you can see the guitar was pretty much screwed up from the beginning. I managed to fix everything but the scratches/dings, and of course, my main problem, intonation. Though I'm beginning to think that maybe it isn't the bridge that's not setup correctly, but rather that the frets were not placed correctly.

What's your thoughts? Am I being of too high standard? Should I try getting this thing setup again (FULL), or is it obvious that I should exchange it? Or maybe even forget the traditional pro all together?

Thanks,

Sam

It needs a good set up by a competent luthier.

Taking it to Guitar Center was a huge mistake.

Comparing it to your Epiphone LP Custom is bullsh!t, though I know it should be easily better.

What you describe here is typical Guitar Center practice, I've seen much worse in their stores.

1. The action was pretty much as far down as possible, strings "practically" laying on frets. [Corrected this]

A good set up will cure this once and for all - don't worry about it.

Typical on a guitar that was used as a display piece in the jungles of Guitar Center.

3. The nut is very sticky on pretty much every string, G and B are worst. [Not corrected]

Typical of Gibsons. Not a bad thing, a set up can include some quick filing on the nut. Replace it if you want.

4. Has 3 scratches.

One on the top, (above the 3-way toggle switch), at which it is a large brush-like scratch.

Two on the bottom cutout at which is similar to the top.

And Three which is an actual scratch like what a knife would create, on the bottom side of the guitar.

[None removed. Don't know how, or if its possible to without refinishing]

You bought a fxcked-up guitar. Sorry, but this is like buying a new Corvette then griping about the door dings.

5. Has two dings on the head where the neck ends.

Almost like the guitar had been hung on something rigged that eventually dug into the finish/wood.

[Not removed, don't know if it's possible to]

It's from a foam rubber display hanger. Nitrocellulose lacquer reacts with any petroleum products. Permanently.

Yes, I can see the guitar was pretty much screwed up from the beginning.

No, you're not setting too high of a standard.

You should get Gibson Perfection, and have every right to expect/demand it.

Problem is, if you're conducting business with Guitar Center you will never get it.

You own it now, so either return it for a full refund or bite the bullet and get it fixed correctly.

I recommend taking it to a Gibson-authorized repair center.

Call Gibson at 800-444-2766 and select option 1 for Customer Service.

Tell them how badly the dealer fxcked up the guitar, and that you want it made right so it functions correctly.

Ask them to recommend a repair shop, so Gibson can foot the bill.

Be polite, but firm, and don't take no for an answer.

One thing to remember - you're screwed on the finish troubles.

Gibson warranty does not cover finish issues of any kind - due to the fragile nature of the nitro finish.

Doesn't matter who fxcked it up - it's not Gibson's fault.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and while you're at Guitar Center, tell 'em Dave said "Suck my dxxk!"

Those *** holes have been destroying guitars and the retail business for twenty years...

[thumbup]

It needs a good set up by a competent luthier.

Taking it to Guitar Center was a huge mistake.

Comparing it to your Epiphone LP Custom is bullsh!t' date=' though I know it should be easily better.

What you describe here is typical Guitar Center practice, I've seen much worse in their stores.

A good set up will cure this once and for all - don't worry about it.

Typical on a guitar that was used as a display piece in the jungles of Guitar Center.

Typical of Gibsons. Not a bad thing, a set up can include some quick filing on the nut. Replace it if you want.

4. Has 3 scratches. One on the top, (above the 3-way toggle switch), at which it is a large brush-like scratch.

Two on the bottom cutout at which is similar to the top. And Three which is an actual scratch like what a knife

would create, on the bottom side of the guitar.

[None removed. Don't know how, or if its possible to without refinishing]

You bought a fxcked up guitar. Sorry, but this is like buying a new Corvette then griping about the door dings.

5. Has two dings on the head where the neck ends.

Almost like the guitar had been hung on something rigged that eventually dug into the finish/wood.

[Not removed, don't know if it's possible to]

It's from a foam rubber display hanger. Nitrocellulose lacquer reacts with any petroleum products. Permanently.

Yes, I can see the guitar was pretty much screwed up from the beginning.

No, you're not setting too high of a standard.

You should get Gibson Perfection, and have every right to expect/demand it.

Problem is, if you're conducting business with Guitar Center you will never get it.

