Gibson Brands Forums

PLS Help Identify beat up old SG

VoodooForce

Hi. I bought this SG from a reputable Sydney (Oz) dealer probably 10 years ago or more. The serial number has been removed. I was informed at time of sale that it was probably stolen at some time, they had receipts from the previous owner who had receipts and I have their receipts.

I am having a hard time identifying the model and year of manufacture.

Here are some pictures:

sgjpghd6.th.jpg

sgheadfrontjn9.th.jpg

sgheadbackgt9.th.jpg

The closet picture I can find is this:

http://www.everythingsg.com/catalogs/1976_sg_special.jpg

Identifying Features:

The scratch plate has 4 screws only. Most of this style seem to have 5 so I am hoping this will help.

The Fret board inlays are rectangular not trapezoidal.

Its been painted black - I think it was Yellow? I need to get some fret board lube and then I will clean it up as best I can and re-string it.

The knobs are clear plastic with white or cream markings.

Its beat up but sounds awesome and is still straight as. I am only getting into electric guitar as I am an acoustic player mainly. My friend has a Les Paul Custom (I think) from 1970 and this sounds and plays comparably IMHO. The reason for the query is I have been playing it lately and think I would like to get it restored or "beautified".

I think it is a SG Special... but would like to know a little more - if it's a reissue, year or anything like that.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have given myself a head ache squinting over SG shots on this forum and others although that's not necessarily a bad thing ;^)

Cheers Cameron.

edit: fixed images

Ahh thanks for the White tip. Looking at some scratches near the join between neck and body the yellow colour maybe just some sort of primer over the white as there is a definite glossy looking white bit underneath.

Out of interest does the original colour extend beneath the back electronics covers? I am going to pop them off when I give it a bit of a wipe down this week.

Out of interest does the original colour extend beneath the back electronics covers? I am going to pop them off when I give it a bit of a wipe down this week.

It should do but I would imagine whoever sprayed it black did the control cavity too.

Archived