Gibson Brands Forums

50th Anniversary Murphy-Aged Les Paul

besttone

Is there anybody out there that understands what makes this guitar unique (other than the 50th anniversary logo on the pick guard) to justify a $7K retail price tag? Also, is Murphy really doing these by himself one at a time, or does he have a team of understudies doing the work according to his process?

I have no clue of how Gibson can justify the price of this guitar .

A little extra paper and two, count em "two" pickguards . What a crock ...

I've stated before and I'll do it again , Gibson is pricing themselves out of the players market and pandering to the couch players with disposable income , I've supported Gibson since the late seventys, and am seriously looking into other brands for future use ,

Don't get me wrong I love the instrument and the heritage of Gibson , but the prices are completly absurd .

Okay rant over , now back to the dungeon for me ...

So, are you saying that there is no special attention or choice woods used in the 50th Anniversary model to explain the $7K price tag? And what of the Murphy aging? Is there anything in that process to justify the premium price?

So' date=' are you saying that there is no special attention or choice woods used in the 50th Anniversary model to explain the $7K price tag? And what of the Murphy aging? Is there anything in that process to justify the premium price? [/quote']

Rest assured that premium wood is used in that guitar. The "Murphy aging" is what Gibson uses to dial back the calendar to the "days of yore", and it's reputed to be quite authentic.

While I'm sure those guitars are primo players, they're aimed directly at the cork sniffing and collecting demographic, and that bunch has the money to support the price. They're not aimed at players.

Most of those guitars will end up in a vault or on a wall.

I have no clue of how Gibson can justify the price of this guitar .

A little extra paper and two' date=' count em "two" pickguards . What a crock ...

I've stated before and I'll do it again , Gibson is pricing themselves out of the players market and pandering to the couch players with disposable income , I've supported Gibson since the late seventys, and am seriously looking into other brands for future use ,

Don't get me wrong I love the instrument and the heritage of Gibson , but the prices are completly absurd .

Okay rant over , now back to the dungeon for me ...[/quote']

I'd rather put the dough into a vintage something, anything.....

The problem with a vintage LP is that a '58 thru '60 will require selling your house, while an aged reissue will get you close to the look and sound at a fraction of the cost. Who wouldn't want to own the real thing? I'm still curious as to Murphy's degree of involvement in Gibsons that bear his namesake. With quantities of 200 for the 50th Anniversary Murphy-Aged 1958 LP alone, how much could he really being doing himself without productionizing the process?

Archived