Gibson Brands Forums

Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II VS. 490R 498T

atreyu260

i kinda want to put alnico II seymour duncans into my les paul (they are the ones slash use) but i already like the ones that are in there does ne one know if the alnico II's are really worth it or is just part of the GHIII slash craze i liked slash waaaaaaaaaaaay before GH ever came out an ive been a really big fan of his tone...

i like a lot of slash van halen randy rhodes led zepplin aerosmith etc... so does ne one know about this pups? will they give me better tone than the 490R and 498T that r in there now?

honestly i cant stand the way the SDs sound, i am a huge fan of jimmy, slash, joe perry, so i know what you are trying to do, but the sound of alnico 2 magnets is too soft and muddy, really the best Pups for that 70s sound is a PAIR (count em 2!) 57 classic +

they are alnico 2 magnets, but hotter and sound very nce clean or distorted

on my demos, i used the pair of 57+ and you can listen for your self and see how you like it.

since then i have upgraded to a dimarzio norton in the bridge, and it gives good rock tone, harmonics, and when you roll down the tone, sounds good clean too

I put a SD Pro II in a BC Rich Warlock with a SD Jazz in the neck. The SD II was not my favorite and I would probably never buy another, the Jazz was pretty good though. Slash uses them, but did you ever see his rig? It is very powerful and complicated and I doubt if you can reproduce what he has.

That heavy rock/proto metal sound lives and breathes in Antiquities. I swear. I have a pair in my Explorer and they sound fan****ingtastic. I believe they have AlnicoII magnets. Medium out-put, undipped. Slightly slightly microphonic, but not so much that the guitar will squeal uncontrollably at high volume. I can go on and on. I LOVE them. They sound like rock n'roll.

• 4 weeks later...
i dont know about the 57 im kinda wary of putting in gibsons cause i dont really like their sound compared to duncans ](*' date=') i guess ill just have to try and hope it works for me hehe...:-s [/quote']

You said in your first post you like the ones that are in there (490R/498T), yet here you say you don't like the sound of Gibson's.

Slash has an amp with a schematic like a Valvestate in that there is lots of solid state diode clipping going on. Besides that he probably has racks worth of gear mutating the original guitar tone before it even gets to the amp. Basically you are in NO danger of getting a sound like his if you use AlNiCo II Pro's.

If you do change them to A2P then you will achieve less bass response in the neck, less mids and highs and a reduced output in the bridge. I have used 490R/498T, '57/'57+, Burstbucker #1,#2, Wolftone PAF's, Jazz/JB, APH1/SH-11 and I am changing back to the 490R/498T because they are the best of all of them.

Think about what you are saying, you like the pickups you have in it now. So keep 'em they are great. Why spend money and time changing to one after another....and another.... when you like what you've got. Trust you ears not what others say.

The 490 and 498 in my custom shop are on their way OUT. The really suck. I am considering the Pearly Gates or the 57s as mentioned above. I'm changing the pots and volume and caps as well.

Im glad Im not the only one who find these pickups a bit too hot and harsh. The burstbuckers in my R7 to ME sound much better. Anyone else on this?

Im glad Im not the only one who find these pickups a bit too hot and harsh. The burstbuckers in my R7 to ME sound much better. Anyone else on this?

For a more pure vintage sound I think maybe the BBs are a little better than 490R/498T, but I like having the option of kicking it up a little more if I want some really high gain. Plus, I've found that I can still get a good jazz/blues tone with my Studio(490R/498T) if I just bring the volume down a little.

I have a 498T, the only guitar it sounded good to me in was a 335= sucked in every other guitar I tried it in, but I sold the 335, took the 498 out of it, put an Alnico 2 mag in it, and presto- you have almost the same pickup as a Duncan custom custom. Sounds great in a single pickup guitar, but doesn't play well with another pickup

As a side note, this is a bit off -topic, but I have found that the 496R makes a great bridge pickup!

Low DC resistance, small ceramic mag, but sounds great to my ears as a bridge pup.

The 498T is nice, I put a 500T into an SG copy and liked it, but it sounded a bit muddy to me, swapped it out for a 57 Classic Plus and got a lot closer to the Jimmy Page sound I like, put a 56 C+ into another axe and was amazed how much better it sounded... It's hard to compare a guitar + amp (any guitar and any amp) to a processed studio sound laid down in a studio. best of luck

Hmm, I guess I'm the only one that prefers the SD'2's. I picked up a Slash Standard for an investment, I tested it out and now I can't seem to let go of it. I prefer the sound way better than the 490's--

I think they sound better than my BurstBucker's too. I really was not expecting the SD's to be that full and warm.

Maybe it is something peculiar to this particular guitar. I don't get it, but I'm a very happy camper.

Archived