Gibson Brands Forums

To sell or not to sell?

thejay

I am sure most of us go through this every once in a while or some more than others due to GAS... but do you keep guitars/amps/pedals that you no longer use? or do you sell them as soon as you no longer want/need it?

For example I have a SG Standard - wonderful guitar but I hardly play it because of the others I own just because I prefer the sound/feel of the others for various reasons. My second Gibson and my only one at the time and I played it for years but it has slowly been hiding away in my closet for the better part of two years now. Does she stay or does she go? For now she has stayed where she is and comes out every once in awhile....

I could say the same for an amp and a few pedals as well

I'm a pack rat so you probably don't want my advice. Fortunately, my girlfriend is the exact opposite; however, she never interferes when it comes to my gear as she knows and acknowledges that guitar is my passion.

I have a few guitars that I really should (and actually want to) get rid of though as I almost never play them. A couple are pretty rare though so that twisted logic makes me hold on to them rather than selling them to someone who might appreciate them for what they are. You are agonizing over an SG Standard that you could replace VERY easily, even by purchasing brand new through Musician's Friend. I, the pack rat, would dump it.

Sell it.

I do not buy and sell guitars often, maybe because I think a lot before buying.

A lot of the regret of selling a guitar comes from nostalgia, if you do not have an emotional attachment to the guitar you do not have to worry about that part.

Another reason we tend to regret selling is that we all want more guitars and gear, so we ask ourselves why did I sell that guitar or pedal? I could have it all, the new and the old.

Last year I sold some gear I was not using and it was great to get some cash and free some space. do not regret it one bit.

When the love has gone...move on. SELL!

I agree.

No point in keeping stuff you don't use anymore, someone somewhere might give it love and use it a lot.

Sell what you don't use man, I do it all the time, I've sold 20 or more guitars and have only regreted selling one of them, and that one was sold because I really needed the money at the time, so it doesn't really aply to the whole "sell what you don't use" concept.

20 or more, and I've never looked back, I can even tell you this, when I go to a store and find the same guitar in there, I don't even play it or give it a look.

How does the SG Standard play and feel? Obviously you play other guitars more because they probably play and feel better. Maybe you should sell the SG and start saving up for another guitar that you just can't live without. Love her a couple of times before you let her go.

Keep It! Even if you don't play it much, it shows you still like it. If all you do is take it out and look at it, it's yours. I have found by my own bad moves, many times you can't replace the same model. Or if you can find another, the one you had was in a lot better shape. Just my opinion, good luck.

As "the old guy..."

I'd give anything to have back some of the guitars I dumped or traded because at the time I didn't care much for them for what I was doing at the time.

Then there are the four I kept regardless... Two mid '70s EA Ovations, the Guild SG clone with the carved top and the 175. Ain't played the banjo in years, nor the mandolin.

I disliked the 175. Kept it 'cuz... well, it was pretty.

Some 30 years later I said the heck with it, put on a different kinda strings and did some adjustments and now you'd get it only by prying it from my cold, dead hands. The SG is still my #2 instrument for playing exactly the same stuff.

Years ago the decision was made to end my *****ing about this or that firearm or guitar or amp I'd traded away and wished I had back.

If I can't afford to buy it without a trade, I don't. I also know that a quality instrument that I'm not using now might be my main ax in another cupla years. Yeah, I'm old, but I ain't dead yet.

m

If you don't really like the guitar and selling it would allow you to upgrade then I don't see why not.

Maybe I'm just being sentimental or emotional but I really don't feel like I could replace my SG Standard. I've never played another that felt the same or better. Mine seems to have a narrower neck (fretboard width wise) than most and that's what I like. Not only do I feel like my SG is legitimately different from most but it was my first real guitar and I learned everything I know on it. I played it in my first bands with it and I recorded my first songs with it. So I'll never sell my SG. But I guess it's different for me.

If you don't really like the guitar and selling it would allow you to upgrade then I don't see why not.

Maybe I'm just being sentimental or emotional but I really don't feel like I could replace my SG Standard. I've never played another that felt the same or better. Mine seems to have a narrower neck (fretboard width wise) than most and that's what I like. Not only do I feel like my SG is legitimately different from most but it was my first real guitar and I learned everything I know on it. I played it in my first bands with it and I recorded my first songs with it. So I'll never sell my SG. But I guess it's different for me.

+1

For me, there is some stuff I won't be able to sell. A lot of selling gear is for upgrades, free up space, it doesn't get used, etc. But there are some things that hold sentimental attachment. The only thing is, if you think you will regret selling it, don't!

Sell it for what - $600?

If you try to trade it for something (usually a stupid move money-wise) it will be worth jack.

Can you make money on it, to give you a good reason to sell it?

If you can't do any of the above, you're all but giving money away. I'll take some!!!

And later, when you decide to replace it (trust me, you will) what's a new one gonna cost?

What is the old saw about the stock market - "Buy high/sell low" or something to that effect?

I've bought and sold dozens of guitars, and lost my *** on all but a couple of them.

I say keep it.

Put a new set of strings on it, shine/polish until it sparkles, drop-tune it half a step.

Put it in the case for safe keeping.

Take it out every couple of months to make sure the neck is okay.

Before you know it, you'll have a 20 year-old SG Standard in great shape as part of your collection.

My own particular method of avoiding this?

Try to be smarter when buying so you don't have to dumb when selling.

I seldom bought a guitar on impulse.

I knew what I wanted when I bought each one that I have now.

Sell it for what - $600?

I say keep it.

Put a new set of strings on it' date=' shine/polish until it sparkles, drop-tune it half a step.

Put in in the case for safe keeping.

Take it out every couple of months to make sure the neck is okay.

Before you know it, you'll have a 20 year-old SG Standard in great shape as part of your collection.[/quote']

I agree with Neo.

Again.

I have no idea, what YOU should do....but, I've regretted every guitar I've ever sold,

to some degree, or another, and for various reasons. I should have just stored them,

in the house, instead. But, hindsight is always 20/20. However...If you're not a person,

that collects, or has a tendency for "emotional" attachements, to your instruments, then

sell it for as much as you can get, and move on.

Good luck....whatever your decision.

CB

Always a hard choice - depends on the guitar if it's something special with great tone or amazing looks then hell no keep it - tough to replace and always gonna be some regret down the road when you need it. The reverse is true also if it's a average or common guitar that doesn't stand out just getting older isn't gonna make it special. SG's are as common as cat crap so if it's a keeper than you would know it by now if it's not try to find one that is.

You might not want to listen to me though on this one, I'm not a SG fan. I've owned literally hundreds of guitars over the years have 70-80 right now and only have one SG out of the whole group. And it's a faded model that just sings for some reason, other than that I don't really like them and honestly never have.

Archived