Gibson Brands Forums

Practice Amps

Ollie

Guest BentonC

Cool- next time I'm in a guitar shop, I'll give one a whirl. One thing I've always had a hard time getting into solid state amps with is the "light overdrive" tone. Seems like most of them will get the "chainsaw" uber-distortion thing down, and some have a really good clean tone (Roland seems to be pretty good with that), but they seem to fall short on the slightly overdriven tone- which is where I play most of the time. I'll give it a try sometime and let you know what I think. Thanks for the tip! [thumbup]

• 1 month later...

When I did a system for my home studio (2 amps and 4 monitors), I probably did it more than a year when it was time, simultaneously, I made a channel for my guitar. And so far I have enough of this. Though, maybe, it would be nice to buy some industrial guitar cabinet or preamp. But in my country I am afraid to buy them. [blink] . It is better I will make by myself.

Guest BentonC

When I did a system for my home studio (2 amps and 4 monitors), I probably did it more than a year when it was time, simultaneously, I made a channel for my guitar. And so far I have enough of this. Though, maybe, it would be nice to buy some industrial guitar cabinet or preamp. But in my country I am afraid to buy them. [blink] . It is better I will make by myself.

Why are you afraid to buy them there?

Why are you afraid to buy them there?

We have too many second-rate goods, even marriage. And if a decent model or brand then the price is quite high. When imported goods come to us to market they have overly inflated price after customs. And I is a fastidious person as regards sound, I do not want to take a mediocre product and drive up the price - too.

Guest BentonC

We have too many second-rate goods, even marriage. And if a decent model or brand then the price is quite high. When imported goods come to us to market they have overly inflated price after customs. And I is a fastidious person as regards sound, I do not want to take a mediocre product and drive up the price - too.

That makes perfect sense. (funny about the marriage comment too!)

That makes perfect sense. (funny about the marriage comment too!)

Oh sorry about marriage. This is the coincidence of the different meanings of one word in Russian [confused] (marriage and the defect are marked in Russian by one word: брак), I was referring as the defect, of course. I.e. that phrase should sound like: "We have too many second-rate goods, even with defects."

Guest BentonC

Oh sorry about marriage. This is the coincidence of the different meanings of one word in Russian [confused] (marriage and the defect are marked in Russian by one word: брак), I was referring as the defect, of course. I.e. that phrase should sound like: "We have too many second-rate goods, even with defects."

hahaha! i gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

• 1 month later...

For practice and rehearsing, I would suggest the ZT Lunchbox! (@299.99) I just love it, it's loud and you can carry it anywhere. The sound is quite clean and if using high gain, will basically give you a warm overdrive. It is NOT a tube amp... but rated @200w.

If you reaaaally need it to be a tube amp, then in that range you could try:

- Epiphone Valve Jr (5w) @159.99

- Epiphone Valve Standard (15w) @299.99

- Fender Champion 600 5W 1x6 Combo Amp @169.99

- Vox AC4TV 4W 1x10 Tube Guitar Combo Amp @249.99

- Fender Super Champ XD Guitar Combo Amp @299.99

- Blackheart BH5-112 5W 1x12 Little Giant Tube Combo Amp @349.99

I hope it helps, but I really love the Lunchbox...

• 9 months later...

I have a Fender Vibro Champ XD. It's not a true valve amp, more of a hybrid, but it does produce some good sounds and it's great to record with . . . and it's cheap.

They sound great! I played one and I have a 78 Vibro Champ myself. The only difference is the XD does not have a rectifier tube. It still is a tube amp! It is not a hybrid. It has tubes on both pre and power stages.

I have a Lab Series L-3 with a Black Widow 12". Very transparent amp. It really allows the sounds the sweet sound of my SG to sing. These still show up an eBay from time to time.

Lab Series amp designs were a collaboration between Moog and Gibson.

There are many out there both tube and solid state. Low watt amps sre still very loud so you might want to get one with a headphone input. Usually the solid state ones accomadate with this more. It is more expensive to put headphone inputs into a tube amp. If this feature is important to you, because you want the warmer tube tone, then you might want to consider a Marshall Class5 or, a Vox Lil' Night Train. The Champ suggestion earlier was an excellent suggestion as well. I have a Silverface VC I'm very happy with. Of course Champs and VCs do not have headphone inputs! They are very loud and clean 6 watters!

Archived