Gibson Brands Forums

sg 61 reissue action

iommiClone

Hi all.

Been looking on the net but can't find the answers I need so..

I have a 90's les paul studio and have the action set pretty low with minimum neck relief (almost flat) and it plays and sounds a treat.

I have just bought a brand new 61 reissue sg and can't get the action anywhere near the lp..

I have about 0.010" neck relief at the 6th fret when fretted at the first and the string height set at 2mm bass side at 22 fret and 1mm treb side at the 22nd fret (unfretted).. this seems to be as low as I can get it.. (wthout major buzz. Iam still getting slight buzz and some choking on bends played above the 12th)

Is this normal with sg's?

If not what must I do to get the action any lower?

thanks in advance.

First off, those numbers are pretty low. Your problem could be due to serveral things. I would guess your LP has nice and level frets. In the last few years, some of the Gibson factory nut cuts and fret leveling has been less then stellar. With the problems you're having I'd say take it to a shop/luthier you trust, tell them what's going on and have it looked over. They should be able to explain what's going on and what the remedy options are, if any.

Your name is iommiclone, and you had a les paul before owning an SG? Wow.

Anyway, my 61 reissue has a lower action than any of the les pauls I've played, except for one old les paul deluxe.

All guitars are individuals though. I second the above recommendation. Only a "qualified" tech will be able to get it where you want it. These are great guitars though, so work with it and you'll be rewarded. Hopefully, you can take it to someone you trust, and that has a good record.

Ironlung40

Sounds like you need to keep bouncing between relief and bridge height. Throw away the ruler its useless. Keep at it, these newer guitars should get a good low action. Sometimes it's helpful to go for a dead straight board and lower the bridge until you buzz too much and work up from there for a string height you like. I have a couple gits that always have a slight buzz no matter what I do, but the amp isn't picking it up...

All of the above advice is right on but also want to add another suggestion for your issue. Have you considered getting the guitar Plek'd? Check out: http://www.plek.com/ for more info and locations of local shops that have the machine. My Angus Young Gibson Custom Shop SG came Plek'd from Gibson and the action is lower than any of my other 9 guitars, and incidentally, my favorite to play.

Thanks all..

Confirmed what I thought..

Pains me to spend money to sort the action.:-( Have spent enough already.

But don't think iam up to the fret leveling job just yet.

Love the sg though, had the lp for bout 6 years now but it has only been in the last two years

that I have been dicking about with the set up in such detail.

I have done all the set up on the les paul by eye n ear, but seems the sg is a different beast.

cheers.

Archived