Gibson Brands Forums

Nerd-iest Hobby?

jimmiJAMM

I write... a lot. And I enjoy it [crying] I know, what the hell is wrong with me [thumbup]

Big on history, mainly wars, cool events that deal with journalism (Watergate Scandal and so forth)

I like to learn all of the inner workings of everything. I do a fair bit of shooting, and know the Colt 1911 inside and out. Take it apart, clean it, and put it back together in less than 15 minutes. Same goes for AR15s, I assembled two of them with my Dad, it was fun, and you learn alot about the workings of it. That is what partially inspired me to assemble a guitar.

That's about it, I'm kind of boring I guess...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guns are NEVER boring, Fred....

:-)

Colt 1911 .... Take it apart' date=' clean it, and put it back together in less than 15 minutes. [/quote']

15 minutes is an eternity.

I've seen guys do it in seconds, firing it in less than a minute without hurrying - no problem.

Me?

Yeah, 15 minutes or more...

Here's my daughter a few years ago - warms my heart to watch this....

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE]

I've seen guys do it in seconds' date=' firing it in less than a minute without hurrying - no problem.

Me?

[/quote']

My local shooting range got robbed....

They stole the pistols and the 2 shotguns...

I had wanted to go there, but I'll wait a while till all settles down.

My other hobby would be horses. I love horses and spend a whole lot of time with them whenever possible. Any animal for that matter, I just love furry little faces. Oh, and my pigeons. Yup, I'm a bit weird.

Californiaman, I have a Doug Flutie rookie card.... would that be worth anything?

My local shooting range got robbed....

They stole the pistols and the 2 shotguns...

I had wanted to go there' date=' but I'll wait a while till all settles down.[/quote']

The latest scandal at our local shooting range is suicide. We've had two of them in the last few months.

Mr. Robot...

Only 48? Sheesh...

Nathan... Yeah, writing gets to you...

You've read Clausewitz, Jomini, Liddle-Hart, Vegetius...??? Certainly Caesar, Tacitus... Plutarch... Sun Tzu has several good translations. Find stuff about Gustavus Adolphus... De Saxe commanded his own regiment at age 17 and his Reveries are interesting. There's a free pdf download you can still find on line, but it's in French.

In Sci Fi, David Drake is a classical scholar and Vietnam vet. I find it interesting that his space navy battles are not at all dissimilar to some historic naval battles... Great fun.

http://www.baen.com/library/

That'll give a basic shot at Drake and some other excellent military sci fi authors who wind history into great stories. 1632 by Eric Flint is the start of a pretty neat series with stuff from the time and place of Gustavus...

On a more historically correct note, Xenophon's stuff is pretty neat, too. A lot of people have read his Anabasis, but his treatise on cavalry is pretty interesting given that he was writing in the era before stirrups were in common use.

<grin>

m

Guns are NEVER boring' date=' Fred....

I've seen guys do it in seconds, firing it in less than a minute without hurrying - no problem.

Me?

[/quote']

And a thorough cleaning in 15 minutes? [blink] Damn [lol]

Taking it apart, and putting it back together, that's a minute, but cleaning, taking every part out, that's a little while. Hell, I can field strip it in less than 15 seconds.

I love the 1911, damn thing just runs and runs. Got a Sig P250 for my birthday, love it, except for the fact it has to go back to the factory... a SECOND TIME! After I got it, my dad knew three people that had them, all went back to the factory three times, on Sig's dime, but have worked flawlessly from there on out. Great little pistol, just need it back [crying]

AR-15's are a pain in the ***, too many little parts. I have no idea what Stoner was doing (hell, his name might imply something [confused] ) but who designs a fighting rifle, that the military will use and have to take apart in less than ideal areas, with so many damn little parts? Look at the AK, greatest rifle built IMO, and look at the parts. Nothing too small, and a huge extractor. Now look at the AR-15. So many tiny little pins, and if you lose it, you're screwed.

I want to move out to Arizona, I like suppressors [biggrin] and SBRs. Not too much into Class III's but a Thompson would be cool, and reloading would be fairly cheap and easy.

Yeah, guns aren't boring, I could go on for hours...

Guns are NEVER boring' date=' Fred....

Me?

Yeah, 15 minutes or more...[/quote']

And a thorough cleaning in 15 minutes? [lol] Damn [lol]

Taking it apart, and putting it back together, that's a minute, but cleaning, taking every part out, that's a little while. Hell, I can field strip it in less than 15 seconds.

