Gibson Brands Forums

can't find serial number??

mickthestick

Every Gibson solid body guitar had a serial number on the back of the headstock since mid 1953 and later. In order for it to be a true Gibson Les Paul, without a serial number on the headstock, it would have had to been made in 1952 or early 1953. That would be quite a prize!

I have taken my les paul dark red electric guitat looking for a serial number on the neck as well as opening all rear compartments' date=' but no luck. my axe is definietly a older model. help...........

the Stick[/quote']The King is Dead But He's not Forgotten...

ok, i am putting it out there. my LP is like between red and maroon sunburst somewhere color.. its knobs are solid chrome as well as all its deck components (i put a magnet to them) the knobs have no numbers but this magical textured grip like i never seen on anything like it, almost like reptile skin w/ zero slipping on knob. it has 4 floating pickups that can be adjusted up or down. it has the large square fret inlays. the gibson loga at the top is old and tarnished and their is some miniscule chipping of finish that shows the brillance pearl of the logo underneath.

the truss rod bell cover has 2 screws. the truss nut has a weird shape almost looks like a tinker bell shape as well.

The biggest thing which i am nervous to type is that the body is not solid but 2 pieces attached together. i hope that is why there is no serial number and i have something well, you know what I mean.

by the way the neck is so free and easy that i feel guilty playing my axe, that it pretty much plays itself. i am able to do things on this guitar that i can't do on any axe even some of the brand new LP models at shows that i have played. I bought the guitar from owner in kentucky who took real good care of axe. I paid 4 figures 12 years ago.

do i have a special axe or did i buy a fake?? if it is a fake, it is the best fake in the world or was made boot leg by a guitar maker who works at the Gibson Factory. In dire straits of advice.

The Stick

ok' date=' i am putting it out there. my LP is like between red and maroon sunburst somewhere color.. its knobs are solid chrome as well as all its deck components (i put a magnet to them) the knobs have no numbers but this magical textured grip like i never seen on anything like it, almost like reptile skin w/ zero slipping on knob. it has 4 floating pickups that can be adjusted up or down. it has the large square fret inlays. the gibson loga at the top is old and tarnished and their is some miniscule chipping of finish that shows the brillance pearl of the logo underneath.

the truss rod bell cover has 2 screws. the truss nut has a weird shape almost looks like a tinker bell shape as well.

The biggest thing which i am nervous to type is that the body is not solid but 2 pieces attached together. i hope that is why there is no serial number and i have something well, you know what I mean.

by the way the neck is so free and easy that i feel guilty playing my axe, that it pretty much plays itself. i am able to do things on this guitar that i can't do on any axe even some of the brand new LP models at shows that i have played. I bought the guitar from owner in kentucky who took real good care of axe. I paid 4 figures 12 years ago.

do i have a special axe or did i buy a fake?? if it is a fake, it is the best fake in the world or was made boot leg by a guitar maker who works at the Gibson Factory. In dire straits of advice.

The Stick[/quote']Can't always get what you want..

I think it would be a mistake to assume all fakes are junk.

Some of the Japanese lawsuit guitars from years ago were very well done.

It could be a fake but fine guitar.

It could be a factory anomoly of some sort, like my 12 string SG, but I kinda doubt it.

I dunno.

Take the best detailed digital pics you can of the guitar.

Get the headstock from every angle with the TRC removed.

Get the neck/body joint the same way.

Open the control cavity and remove the pickups, get clear shots of what's inside.

Call Gibson and Gruhn and see if they will offer an assessment or appraisal after you email pics to them.

Gruhn charges for a written one, but they will tell you if it's a fake for free.

You might have someting odd/rare/collectible or just evidence of underground capitalist greed striking again.

• Haha 1

Gibson Serial Numbers and Factory Order Numbers (How to Find the Year).

The easiest way to find the year of a particular Gibson instrument is usually by referencing the instrument's serial number of factory order number.

This following information applies to all Gibson instruments including guitars, mandolins, lapsteels, basses and others. This information was compiled from these sources: A.R. Duchossior, W. Carter, G. Gruhn, E. Whitford, D. Vinopal, D. Erlewine.

