Gibson Brands Forums

Birth year guitars

ksdaddy

Anyone have a 'birth year' guitar in their arsenal, past or present?

In 1985 I bought a mint 1960 ES-125TDC from Gruhns for $350. Swapped it for a '62 Gretsch Tennesseean a couple months later.

In 1988 I bought a beat 1960 J-45 for $170. Sold it a year later on consignment.

There may have been other ones, undocumented or unidentified, but those two I remember.

Anyone have a 'birth year' guitar in their arsenal' date=' past or present?

In 1985 I bought a mint 1960 ES-125TDC from Gruhns for $350. Swapped it for a '62 Gretsch Tennesseean a couple months later.

In 1988 I bought a beat 1960 J-45 for $170. Sold it a year later on consignment.

There may have been other ones, undocumented or unidentified, but those two I remember.

[/quote']

Always wanted one, I only found two that I liked:

1992 ES-335, mint condition. I saw a posting on eBay, it was (supposedly, but I have no reason to doubt it) bought by this woman's son, who left home shortly afterwards. Never had an interest in guitar, but it was brand new! Plastic still on, hangtag was still on case, it was mint. I asked for more photos, and I had no reason to doubt the thing was never played. The only thing that held me up was the price...6,000. I couldn't do that ;)

Another was a 1992 Strat which was build in April, my birth month, white with a maple fretboard, saw it at my Guitar Center. Stopped in, played it, it sounded pretty good, asking price was 600, but had been there for a couple of months, so they will negotiate a little on price. I was going to head back with my parents the next week, but it sold.

Still looking for one, not sure what, but I do want one. Kind of cool to have

Yes, by accident.

Back in the early 70's I bought my first "real" guitar. All I could afford was a used one, and found an old used Stratocaster hanging on the trade-in rack at a local music store. I gathered up all my grass cutting and skate sharpening money, and still had to borrow from my sister and a friend. I walked in and plunked down the $195, and walked out with Strat. There was no real "vintage" market at the time, and all I knew was that I had a REAL Fender Strat.

A few years later the whole vintage guitar boom happened and I started wondering exactly what I had purchased for my $195..... A 1960 Stratocaster.

2886902854_632a1c8ac7_o.jpg

Sometimes you just get lucky.

Gibson

I found one' date=' with a tag of 7,500 on it ;']

Hey Zombiebear thanks for the effort but I wouldn't pay $7500 for a Les Paul Junior. As nice as that one is, and it is in great shape for a 54 year old guitar, I'd rather find a not so perfect 1955 ES 175... Now that would be sweet...:)

Archived