Gibson Brands Forums

Got a LP Trad Pro, not very happy with it.

Sefrez

Got my new Les Paul. :) Guitarcenter, yesterday left me a message telling that the box had arrived. I picked up the box and brought it home (didn't want to open it there and test it on their equipment, always annoying). The box wasn't open, and had been closed by Gibson. I cut open the sides (was taped), and pulled it out. It came in a hard shell case, as I knew it would. I opened the case and first thing I noticed was that the guitar was MUCH lighter than the one I had had before. It ways about 7-8 pounds, which is good for an unchambered traditional. I wish I had weighed my previous one, but I can say it weighed at least 3 pounds more. Felt like it was full of led. So this one is much more light on my body!!! Don't know what was wrong with that last.

The binding (especially the fret binding) is much more accurate and smooth than the last.

It has virtually no scratches. Only very light ones that would be stupid to complain about.

The seam of the two wood pieces on the plain top is much more visible on this one than the other, but this is neither a good thing or bad thing really. I guess it's because the two halves' shades are a bit different. But this is what you get with a plain top, all the maple wood grains. :)

The intonation seems to be about dead on. It could be more dead on, but it's definitely good enough for me. As long as it's accurately tuned (I tune it by harmonic picking at the 12th fret, works better with my tuner), it sounds pretty spotless on "errors".

I love the strings Gibson puts on their Les Pauls. They are very light and bright sounding, yet they are gauge 10 or 0.01/inch. Anyone know what Gibson strings these are? I like them much more than Ernie Ball's, at which I have mostly used in the past.

There were no loose knobs on this one. Meaning no ruff handling. :) I finally got the jack loose my self though, so I tightened that up quite a bit. Shouldn't go loose on me anytime soon now. :)

The neck feels a little better on this one also. The last was too smooth'n sticky (Some have a problems with this, some don't. Personally I don't, but I like a satin feel more). So I'm able to slide faster and more accurately over the neck.

Over all, I think this might be a keeper. :)

100_2274.jpg

You will notice how the faded red is quite thick at the bottom, and that there is a ligher bar going over it. This is all in how the light hits it! If you change the direction, it changes. :o So no, the look is not a deformation of the body.

-Sam

Lovely plain top Sefrez.

I've been following the saga and am really happy it worked out in the long run.

I was quite worried about what my R0 would be like when I opened the box. Worried for nothing. Came out perfect. I just need to lower the action a little bit. But that isn't a flaw, just a preference.

Congrats.

Dave

Thanks, guys.

When I had originally bought the guitar the seller was trying to get me to by some warranty plan or something another. He said it's with Gibson and it covers things like fret wear and neck bows. It would cost me an extra $150, and I have a few days left to decide if I want to add it. Is it really worth it?

Thanks,

Sam

Archived