Gibson Brands Forums

Favorite Amps?

Gibson4life

I had to vote Mesa because of the Blue Angel.......

<<<<<<-----------------

But I'm also a HUGE fan of the Fender Prosonic (Bruce Zinkey design) and the Deluxe Reverb (re-issue is okay), and really the Super Reverb as well.

I worked with a guy that gigged a Carvin Bel Air on the opposite side of the stage for many years and they are a very good, under-rated amp.

Gigged a JCM900 1/2 stack for many years, very durable rig.

Ain't it sweet to have choices?

I voted Fender for this sole reason: They have the most amps that I like. Not saying that they are my favorite, but they make the most amps I like. I love the Vox Night Train and AC4. The Orange Dual Terror rocks, so does the Rocker 30. Mesa Express and Transatlantic sound great. Marshall Class 5 is amazing. You can't have enough, it just depends on the sound

I'm a fan of Apostle Tone Amps. He makes a little class A amp that has a great blues crunch. Not a whole lot of clean head room though on that amp. I hear they are developing one that does have the clean head room sort of based off of a Dumble amp.

Well... Likely my biggest error in guitar dealings was turning in my Deluxe Reverb in a swap plus boot for my big tube amp, nice as it is (and heavy as it is.) In retrospect, the DR was about the most versatile little amp with some really nice sound and plenty loud for about anything I'm likely to play then or now.

Here again, though, I'm looking at more factors than just "how do it sound."

=== It's loud enough for anything I'm likely to do - or heck, let it be miked if I ever play for 10,000 folks.

=== It's relatively light

=== The concept of two "real" channels in this case means you can actually run a mike and guitar simultaneously with separate eq and volume in a small saloon or a coffeehouse environment if you want or need to for a solo gig.

I think, again in retrospect, you're better off with a relatively small amp that sounds decent, is sufficiently durable and fits what you're doing for money in most situations; if you're gonna need more noise, put the cash into some sort of PA.

For what it's worth, my current "work" amp is a little 30-watt Kustom acoustic jobbie that's now on a suitcase carrier wheels. It didn't cost an arm and leg; it's designed to take a mike and guitar into that small saloon or coffeehouse environment, sounds decent and is decently durable for what I'm likely to do; it's got a line out to record or patch into a board for a bigger venue.

Is it the best amp to amplify my pickin'? Probably not. But I'm looking at it as a piece of equipment I would use, have and will use for what I mostly do. Heck, it's even worked fine in a small saloon band environment for saloon music.

m

Archived