Gibson Brands Forums

Are the Supremes dead?

Jammer

Hi all,

I'm not a new member, but its been a long time since I visited the forum. The last time I was here it was the old style format, and everyone was wanting Gibson to update to a new format. Well, for some reason I could not login with my user and password, so I had to start a new one. A shame because I had over 100 post.

So I got the latest Musician's Friend catalog and the Supreme's are up at $3,499. I called them and the only finish available is Heritage cherry. Does anybody know if Gibson discontinued production on the Supreme's?

Welcome back Jammer.

I tend to think that the desire for the supreme is dropping, though I base that on my observations only. I think that for the money they cost people venture into the custom shops, and reissues more now.

Are the Supremes dead? Only Florence Ballard' date=' she passed in '76...oh, not those Supremes. [/quote']

Your killing me, dont quit your day job. I'm on the other side of the music spectrum, so I never made the connection.

But, if sales were decreasing, wouldn't stores be overstocked with Supreme's? and theres only 1 or 3 on ebay worth thinking about buying.

Your killing me' date=' dont quit your day job. I'm on the other side of the music spectrum, so I never made the connection.

But, if sales were decreasing, wouldn't stores be overstocked with Supreme's? and theres only 1 or 3 on ebay worth thinking about buying.

[/quote']

i dunno about that...maybe Gibson made few of them to justify the high price. but who knows?

So I got the latest Musician's Friend catalog and the Supreme's are up at $3' date='499. I called them and the only finish available is Heritage cherry. Does anybody know if Gibson discontinued production on the Supreme's?[/quote']

Jammer,

DO NOT take whatever the MFers tell you to be any indication of what's happening AT GIBSON.

They buy their guitars in huge lots, and Gibson has a certain amount of time (like a couple years) to build and ship them all.

After the contract runs its course there are no more of that particular model - AT MUSICIAN'S FRIEND.

It does not mean Gibson isn't building them, it just means MF is clearing out their inventory before they decide how many to order next time.

Do yourself a favor and shop elsewhere too.

A good dealer will beat MF/GC prices any day of the week.

Good luck on a great choice!

Jammer' date='

DO NOT take whatever the MFers tell you to be any indication of what's happening AT GIBSON.

They buy their guitars in huge lots, and Gibson has a certain amount of time (like a couple years) to build and ship them all.

After the contract runs its course there are no more of that particular model - AT MUSICIAN'S FRIEND.

It does not mean Gibson isn't building them, it just means MF is clearing out their inventory before they decide how many to order next time.

Do yourself a favor and shop elsewhere too.

A good dealer will beat MF/GC prices any day of the week.

Good luck on a great choice![/quote']

I'll second that..A little while ago, I was trying to find a Manhattan Midnight Blue Standard with the 60s neck, and was told by GC that they have been discontinued. Alas, I walk into the shop NeoConMan recommended, and sure enough there it was, brand spanking new. Pretty frustrating. Oh well, I know where I will doing my future shopping and it won't have the initials of GC/MF.

I'm sorry if I mislead anyone here, but I'm not looking to buy a Supreme. I was seriously thinking about selling mine. So I was checking out the market to come up with a $$$$ value. Musician's Friend never told me the Supreme's were discontinued, they said they didn't know. Anyhoo, I got a 2005 Desert Burst. I’ve only played it a couple times. I really don't know why I never play it other than I have Custom shop LP's that I enjoy and the fact that the Supreme is SOOO beautiful I'm afraid to bend the strings and sweat on it. But last night I plugged it in the amp to see how I liked it, because I didn't remember how it sounded. I guess last night was the first time I really seriously played the Supreme. It was amazing, it tuned up quick and was dead on everywhere. For the next 2 hours I was gone to a different dimension that was filled with inspiration and positive flow. There is more definition between and from each note than my other LP's. I don't know why but it was faster too. Finger tapping was better than I’ve ever been. I’ve been playing guitars enough that my ears have learned what good tone is and I know if a guitar feels good to me. This Supreme is better than I thought it would be. For me personally it fits me perfect. I am very happy I bought it and I now have decided not to sell it even though I need the money. Unless, somebody offered me $3000. Then I probably would (regretfully) sell it.

Thesupremesupreme.jpg

Cheap 1.8 MP camera. Looks better in real life

Are the Supremes dead? Only Florence Ballard' date=' she passed in '76...oh, not those Supremes. [/quote']

Oh Flo, where did ya go?!

Personally, I wouldn't touch a Supreme even if Cudamax was offering to buy me one...

Just give me the '58 VOS and I'll go away happy... Make mine Iced Tea finish, please.

I know why you are keeping her, most wouldn't spend the extra cash and are put off by the extra "Eye Candy", I paid well under £1,000 for mine as it was damaged/repaired. The repair was costly £250 it took 6 weeks, the luthier deliberately leaves the repair as visible as it shouldn't be hidden from a potential buyer.

