Gibson Brands Forums

Should I return my SG?

ironlung40

Rui Barata wrote:
I live in Portugal. I bought it in a Gibson dealer.

Our law establishes that everything must have, at least, a warranty of two years.

Not sure I would like such a Big Government approach to the matter....

The two years mandatory is not only in Portugal...it's an EU law so all countries in the EU must follow it.

EU, that explains a lot.

Really Big Government.

You can have all that you want, no thanks.

USA is sliding that way fast enough - Constitution be damned....

IL40, sounds like they got ya fixed up.

Glad to hear it!

Keep us posted.

EU' date=' that explains a lot.

[i']Really[/i] Big Government.

You can have all that you want, no thanks.

USA is sliding that way fast enough - Constitution be damned....

IL40, sounds like they got ya fixed up.

Glad to hear it!

Keep us posted.

Nice of you to take care of the guy. I don't know what a luthier makes, but it can't be much. It's think it's more of a "I love the job" kind of job than a real money-maker.

VERY nice Orange half stack, BTW.

thanks for the comments. I'll keep you posted, IF, any more issues arise. Next, is getting new pups for the faded.

Update. I returned the faded SG. After I played it awhile, I still was not happy with the action. It was almost as if it changed from the setup. I just could not get the action low enough at the 12th without the buzz at the 1st. I believe the neck was just not in the best shape. I was going to change to a new nut myself, when I noticed where the fretboard meets the neck near the headstock, looked weird. I loosened the strings, and to my chagrin, noticed that the fretboard was loose from the nut to about the 3rd fret. You could press on it and close the seam, but without string pressure, it was pulling away from the neck slightly. After tipping the luthier a setup fee, and buying a new nut, I decided it was enough. I am not going to have a money pit in this guitar, so I returned it. I think I just got a lemon. I, in no way, feel like faded's are crap. In fact, I will be buying another one. I am just going to play several until I find the "one". At least I know what to look out for.

I would recommend to any who look to purchase one, to loosen the strings and check that the fretboard is secure.

Loose Fretboard Syndrome.

Hmmmm.....

:-k

Ya know,

Many people have speculated that the lower-end Gibsons may not get attention to detail that they need.

Of course, Gibson will deny this.

And we've seen that they can screw up high-end guitars too....

[blink]

Loose Fretboard Syndrome.

Hmmmm.....

[cool]

Ya know' date='

Many people have speculated that the lower-end Gibsons may not get attention to detail that they need.

Of course, Gibson will deny this.

And we've seen that they can screw up high-end guitars too....

[confused

My 61 reissue is just about perfect......knock on wood.....The only thing I've seen with it, is a slight imperfection on the finish below the tailpiece, but I'm not sure it was like that new. It may have aged or developed character in that spot.

The binding is the best I've seen out of the dozen or so that I've played....and it has a really low action with 0 buzz.

Whoever finished mine, was sharp on that day.

I didn't expect the faded to feel as good as the RI, but I didn't expect it to be too far from the tree though. I basically wanted a guitar that would be really close to my RI in terms of playability, but one that I wouldn't feel like I had to baby as much. This experience has made me a bit weary about purchasing another one, but I will anyway, as I really love the look and feel of a good one. I'll just have to really examine the next one I bring home. I think an experienced player is needed for examining these for extra piece of mind. A newbie may miss something.

It is possible that this faded was good to go from the shop, but after shipment and possible handling at the store, etc, it got knocked around a bit....leading to the problem with the fretboard. It did have a small chunk on the end of the headstock. This is no excuse, though. These guitars are supposed to be a working musician's quality tool. These are not your entry level guitars, but rather in the mid range. They should be ready to withstand plenty of gigging abuse without user modification. It is not an epi for pete's sake.

Got a new faded today! This one plays like I expected a new SG to play. Luckily it has a great setup, already, so no more money spent there. The neck feels a little rounder than my first one, and the headstock appears to be a little thicker at the neck. Also, the fretboard is great, and is smooth and level all the way down, unlike the last one. This one just seems to be of better quality through and through.

Some interesting points.....this guitar is new, but a 2004 model.......I guess it was new old stock, but you can confirm by looking at it that it has never been played. The plastic is still over the pickguard, too.

The only negative I can find, is that the dot over the i, touches the G in the gibson logo, but apparently that is an expected random occurrence with the silk screening process. This bothered me a bit until I read the thread on it in here, so thanks guys. Bottom line, the guitar plays and looks great.

Here are some pics:

serial number

can someone tell me if it was made in nashville or memphis?

headstock

note the dot against the G

body

Appears to be a one piece, I'm still searching for the seam

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4030/4546890454_2110b079e7_m.jpg

Kinda new here' date=' also, and I got my Faded Special a few months ago, too, and although I do love the guitar, it simply will not stay in tune. I am thinking nut problems here, also, as I have tried new strings, graphite on the nut, then Big Bend's Nut Sauce. No improvement.

Guess I'm just going to have to take it in to get the nut re-cut or a new nut... Shouldn't have to do this with a brand new $600 Gibson guitar IMO, but I do love everything else about the guitar...

[/quote']

It might be the nut, but I found that, with my SG Special Faded, 90% of the tuning problems went away when I ditched the green key tuners and installed Grovers. I have never understood why Gibson continues to put the green key tuners on their guitars - even some of their pricy ones - when the damn things don't work well and never did. However, YMMV.

Telechamp. I'm new to this forum and just posted my first topic asking if my gibson was a counterfeit. I came across the picture you posted of yours and it looks exactly the same. I'm curious, on the logo on the headstock, is the dot on the 'i' crooked? Does it touch the G? It looks like it does in the close up picture you have as your avatar.

Kinda new here' date=' also, and I got my Faded Special a few months ago, too, and although I do love the guitar, it simply will not stay in tune. I am thinking nut problems here, also, as I have tried new strings, graphite on the nut, then Big Bend's Nut Sauce. No improvement.

Guess I'm just going to have to take it in to get the nut re-cut or a new nut... Shouldn't have to do this with a brand new $600 Gibson guitar IMO, but I do love everything else about the guitar...

[img']http://i718.photobucket.com/albums/ww183/telechamp/SG_IMG_0813PB.jpg[/img]

Archived