Gibson Brands Forums

To sell or not to sell?

thejay

I sure wouldn't sell it for $600 I will tell you that...I realize with the price of the Standards now it's not a great time to sell at all. I bought it 5 years or so ago and that is what I wanted at the time, lusted over it infact for years... as I have grown in my music and bought/sold many other guitars it just gets played less. I have kept it b/c of the emo tie to it and take it out to play every once in a while as I said. Still don't know what to do :)

I could always hold on to it, doesn't really take up that much space and it is nice to play from time to time

• 4 weeks later...
I sure wouldn't sell it for $600 I will tell you that...I realize with the price of the Standards now it's not a great time to sell at all. I bought it 5 years or so ago and that is what I wanted at the time' date=' lusted over it infact for years... as I have grown in my music and bought/sold many other guitars it just gets played less. I have kept it b/c of the emo tie to it and take it out to play every once in a while as I said. Still don't know what to do [confused']

I could always hold on to it, doesn't really take up that much space and it is nice to play from time to time

Sounds to me like you have answered your own post. You obviously aren't ready to sell it, or it wouldn't be such a hard decision.

I sure wouldn't sell it for $600 I will tell you that...I realize with the price of the Standards now it's not a great time to sell at all. I bought it 5 years or so ago and that is what I wanted at the time' date=' lusted over it infact for years... as I have grown in my music and bought/sold many other guitars it just gets played less. I have kept it b/c of the emo tie to it and take it out to play every once in a while as I said. Still don't know what to do [confused']

Think I just heard you answer you own question.

Unless you wanna give it to me to hold for ya.

Don't sell it. I had to sell 2 guitars in my life. the first was a 1973 walnut colored SG Standard,(my first electric)bought for $215, the 2nd was a 1976 Strat bought for $500.Think about what they are worth today. I still regret selling them to this day. It was only the need for the money, that i sold them. If you wait , you'll always have the option. And no regrets.

I'm kinda in the middle here - if you need the money or want to upgrade then sell it. But if it's a really good SG or has sentimental attachment why lose money on it, it's not like clothing it's not gonna go out of style. The only reason I would say sell for sure is if there's nothing special about it and it's just like any other SG you could buy anywhere but then why did you buy it to begin with unless it meant something to you.

I regret many of the guitars Ive sold over the years but Ive never regretted the one's Ive kept and started playing again later :-

You seem to have an emotional connection with it so you would probably regret selling it.

Personally I'd sell it. The only guitar I've never sold but never play is my very first guitar.

Like a few others here I've sold rather a few instruments over the years and the only (slight) regret I have was selling my '64 Strat., but even then I don't think about it that much at all. My current #1 is so much better than the Strat I'd have regretted not buying that one for the rest of my life/until a better one comes along - whichever comes first...

Archived