You own it now, so either return it for a full refund or bite the bullet and get it fixed correctly.

I recommend taking it to a Gibson-authorized repair center.

Call Gibson at 800-444-2766 and select option 1 for Customer Service.

Tell them how badly the dealer fxcked up the guitar, and that you want it made right so it functions correctly.

Ask them to recommend a repair shop, so Gibson can foot the bill.

One thing to remember - you're screwed on the finish troubles.

Gibson warranty does not cover finish issues of any kind - due to the fragile nature of the nitro finish.

Doesn't matter who fxcked it up - it's not Gibson's fault.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and while you're at Guitar Center, tell 'em Dave said "Suck my dxxk!"

Those *** holes have been destroying guitars and the retail business for twenty years...

[thumbup]

Nicely put Neo...lol

I'm glad that we don't have guitar center in my parts, the stores here are so much worse, thats its common sense to know anything you buy from them is a high risk purchase....

Its also why I am learning to do everything guitar related myself, I don't trust anyone here with it.

WHY did you buy it, with all those things wrong? Was is from an "On-Line" dealer..Musician's "Feind," for example!

Take/Send it back, make them replace it Free of Charge, or demand your money back. There's no excuse, for any of that!

"No one can take advantage of You, without Your permission!" (Eleanor Roosevelt)...don't let them!

CB

Yes. I should easily be able to get my money back. Which is what I'm seeing to do. Though being that guitarcenter is so bad should I even bother getting them to order me another? If not, where should I buy then?

Thanks guys,

Sam

Where is Wake?

Are we talking about a Pacific island?

I'm being 100% serious here - I would buy off Ebay before Guitar Center.

If you order from Musician's Friend (I call 'em the MFers) at least it will more likely be a new guitar.

There's some shenanigans there as well, people return a guitar so it ships to someone else....

Sweetwater is one company I still hear good things about.

Seriously, shop carefully on Ebay.

Post the ones you're looking at on here for forum folks to view if you want opinions good/bad/indifferent.

Good luck with your search, it shouldn't have to be so damned complicated.

If you're outside the 48 States it gets much worse in a hurry....

Every guitar/situation is different. Although I am not fond of GC stores generally, I bought a Traditional Pro several weeks from a local GC store, in part because I had to touch/smell/feel what I was to going to buy. The intonation of the guitar I did buy was slightly off but it was easy to adjust. Everything else was fine. I guess that I just got lucky. I am impressed with my Tradition Pro, a good value, I think.

Where is Wake?

Are we talking about a Pacific island?

I'm being 100% serious here - I would buy off Ebay before Guitar Center.

If you order from Musician's Friend (I call 'em the MFers) at least it will more likely be a new guitar.

There's some shenanigans there as well' date=' people return a guitar so it ships to someone else...

Sweetwater is one company I still hear good things about.

Good luck with your search, it shouldn't have to be so damned complicated.

If you're outside the 48 States it gets much worse in a hurry....

[/quote']

Music123 is pretty good too, I ordered everything I have from there...no issues with anything,

Well... I got another story about the guitar. Just found out about it. First off, I took it back just a few hours ago. The guy that took it back said something like "I shouldn't really be telling you this, but that guitar has already been taken back twice". So if he is telling the truth, then some idiots must have screwed with the guitar, either while in GC or the two that had owned it before. But that makes me wonder why the first took it back. The guy that sold me it told me it was just taken out of the box (not the guy that said it had been taken back twice). So either he lied when he said that, or he didn't know what was going on. Not sure which is worse/better...

Anyway, this guy seemed nice, and said that he found one in a warehouse, (never opened or displayed in GC, if he is honest), he could order for me. So I said ok to give it one more chance. Because if it is true, it is a good chance that the guitar would be right, correct? He said Gibson would not send something out like this, and that someone created the mess this one was in. And I believe that.

Either way, Ill see.

P.S.

When I said I compared the Gibson to my Epiphone, I was just comparing intonation. The Gibson was obviously better as far as electronics (You can get all kinds of tones with the knobs, usually Epiphone is only best at 10, 10, 10, 10 lol) and the brightness of the tone.

But also note, I think I got lucky with my Epiphone, Plus I put some Gibson pickups in it. Bridge - 57 Classic Plus, Neck - 57 Classic. [cool] So it sounds pretty good compared to your average Epiphone.

