Gibson Brands Forums

Got accepted into a Music Ed. Ph.D program!

ledzep59

Well I have played for 15 years' date=' performed sparingly (for very little money), and always loved playing and discussing music. The degree will allow me to pursue my interests in music and aesthetic philosophy and still provide me with a future in education. My theory is pretty weak compared to some of the people who are doctoral candidates, but I am not really interested in the dry study of technique and theory. Most likely when I teach there I would teach a music philosophy course, a beginner guitar course, or a music history course. [/quote']

Good stuff, I hope you do really well!

Might want to brush up on your theory though.

Thanks again, everyone. It feels pretty good. I won't forget about the forum.

Mcmurray- I plan to work on my theory this summer when I'm not teaching. Because I will not really focus on theory at all during my studies and dissertation, the only time I will need it is for the preliminary exams. However, I do want to work on my theory just to improve my playing/understanding of music.

• 4 years later...

Congratulations on doing something that is your passion. I have a Masters in Public Administration and I work in the federal work force. Can retire in less than five years. I wouldn't call my work my passion although I don't mind coming to work every day. Picked up learning music as a bucket list endeavor. Couldn't imagine actually studying it in a college environment. Again, congrats, this is a wonderful accomplishment.

Wow...so, like, can you prescribe...chords or something? [blink]

Knee slapper there!

Congrats on the PhD, led, and thanks for checking in. How does it feel to be ejumakated? Good to have a resident theorist. Don't be a stranger.

Izzy, that cracked me up!!

Congrats, Doctor! After I got my Ph.D. I went to the Greek islands for 6 weeks. I had a blast. I hope you have take some time to have some fun too before hitting the real world.

So, what was the topic of your dissertation? How did the defense go?

Izzy: Take 2/2 doses of C7 every morning with food.

Rocketman, I went on a couple small vacations but reality is setting in fast.

My dissertation defense went very smoothly. I just had to give a 45-minute presentation on my research, which was not a problem because the final paper was about 220 pages. My committee was extremely helpful and insightful throughout the entire process.

The title of my dissertation is: "I Did That Wrong and It Sounded Good: An Ethnographic Study of Vernacular Music Making in Higher Education" (it should be published online on Proquest within a month or so if you wish to look it up. The research examined the vernacular music making experiences that occurred during the two courses that I taught at the University of South Florida. The music making in these courses resembled how music is made outside of institutions (in garages, basements, bedrooms, etc.) rather than what is seen in "traditional" music education (band, choir, orchestra). If you would like to know more, you can message me. Here is the abstract:

"The purpose of this ethnographic study was to examine vernacular music making in higher education. The participants, undergraduate music education majors (N=23 for Fall, N=10 for Spring), were investigated throughout the course of the 2012-2013 academic year. A constructivist philosophical framework was applied and data were collected using several methodologies including participant observation, journals, interviews, and audiovisual and multimedia methods. Results showed that students were able to successfully learn, create, and share music in a vernacular manner. Participants took a pragmatic approach to making music. Furthermore, students engaged several aspects of music making they had not encountered in traditional music education. This study demonstrates how traditional and vernacular music cultures can be synthesized; the study also suggests that vernacular music cultures should be further examined and should be made part of the music education curriculum."

Archived