Gibson Brands Forums

Picks

Gibson CS

I've used these for like' date=' 25 yrs. I buy 'em by the gross, since no one carries them, but I use the .60 orange

I even have some from 25 yrs ago! I use all 3 edges, depending on what I'm playing.

One thing- you never have to worry about people borrowing/stealing my picks

[img']http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/marvar/1153434080_TORTEX_FINS_414_250X185.jpg[/img]

Yep, Thats what I use. I also just bought a Wege (Spelling?) cool cheap thingy that

goes between your string above the nut and holds your pic.

I' date='too, like Gibson tri-picks. We've probably bid agaisnt each other on eBay. [/quote']

Oh so your the one huh? I just but some last month and with shipping I think I paid about 2 bucks each for a plastic pick!!!

oh well there the best

Don't you know there's probably a warehouse full of them somewhere that some big music company bought in bulk and hasn't even opened yet? well If I ever find a case I'll hook you up=p~

See thats how gossip starts and pretty soon it's like a coricidin bottle you pay 160 bucks for now and when I was a kid I used them to collect bugs.

More seriously though - Have you tried the Stash tri-pick it's about as close as I've found.

Oh so your the one huh? I just but some last month and with shipping I think I paid about 2 bucks each for a plastic pick!!!

oh well there the best

Don't you know there's probably a warehouse full of them somewhere that some big music company bought in bulk and hasn't even opened yet? well If I ever find a case I'll hook you up=p~

See thats how gossip starts and pretty soon it's like a coricidin bottle you pay 160 bucks for now and when I was a kid I used them to collect bugs.

More seriously though - Have you tried the Stash tri-pick it's about as close as I've found.

Isn't is insane! I always watch for listings from old music store closings thinking I might find a box of them!

I haven't tried the Stash pics, I'll have check them out.

Great topic! I prefer nylon pick and I almost always use heavy. There's these ones I use called Rhino or I think they're Dunlop blue nylon picks.

It's strange, when I was a teen in the 80's I was a total metal head and wanted to play like Randy Rhodes, EVH ect. I used thin picks and was getting pretty good at speed picking and fast scales. I even learned some Al DiMeola stuff. However, sometime in the late 80's early 90's I got a Strat and got totally into the SRV style. I started using heavy picks and thicker strings and was more into blues muscle playing and left the 64th note alternate picking behind. I've tried to get back into that style more lately, but my right hand can not get used to thin picks again and it's hard for me to play fast scales with the thick picks. I guess I'll never be a total shredder. ^_^

Dunlop Jazz IIIs (the larger red ones), Tortex heavies (1mm plus - the green & purple ones), and I've recently been enjoying heavier celluloids. Used to use medium Gibsons, Fenders, Sharkfins & Dunlops but I just chewed them up too quickly. Once I got used to the feel of the heavy picks (almost hated them to start) I fell for the projection & tone I can get from them, where lighter gauges just seem to slip over the strings.

What is the benefit / sound differences you'd get from the bumpy edge? Seems kinda gimmicky...

Not gimmicky at all, I use that edge about 80% of the time, both for leads and rhythm. It gives a nice, raspy, in your face kinda tone to the string. More bite if you will. Plus, there is more pick to string contact, giving a meatier sound.

Billy Gibbons and Brian May both use coins as picks, supposedly because of the edge of the coin gives that same raspy sound.

Archived