Gibson Brands Forums

Zeroing in on the perfect '69. Serial # help please?

Neo Fender

posted in january re: searching for the most non-Louisville Slugger neck year for the 'SG and got some nice responses.

I played the Angus Young Signature Series (the one with the whammy bar) and it was, to quote Bon Scott, "Love at First Feel" - thing is, it's about $2800 after taxes. A 1969 Vintage SG has come up and I'm going to go give it a feel.

Any tips on what website will give me an accurate version of what I'm looking for in a serial number? I'm pretty sure the seller is trustworthy, but if I'm gonna invest $2400 CDN, I'd like to know it's the real deal.

It's got P-90's by the way, and from the pics looks pretty mint.

Yours in Rock,

Neo Fender

Verifying ANY 1969 Gibson is impossible from the serial number alone. The '69 serial numbers were all over the place, from the 5XX,XXX, 600's, 700's and 800's. All that can realy be said is it will be six digits starting with 5, 6, 7, or 8. The 5's were used in 65, 66, 68 & 69. The 6's, 7's and 8's were used in 66, 67, 68 & 69.

The potentiometer codes are your best bet, IF the guy will open up the back, AND you are able to read them around the ground wire solder. You are looking for a seven digit number most likely starting with 137 (manufactures code for CTS). The fourth and fifth digits are the year the pots were made. The last two digits are the week of that year.

1969 is very close to the big transition period for Gibson guitars that happened around 1970, when the neck volute was added, and the "Made In USA" stamp reappeared. So even a late '69 guitar MAY have one, or both, of these features.

Archived