Gibson Brands Forums

Why Wrap strings over stop tail piece on LP?

STAR CHILD

Fxcks EVERYTHING up....

[angry]

Okay, I'm kidding.

:-)

I don't like it, I don't understand what anybody sees in it, and I don't recommend it.

But hey, that's just me...

If (insert guitar god's name here) does it, then it must be cool, eh?

Check this link out for the Con aspect of the Pros & Cons...

www.rattlesnakeroadhouse.com/TopWrapping.html

What about screwing down the tail piece flat to the body' date='

what does this do?[/quote']

If you screw the tailpiece right down then the strings will impinge on the back of the bridge assembly which is not good.

the strings will impinge on the back of the bridge assembly which is not good.

Why not?

What's the big deal about the strings bending slightly over the back of the bridge?

Been that way since 1956 at Gibson, and since 1993 on every Gibson I've owned.

Fxcks EVERYTHING up....

[confused]

Okay' date=' I'm kidding.

I don't like it, I don't understand what anybody sees in it, and I don't recommend it.

But hey, that's just me...

If (insert guitar god's name here) does it, then it[i'] must[/i] be cool, eh?

Check this link out for the Con aspect of the Pros & Cons...

www.rattlesnakeroadhouse.com/TopWrapping.html

+100000

Keep in mind.....tone and talent come from your fingers not your guitar!!!

Neo...just out of curiosity, have you ever tried top wrapping your strings? They feel different and that's why some people like it. Your first post cracks me up. If this were a thread on having your guitar autographed by somebody famous, I'd say the exact same thing.

Been that way since 1956 at Gibson' date=' and since 1993 on every Gibson I've owned.

[/quote']

Those old LPs had ABR-1 bridges. Every LP I have has an ABR-1; all my tailpieces are slammed and none of the strings touch the back of the bridge. An advantage the ABR-1 has over the Nashville, I suppose.

I recently took a book out of the library (I know… guitarist read???)

It had an interview with Les Paul and he stated that he wanted the wrap over tail piece because of the way he palm muted the strings at that end.

As you see Ted got his way not Les…

The rest is now stuff legends are made of

Neo...just out of curiosity' date=' have you ever tried top wrapping your strings? [/quote']

Not on any of my guitars.

Played probably a dozen Les Pauls strung that way though.

Looked like sh!t, played no differently, and seeing the stress on those posts made me cringe.

Kinda like watching somebody drive the wrong way onto the freeway - sooner or later....

Your first post cracks me up.

You're welcome.

If this were a thread on having your guitar autographed by somebody famous' date=' I'd say the exact same thing.[/quote']

You already have.

We've fully and completely established that already' date=' in several threads, repeatedly, ad nauseum.

Those old LPs had ABR-1 bridges.

Every LP I have has an ABR-1; all my tailpieces are slammed and none of the strings touch the back of the bridge.

An advantage the ABR-1 has over the Nashville, I suppose.

All my tailpieces are slammed and none of the strings touch the back of the bridge either.

Been that way since 1993, like I said...

I've tried it and it DOES feel different. The strings feel looser than normal. I didn't like it but others may.

So' date=' we agree then?

No?

Sounds like we actually agree to me....

Then what exactly is the point of your post?

My ex-wife used to do that...

Start an argument, well, not really an argument, but just to be a bit contrary, and for what?

Not really to make a point, because as it unfolded there really was no point to be made.

Still, I had to be careful to not disagree and "start" a fight - even though I didn't know what the hell she wanted.

When it was all settled and done, and she would leave the room pouting, I still had no clue.

Facts were facts beforehand, nothing had changed, and had I just listened to her go in circles for an hour.

For what?

Didn't you just recently [b']marry[/b] a woman?

[blink]/ :-k [blink]/ [blink]/ [blink] [blink]/ [blink]/ [blink] [blink]/

I tried it a while back for just one set of strings. Personally couldn't tell the difference in the way it played other than a little different feel where I rested my pick hand. However the next time I went to change strings, I could definitely feel where the strings had scared up the back side of the tail piece. No more top wrapping for me, but hey, what do I know anyways, I'm the kinda jerk that likes EMG's in my Custom! [biggrin]

I top wrap because I'll break my strings if i don't. If i just string through, the stop bar tailpiece cuts my strings. Top Wrapping doesn't really change anything. It hasn't changed my sound all too much. Nor has it damaged anything. I've noticed my strings lasted twice as long.. But it'll probably be different for other people.

Its just like with strat back plates, since my first guitar (peavey strat copy) to my current am standard ive always taken the back plate off, it sounds more open, you can feel more vibration in your gut maybe!? But anyways Eric Johnson thinks it sounds better too so im sticking by that!

By the way i also top wrap on my Gibsons, leave the trem arm out of my jazzmaster most of the time due to slight buzzing and always no pick guard on a Les Paul.......ever.

I think most of the time it all means little except its the way I prefer it and at the end of the day thats all that matters.

• 10 years later...

I just tried it (wrapping around the stop tailpiece) in conjunction with lowering my pickups on my 1997 ES 355 Custom Shop - Not sure why, but I noticed a marked improvement in playability, sustain and intonation - weird I know, but I'm sticking with it. Note that I like the tailpiece screwed down all the way to the body and that made the ABR-1 to tailpiece angle quite acute which I know isn't great, but I don't like elevating the tailpiece for a number of reasons. In any case, the guitar has never played better and it's so beautiful!

I remember seeing a Joe Walsh interview -- not on this topic exactly, but that he is finicky about having the tailpiece and bridge both as low as possible down to the guitar.  He said that he feels that they flex a bit when they are not all the way down to the body.  He also said the the best examples the way he likes it is in original '59 Les Pauls, and the Gibson replicas are still not the way he wants it even though he said he  has specifically tried to work with Gibson directly to get it right "but even they could not recreate it properly".

JWalsh1980Howl.jpg

On 4/10/2010 at 3:21 PM, STAR CHILD said:

I've noticed some guy's wrap their strings over the stop tail piece!

Hey NEO what is the purpose of this? Does this give you better

sustain? What about screwing down the tail piece flat to the body,

what does this do?

Its tone chasing. Some say it sounds different. That is about it. Joe Bonamassa does it I believe and other too. Just like decking your tailstop.

Ive seen people capo a guitar at lets say the 5th fret and then tie a bandana or rag around the strings above the capo around the 3rd fret. They say it cuts out overtones.

To me between the nut or capo and saddles are all I need to be concerned about. Same as installing different bridge pins on a guitar. Its after the saddle, so does it affect sound? These things will be debated by guitarist till the end of time.

Gibson makes a wrap around bridge/tailstop and that is your only option. I think it is on less expensive models.

If it works for you - do it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper