Gibson Brands Forums

Got accepted into a Music Ed. Ph.D program!

ledzep59

Well I got accepted into one of the doctoral programs in music education that I applied to (Georgia State University in Atlanta). I am still waiting to hear back from U. of South Florida in Tampa who offer paid tuition a $10k a year stipend so it would basically be free or very cheap. I don't know what Georgia State offers, but I have a meeting with them next week. Either way, I got accepted into one program and 1/2 ain't bad!

Thanks guys. I always did enjoy the harpsichord solo that Martin plays in "In My Life" on Rubber Soul.

[cool] .... That is a great little solo break for sure....... Keep us posted on your progress' date=' and share some of that knowledge[cool']

Well I have played for 15 years, performed sparingly (for very little money), and always loved playing and discussing music. The degree will allow me to pursue my interests in music and aesthetic philosophy and still provide me with a future in education. My theory is pretty weak compared to some of the people who are doctoral candidates, but I am not really interested in the dry study of technique and theory. Most likely when I teach there I would teach a music philosophy course, a beginner guitar course, or a music history course.

He said it sounds like skeletons fornicating on a tin roof.

As I read this' date=' Mrs. Neo is watching [b']Deadwood[/b].

The piano just showed up at the Gem Saloon, Dan's watching how the business has picked up.

His boss Swearingen hates the noise, can't believe how much money he wasted getting it shipped in.

Kind of rinky-dink sounding - nothing like that harpsichord though...

Corngrats for certain.

Anytime someone has the privilege in life to do what he or she truly wants to do, and has the means to make it happen, it's a cause for celebration.

Just keep a close eye on the politics. Friends in the game tell me university politics can make GOP-Dem politics look like kiddie games.

I happen to like harpsichord, but I know a lady who says that she goes nuts if Bach's chromatic fantasia and fugue is played during dinner time. <grin>

m

Yes I am a big J.S. Bach fan also, especially some of his fugues. He was a monster on the organ.

I am really looking forward to a change in my life. Right now I am teaching and I do have a MA, but it is hard to get a steady tenure-track position without a doctorate. My dad was a professor at Georgia Tech for over 25 years and now I have about 3 years experience working in academia. The politics are incredibly cutthroat, but for the most part you can tell the real professors, the lovers of knowledge, from the fickle ones in it just to boost their career path. The great thing about academics is if you can weave through all the bureaucracy and "ivory towers" haters, you can get a good government or private job with security, benefits, and great hours. Not to mention that you get to continue learning and share your love of learning with others.

Neo- Aren't those parlor pianos just upright pianos?

Neo et al...

Actually in the earlier days in Deadwood - and the Gem - for real, figure that the piano probably was hauled in a bull wagon from the Missouri River. As the bull road went - you can still see tracks in various areas along the route - we're probably talking 250-300 miles at maybe 10-15 miles a day. Often less.

Both Deadwood and Lead were really pushin' the limits for "civilized" stuff ranging from the latest gadgets to pianos and as many variations on entertainments and "life brighteners" as one might imagine.

People and "stuff" also came up the trail from the UP in Nebraska and around the "back" of the Black Hills from the UP at Cheyenne. There was a trail to Bismarck and one to Miles City.

When the railroad finally made it to the area it was 1890.

Through it all, I'm not kidding, the latest gadgets truly were a major thing out here. Deadwood reeeeally was into that sorta thing. Theaters for live performance, phonographs, the latest sheet music and recordings all were a big deal.

Pianos really were popular along with various phonographs especially after the railroad could bring them both faster and in better shape on delivery. And bring them they did.

Hmmmm.... How's that for getting in a bit of history of music on the U.S. frontier? Technically, though I think the census bureau declared the frontier closed in the lower 48 in 1890 - the year the first railroad came to the Black Hills.

Oh - and a few years later F. Remington came out here to ride with and draw the cavalry....

m

When was the Deadwood heyday - starting 1867-ish?

Very brief from what I understand....

Anyhow, Mrs. Neo and I don't watch much TV and few series gather our attention.

Deadwood was one that just clicked with both of us, the language/dialogue and such.

Third/final season grew a bit lame.

She laughs when I find myself in a state of angered bewilderment like the Swearingen character often does.

Deadwood basically started up as a mining camp of some note in '76 - hence their PRCA rodeo and big local celebration is known as the "Days of '76." Custer set the stage with his tour of '74. The Gordon party near what's now Custer, SD, came something like four months later. In 1875 Custer was sorta founded and in '76, its estimated 10,000 residents was depleted by the run to the strike in Deadwood Gulch.

The railroad came to Deadwood and Lead in 90 and 91.

Thing is, I don't know what you mean by its "heyday." Wild Bill was killed in '76. His assassin was hanged in Yankton, D.T. roughly a year later. But mining and various sorts of recreation continue to today. The brothels remained open until the 1980s. If you knew how and where, there was pretty open gambling all the time; South Dakota approved "limited gaming" in Deadwood around 1990. It's now a heck of a little tourist town.

Rapid City today is the "big city" of the Hills, but the Hearsts of Homestake built a gorgeous theater in Lead, Shriners started their outfit while Deadwood still rivaled Rapid as "the main town." I bought my first hunting rifle in Deadwood. The Days of '76 rodeo has been named the best mid-size PRCA rodeo for quite a few years now. Deadwood spends bundles on historic preservation both in their town and in other communities.

So... Hmmmm. What's a heyday? <grin> Deadwood always has found ways to survive with a special kind of class in a nasty, steep gulch in the northern Black Hills.

BTW, in full disclosure, I was BSing with the Deadwood mayor tonight at a municipal league district meeting.

m

Days of 76 rodeo comes at the end of July.

http://www.deadwood.org/

In '67 over by the Bighorns, a fellah named Fetterman thought he could whip more Indians than he really expected to find. He was wrong. Until the '74 Custer expedition, this side of the Missouri in DT was pretty much the "Great Sioux Reservation."

After Custer lost his contest in '76 with Sitting Bull et al a half day's drive today, things changed. Crook chased down a bunch of Lakota on the famed "mulemeat march" and then stocked up on food and supplies at ... Deadwood.

m

Archived