Gibson Brands Forums

Tony Iommi pickups

Swinzey

hey all I considering the Tony Iommi sig pup in my bridge position on my SG. Has anyone played thru one of these pups yet? I am a huge sabbath fan and mostly play tuned a full step down all the time anyway. I need to get that hard hitting deep distortion sound of the 70's Sabbath. Any help is appreciated.

The thing is... Iommi didn't use these pickups in the 70s. He used these weird custom pickups. I forgot who makes them but a company makes replicas that supposadely sound great for Sabbath. Some total Iommi fan will come on here and hook you up with some info.

You should also look into what amp and pedals he was using.

What amp/pedals/guitar are you using?

Right now im using a fender frontman 25r to play at home with a tubescreamer od and a jim dunlop wah wah. i also have a fender hotrod deville 2x12 that i am not very pleased with due to its poor gain even on the hot hot channel so im trying to sell it and put the cash down on the Tony sig Laney rig. I just a recreational player but a serious one. I have a feeling the Iommi rig is goin to be a long term layaway item lol I am playing a 2003 faded SG that just rules and a 89 eppy lp standard and also a 2000 Ibanez elec accoustic. Can anyone reccomend and affordable metal amp?

Hmm.. A good fuzz pedal may do the trick. My Big Muff cranks out that thick saturated Iommi tone. Especially with my SG. You should try some fuzz pedal out. My version of the Big Muff isn't ideal for Sabbath tone but I don't care because that's not what I'm after.

thats what i was thinkin its just im sure its going t to set me back quite a bit of cash. Oh well you only live once! lol and i need that crunch.time to search for a distributerc cuz musicians friend dosent carry them.

may take what very well? the Iommi pup? Like i said the hot rods distortion just falls short in my opinion my 25r has better believe it or not. I can get the Tony rig for about 2000 dollars but your right ill def try it first for that much cash.

No. I'm saying if you choose to get a pedal you should try it out. And if you got a pedal it might sound totally awesome through the Hot Rod.

If you can come up with the money for the Laney that would be your best bet. From what I hear those are great amps. The amp will almost certainly give you the tone you're after. Good luck.

I'm a big pedal fan....the Iommi pickups are cool, but you can only use them in one guitar!! You can run all your guitars through a good pedal. With that being said, I have a Mentatone None More Black that is just awesome! Definitely gives you that high-gain sound, perfect for metal. I use mine all the time, to the point that my overdrive pedal usually just sits there. Test driving a None More Black is tough, though, it's hard to find a brick 'n mortar dealer. I just took a leap of faith with mine.

The thing is... Iommi didn't use these pickups in the 70s. Some total Iommi fan will come on here and hook you up with some info.

And here I am[biggrin]........ To the best of my knowledge' date=' Tony's pickups were a custom-wound John Birch mini-humbucker in the bridge position, and a chrome cased P-90 in the neck. The Gibson Iommi pickup is supposed to replicate the sound of the Birch pickup, I think. If you get the right pedal, however, you can get in the ballpark with a stock SG. Remember, though only Tony Iommi sounds JUST LIKE Tony Iommi, get it in the neighborhood and put your own spin on it[cool']

Thanx for the info. And if that girl in the pic is smokin! (this was edited due to being stoned and stupid) Anyhow i thought abouot the Boss metal zone stomp box but my best bet is prob the iommi rig and no stomp boxes. I just need that sound as close and as accurate (and cheaply) as possible. Even my own music is easily identifyable as bein Sabb influenced. Fuk it if I can get 700$for my hot rod ill be estatic cuz the iommi rig is 2000. Also I might add Im 36 now and have been playing on and off since i was 16 so i understand He is who He is I just love the groove and am a stickler for detail so I honor them by playing it as close as possible. I have my own licks and style but I digest and never the less very Tony influenced. In 20 yrs you have your own style. Mine is a Jimi and Tony hybrid.

LOL that pic is very misleading!

I wasn't misleading you' date=' I like good lookin' women, so sue me[biggrin'] There's plenty of guys on here with hot girls in their avatars and sigs. Also if I saw a women that looked like me, I'd run far, far away, considering i'm '6 6, weigh 250, and have a 5 o'clock shadow[lol] [lol]

• 10 years later...

i have the gibson iommi pickups in a 2017 sg special. It is an absolute tone beast. Ive had all the pedals trying to get that sabbath sound and ive pissed em all off. Nothing beats these pickups. No level of distortion can kill them. And i cant see them for sale on gibson website anymore. If you can find em grab em

On 4/12/2010 at 7:19 AM, Swinzey said:

hey all I considering the Tony Iommi sig pup in my bridge position on my SG. Has anyone played thru one of these pups yet? I am a huge sabbath fan and mostly play tuned a full step down all the time anyway. I need to get that hard hitting deep distortion sound of the 70's Sabbath. Any help is appreciated.

I put one in an SG I had. I didn't like it. Ripped it out and sold the pup.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2020 at 12:06 AM, tommyl said:

i have the gibson iommi pickups in a 2017 sg special. It is an absolute tone beast. Ive had all the pedals trying to get that sabbath sound and ive pissed em all off. Nothing beats these pickups. No level of distortion can kill them. And i cant see them for sale on gibson website anymore. If you can find em grab em

Tony Iommi uses a custom type of a P90 style pickup like tin his signature model below..

right-front-banner-1600_900.png

Edited by mihcmac