Mine was new before being damaged (November 2007). I bought it from a friend who deals in them and he wanted me to have it.

This guitar is beautiful to play, when I back of the volume the tone is amazing, full up she screams on bridge pup and lets loose the most dramatic woody creamy tone on neck pup.

Few people will own this model due to price and taste, so there are few comments around. I had a once in a lifetime chance I couldn't refuse and I am delighted.

You can see the dowels in this pic;

neckbreak.jpg

But this is what I like;

closeup.jpg

frontpose.jpg

backpose.jpg

inthecase.jpg

Those Supremes have better looking Maple on the BACK than most guitars have on the front....

Rear binding is cool.

Very nice guys.

Don't be ashamed of a pretty guitar, especially if it sounds good.

PLAY IT!!!

the luthier deliberately leaves the repair as visible as it shouldn't be hidden from a potential buyer.

Few people will own this model due to price and taste

I had a once in a lifetime chance I couldn't refuse and I am delighted.

You can see the dowels in this pic;

neckbreak.jpg

backpose.jpg

Great post!

I'm glad to see a luthier had the skill to repair it and the intellectual honesty to leave the repair visible.

He could have sprayed the entire neck so it wouldn't be noticed.

I commend him on his integrity.

Those Supremes have better looking Maple on the BACK than most guitars have on the front....

Rear binding is cool.

Very nice guys.

Don't be ashamed of a pretty guitar' date=' especially if it sounds good.

[b']PLAY IT!!![/b]

I wouldn't say a pretty guitar, I'd say beautiful, classy, decked out.

How could anyone be ashamed? It's a Gibson LP. I'm proud to own it.

Pic of the front and back. I wish I could show how it sounds. The flames look like they are under 1-2 inches of water.

DBSupreme01.jpg

DBSupreme04.jpg

iownanlps,

You got a real beauty. I love the color.

Your right, some people think the Supreme’s are over priced. But it all depends on what you want. I mean the base model will work, but I always buy a car with all the options. The Supreme has all the options plus a deep flame top and back, plus chambered body which gives it a unique tone. And when you think about how much work is involved, with the gold frets, binding, inlays, AAAA maple, no access panels in back. I think the price is right on, especially since it plays so great.

Thanks for the compliment. The sound is clear and defined. She very much has the LP honk but also has a supreme tone. The playablity and sustain, etc. etc. etc. is every bit as good as a custom shop LP.

The only - and I mean ONLY thing that I don't like about the Supreme is the gold hardware.

On the other hand, your retinas are so dazzled by the Maple and beautiful colors you never see the hardware anyway.

Very beautiful guitars guys.

Don't EVER sell 'em!

The Chinese are blowing Gibson out of the water, there selling Supremes for 220.00$ ......How do you compete with that..???????? There like ants....Oh well what ya going to do ????? Nuclear Weapons, Weapons of Mass Destruction...Who knows but they are ruining everything sacred !!!

The only - and I mean ONLY thing that I don't like about the Supreme is the gold hardware.

On the other hand' date=' your retinas are so dazzled by the Maple and beautiful colors you never see the hardware anyway.

Very beautiful guitars guys.

Don't EVER sell 'em![/quote']

Supreme lovers unite!! There's more to this goddess than just looks!! She's sounds even better....my dream guitar =))

My friend said he changed his mind about gold hardware after seeing my guitar :D I sure hope they continue the Supremes! Anyone know why there's only one color this year? That blows.

PS: I wish they would take that AWESOME new Trans-blue finish that they're putting on the Longhorn (Guitar of the Month) and put them on Supremes!

2007 Gibson Les Paul Supreme in "Alpine White"

IMG_1153.jpg

IMG_1152.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

The Chinese are blowing Gibson out of the water' date=' there selling Supremes for 220.00$ ......How do you compete with that..???????? There like ants....Oh well what ya going to do ????? Nuclear Weapons, Weapons of Mass Destruction...Who knows but they are ruining everything sacred !!![/quote']

Well, I got news for you, Gibson's sub-brands are undercutting other manufacturers with their like designs too (i.e. Valley Arts). But it's nothing new under the sun. It happens in all industries for the most part. It's just that those foolish enough to buy knock-offs may save some coin, they still end up with a sub-par-item most of the time.

Well' date=' I got news for you, Gibson's sub-brands are undercutting other manufacturers with their like designs too (i.e. Valley Arts). But it's nothing new under the sun. It happens in all industries for the most part. It's just that those foolish enough to buy knock-offs may save some coin, they still end up with a sub-par-item most of the time.[/quote']

Yep thats oh so true, and the only good use for those knock offs is Firewood..!!!

Archived