Gibson Brands Forums

Where do you rate your guitar skills???

duane v

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can play decently. Being in front of people doesn't really bug me... unless I'm singing [blink]

Singing makes me really nervous and messed up. Guitar skills are decent, I can hang in there with people, more of a rhythm guy though, its what I do. I can rip out a solo every now and then, its all good.

I just do it for fun [cool]

isnt the definition of professional' date=' being paid for your services?

[blink

In a sense, yes, but then just about everyone here could be called a Pro. It's more of an ability Question. Can you read charts and play whatever style is being recorded in the studio today? Can you teach an Advanced Guitar Class?

Advanced/Intermediate Hack, I guess? I play much better now, than I did years ago, when I was playing all the time.

Technique, "taste," etc....but then, a lot of music has changed, so much, from when I was playing, in the '60's...

that I feel like I'm Way Behind now, too. Taking a 30 year hiatus, didn't help, either. ;>b But...the main thing is,

that it's still a total "hoot," and just "makes my day," to get to play again. Plus, I just love guitars, anyway! ;>)

CB

sounds to me like a pro guitarist is the kinda guy who was a music major and graduated from guilliard or something.....

I can read chord charts and play all the mumbo jumbo on the spot, but I think that is just being a good guitar player, what is the difference between a good guitar player and a professional guitar player then?

sounds to me like a pro guitarist is the kinda guy who was a music major and graduated from guilliard or something.....

I can read chord charts and play all the mumbo jumbo on the spot' date=' but I think that is just being a good guitar player, what is the difference between a good guitar player and a professional guitar player then?[/quote']

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I was always a real good rhythm guy but that seems to be a lost art today.

The last 10 years I've really worked on my lead playing and now feel I can hang or maybe hang on with anybody.

I've played in blues bands, rock bands, dance bands and even done some work with country and jazz outfits.

I don't think that makes me any better than anyone but being adaptable always kept me playing.

I said advanced hack only because I'm better now than when I was playing semi-pro.

I once heard a quote from some guitar player who's name escapes me at the moment but he said

"The only difference between a pro musician and an amateur is the professional knows how to cover his mistakes."

Archived