Thanks,

Sam

I'll never understand a complaint about intonation. If I ranked the skill level for tuning a guitar as 1/10, setting the intonation would be 2/10. You're just tuning the guitar at the 12th fret by adjusting the saddles. Simple as can be.

A bad set up --- as you alluded to with the strings too low --- will possibly cause some intonation issues. And a guitar, at least in my experience, is going to play a little bit sharp on the first few frets on most of the strings. I've always found that the G is especially sharp on the 1-3 frets.

... I've always found that the G is especially sharp on the 1-3 frets.

Check the nut. The bottom (depth) of the G slot is probably too high off the fretboard. In that condition, pressing the string down close to the nut, like on frets 1, 2 or 3, stretches the string slightly, causing the note to be sharp. A guitar with a properly cut nut does not have this problem.

Check the nut. The bottom (depth) of the G slot is probably too high off the fretboard. In that condition' date=' pressing the string down close to the nut, like on frets 1, 2 or 3, stretches the string slightly, causing the note to be sharp. A guitar with a properly cut nut does not have this problem.

[/quote']

Bk you hit the nail on the head there. The nut being cut to high will do it

every time.

CW

I'll never understand a complaint about intonation. If I ranked the skill level for tuning a guitar as 1/10' date=' setting the intonation would be 2/10. You're just tuning the guitar at the 12th fret by adjusting the saddles. Simple as can be.

A bad set up --- as you alluded to with the strings too low --- will possibly cause some intonation issues. And a guitar, at least in my experience, is going to play a little bit sharp on the first few frets on most of the strings. I've always found that the G is especially sharp on the 1-3 frets. [/quote']

Yeah, I know how to tune a guitar, and intonate it. Heck, I could do it without a tuner. After all, it's not the tuner that's noticing these sharps/flats, but my ears. Saying it's a 2/10 is like calling me an idiot, and trust me, it wasn't just intonation as I have found. You could set the intonation perfect, but there would still be very bad notes.

-Sam

Good luck, Sefrez...hope the new (ordered) one, is all you hope/want it to be. "I" would talk to the manager,

about the fact that the one you got, was returned "Twice," previously. Someone, should have been looking at

it, the first time...and determining if it needed to be "set-up," repaired, or sent back to Gibson, before it was

EVER allowed out on the sales floor, again. But...that's "Guitar Center," for you...too many of them, anyway.

There are good ones, as I've shopped in 3, in L.A., for 20 years, that were a pleasure to deal with. So, they're

out there.

Again...Good Luck!

CB

The guy that sold me it told me it was just taken out of the box (not the guy that said it had been taken back twice). So either he lied when he said that' date=' or he didn't know what was going on. Not sure which is worse/better...[/quote']

Both are extremely bad. Most likely he lied to you. I can't believe that ANY salesperson can be this clueless...

Typical "shop wear" scenario.

I tried out close to 5 Trad Pro's before before going home with the one I currently have.

While at the GC in San Francisco on of the employees took a needle nose plier to the bridge wheels in front of me. At that point I said "no thanks".

I played every single one in the store that night and walked out empty handed.

The following week I drove out to the El Cerrito GC and the guy handed me one that had not yet made it to the floor. It felt just right from the moment i held it.

It's been almost a year and still get sprung every time I play it.

I know what you mean. Their was one Traditional Pro that I played that felt great. But it got sold before I could by it. The action was nicely set, with virtually no fret buzz. Seemed to be all setup. It also was quite lighter than the others (a good thing!).... Hopefully this one that the guy is ordering will have that same "right" feel.

If not, I'm not sure what Ill do from there.

Yeah, sounds like the guitar was in the shop for awhile before it was sold to to you. Generally the quality of guitars in those shops that have large numbers of customers just passing through is more often than not really aweful. The scratches and the dents on the head are typical problems in high traffic shops.

The set up stuff can all be easily fixed. I'd send it back and ask for a guitar that is literally straight out of the box!

Both are extremely bad. Most likely he lied to you. I can't believe that ANY salesperson can be this clueless...

Salesperson wasn't clueless, he just doesn't have any scruples, and will do and say anything to make a sale. Seems to be pretty typical for GC and used car lots..... IMO

Hope the next one is perfect!

Archived