I love the 1911, damn thing just runs and runs. Got a Sig P250 for my birthday, love it, except for the fact it has to go back to the factory... a SECOND TIME! After I got it, my dad knew three people that had them, all went back to the factory three times, on Sig's dime, but have worked flawlessly from there on out. Great little pistol, just need it back [blink]

AR-15's are a pain in the ***, too many little parts. I have no idea what Stoner was doing (hell, his name might imply something [confused] ) but who designs a fighting rifle, that the military will use and have to take apart in less than ideal areas, with so many damn little parts? Look at the AK, greatest rifle built IMO, and look at the parts. Nothing too small, and a huge extractor. Now look at the AR-15. So many tiny little pins, and if you lose it, you're screwed.

I want to move out to Arizona, I like suppressors [biggrin] and SBRs. Not too much into Class III's but a Thompson would be cool, and reloading would be fairly cheap and easy.

Yeah, guns aren't boring, I could go on for hours...

Wow you guys are crazy, aside from boy scouts the only guns I've fired are potato cannons, they are quite fun [crying]

I used to be a big time comic book nerd from the the time I was about 12 to 18 ('93-99). I wanted to go to art school to one day join Marvel. I still have all my comic books, the cards, the action figures. I was really into Marvel esp. X-Men. On ocassion I will still buy an action figure if I see one that is really cool. I think I have about 20 different Wolverine action figures. I also have some Star Wars stuff. My fav. piece is my Master Replica Darth Vader light saber. All the action figures I have stay in the packages. Most are new but I still love them. My son keeps asking me to open them but he's 3 and doesn't understand how these things go up in value. I love horror movies (not remakes). I'm pretty sure owning a katana and a kendo sword makes me nerdy too.

Also I'm a big South Park nerd. I have seen every episode and have all the DVD set and pretty much know everything there is to know about South Park without having to look up the answer.

Guns are NEVER boring' date=' Fred....[/quote']

Out in California over Thanksgiving I had the pleasure of shooting a bunch of rifles, a Ruger .44 Magnum, S&W .357 Magnum, snub nose 38 special and... wait for it... an AK-47 semi-automatic. Outdoors under the big blue sky.

God Bless America!

WC07b.JPG

This is NOT me...but I will have to dress like this at dressage shows if I move up a level.

I think that any hobby that requires you to dress like this in public just to compete qualifies as surpassingly nerdy...[blink]

/chuckle

I think you'd be quite normally dressed' date=' actually.....

(also not me)

[img']http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh242/dethvader/SCA/Valdryk_Conrad-1.jpg[/img]

Wow you guys are crazy' date='

aside from boy scouts the only guns I've fired are potato cannons, they are quite fun [/quote']

What?

Those things will get you KILLED!

[blink]

Compressed air, or are you igniting a propellant?

As far as the fun factor, something close to that is my three-man slingshot.

Hurls a 4-inch water balloon well over 100 yards.

Up close, it will tear sh!t up...

We want one of you.... any one agree that there should be at least one picture here on a horse? (a forum member not a borrowed pic).

I am a retired corrections officer...so I don't post pictures of me. Too many former "clients" after 25 years...sorry!

I suppose I could post a picture of the horse?

I think I had the advantage, truly, of knowing musicians back in the 50s on up to today who have been in their 70s and 80s... One guy here in town is in his 80s and still runs a couple of big bands, one in Texas and one on the northwest coast. I've known fiddlers and pickers into their 80s...

Hey, we've all got our own schtick for what and how we wanna play, but I never, ever considered that music was something to do only when you're under 30. The Grace Slick comment questioning the propriety of "older" folks playing rock and singing behind wrinkled faces kinda bothers me.

I can feature a time when I can't play any more, but that could happen tomorrow to the youngest folks on this forum with an illness or accident. I figure, too, that Django is a wonderful example of a musician who found a way not only to survive, but to prevail as a picker. He's one reason I've messed around with some alternative techniques since I was a "kid guitar player" myself.

============

Sweet Marie...

Hey, come out here and run some barrels! <grin>

============

Nathan... No thanks on so many semis. <grin> I agree, though, that Kalishnikov had a great design for a machine that works well in many circumstances.

========

My "little" brother (ain't hit 60 yet) and I were talking about "hobbies" a cupla months ago. He won't admit it, but he's a great motorcycle rider and riding instructor, excellent with firearms, quite a climber, diver...

Both of us have a desire to reach a good degree of skill at stuff, but it's mostly been comparing ourselves to our own idea of "perfection" rather than trying to be "better" than somebody else. And we're both too old to change. <grin>

m

My "little" brother (ain't hit 60 yet) and I were talking about "hobbies" a cupla months ago. He won't admit it' date=' but he's a great motorcycle rider and riding instructor, excellent with firearms, quite a climber, diver...[/quote']

Now those are some very cool hobbies. :)

Archived