Gibson Brands Forums

Why Wrap strings over stop tail piece on LP?

STAR CHILD

Hmmm, the research I did with this subject yielded some different findings.  I'll note that I fall into the tone chasing "tricks" and to be honest, I'll sometimes try them just to see if they're is anything to it, sometimes there is and sometimes there isn't.  String wrapping over the tail piece is the result of the build structure of the guitar.  I'll do my best to explain, but there are multiple YT videos from reputable sources that explain this way better than I can. First, it is said to get the best resonance from your guitar, the tail piece should be set all the way to the guitar so it sits right on it, to maximize the string/body vibrations ( insert tone chasing cliches here).  Now, as a result of the angle created by this coming up to the bridge (and this depends on the guitars construction), sometimes the string will touch the edge of the bridge before it hits the actual saddle.  This is not a good thing and can hinder the string from fully vibrating and ringing clearly, not to mention creating another edge that could cause string breakage.  If the guitar is poorly constructed, you can't just "adjust" this out.  Gibson has, for the most part, corrected this issue, but the older ones are what they are.  I'll say that doing this does create a "looser" feel of the strings, but tonally except for clearing the string away from the bridge, I don't hear a difference.  I'm no expert for sure and I'm not saying that my research should be taken for gospel, I'm just offering up what I've researched, tried and learned over the years.

Edited by Daxman

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Its tone chasing. Some say it sounds different. That is about it. Joe Bonamassa does it I believe and other too. Just like decking your tailstop.

Ive seen people capo a guitar at lets say the 5th fret and then tie a bandana or rag around the strings above the capo around the 3rd fret. They say it cuts out overtones.

To me between the nut or capo and saddles are all I need to be concerned about. Same as installing different bridge pins on a guitar. Its after the saddle, so does it affect sound? These things will be debated by guitarist till the end of time.

Gibson makes a wrap around bridge/tailstop and that is your only option. I think it is on less expensive models.

If it works for you - do it.

This thread is 10 years old. 

Sorry, just couldn't resist it 😛

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Its tone chasing. Some say it sounds different. That is about it. Joe Bonamassa does it I believe and other too. Just like decking your tailstop.

Ive seen people capo a guitar at lets say the 5th fret and then tie a bandana or rag around the strings above the capo around the 3rd fret. They say it cuts out overtones.

To me between the nut or capo and saddles are all I need to be concerned about. Same as installing different bridge pins on a guitar. Its after the saddle, so does it affect sound? These things will be debated by guitarist till the end of time.

Gibson makes a wrap around bridge/tailstop and that is your only option. I think it is on less expensive models.

If it works for you - do it.

You should see what this person has to say

Zappa

TO WRAP OR NOT TO WRAP
(a limerick)

To wrap or not to wrap?
This thread has stirred up quite a flap
Some say that it's the big mac-daddy mo-shizzle
Others believe it's a fad that will some day fizzle
I'm just gonna play my guitar and shut my yap

fin

😬