From 1902 to 1976, Gibson instruments may have a serial number, a FON (Factory Order Number or code letter), both, or neither. To make things even more interesting, they sometimes wrote the serial number or factory order number with a near-invisible pencil, sometimes ink-stamped it (in disappearing ink it seems), and sometimes pressed it into the wood. And the placement of these serial numbers and FON's (factory order numbers) can be different, depending on the era. Gibson serial number consistency was never given much thought, as Gibson changed serial number system many times. Hence, some serial numbers may be duplicated in different years. This is especially noticable during the 1960's.

Many people ask, "How can I tell the difference between a serial number and a factory order number?". Sometimes this is difficult, but you have to look at the format of the number, and the general era of the instrument. Does it have a pre-WW2 script "Gibson" logo? If so, then just look at the pre-WW2 serial number and factory order number info. This would be the single biggest question to ask, as pre-WW2 and post-WW2 instruments are numbered quite differently. Also, examine the placement and style of the numbers and make sure it follows the schemes described.

Another question asked is, "The FON number says the instrument is 1958, yet the serial number says 1959; why are they different?". There is a very logical reason for this. The FON number is stamped on the instrument very early in the manufacturing process. Most times, the serial number is applied as one of the last steps (especially on pre-1961 hollow body instruments) when the instrument is nearly finished. Depending on the demand for the instrument, it could take Gibson up to 6 months to finish the instrument. Hence the FON number could be one year, and the serial number the next year.

It wasn't till 1977 that Gibson came up with a good serial number system that will last them indefinately. This new serial number system allows determination of the exact date the instrument was stamped with the serial number, and the factory of manufacturer.

A very useful website:

Cut and paste ALL the link: http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#col

Regards

flight959

A.R. Duchossior' date=' W. Carter, G. Gruhn, E. Whitford, D. Vinopal, D. Erlewine.

I've had personal dealings with Walter Carter. That guy knows his sh!t.

He was at Gibson for a million years before Gruhn hired him.

Great guitar resource, especially for Gibsons.

Another question asked is' date=' "The FON number says the instrument is 1958, yet the serial number says 1959; why are they different?".

FON number could be one year, and the serial number the next year.[/quote']

This is VERY common, and it freaks people out. I have a couple Fenders like this.

My Tele was built in March 2005 and given a 2004 serial number because the neck was already produced.

It wasn't till 1977 that Gibson came up with a good serial number system that will last them indefinately. This new serial number system allows determination of the exact date the instrument was stamped with the serial number' date=' and the factory of manufacturer.

[/quote']

Good job, at least for regular production guitars.

Anything Custom Shop or limited production might have an ink stamped oddball number still yet.

I think Gibson does it on purpose to preserve the "mystique" of the vintage guitar.

Can't give away ALL the secrets...

Right now, I have 8 Gibsons in my guitar room.

Only two of them have regular, legible serial numbers that correspond with Gibson protocol. The other six are all screwy.

My Melody Maker is missing the first digit, it was stamped too light to be seen. Gibson helped me figure THAT out.

My 335 is stamped so lightly, that the entire number is all but invisible. Really. I have to take it outside to read it in the sun.

• Haha 1

Try this..........

Get a photobucket account and download your pictures to it, then post the link here to an image.

Or

Follow the instructions GuitarJunkie provided toward the top of this thread.

Though the fact that you do not have a serial number on the headstock is a reasonably good indication of its validity. As I stated earlier all Gibson solid body guitars had a serial number displayed here from mid 1953 and on. From 1953 to 1960 it was ink stamped. From 1961 to 1969 it consisted of an impression stamp without the "Made in the USA", and from 1970 to present with both the serial number and "Made in the USA". If you had a very valuble Les Paul made in 1952, or early 1953 without a serial number you would know it without coming to this forum for help. I would venture a guess that you have an imitation, though it may be a very nice guitar, but an imitation just the same. If you can post pictures I know I would be happy to help you further, as would many other forum members.

I have seen quite a few Gibbys that the finish on the headstock is really thick and very hard to see the serial #, but its there hiding...but if you can see it....now theres a different axe to grind...

I have taken pixs of the Axe. How do I get them on the forum so they can be viewed.

In case you missed the post earlier' date=' here it is again...

As stated, without photos there's pretty much nothing we can do to help. Go to this thread...

http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=3054&p=2

I believe the second post down will tell you how to post photos.

• 6 months later...
  • 11 years later...