Gibson Brands Forums

hi a littel help plz

slash#101

Buy the Gibson Les Paul Studio if you need a real Les Paul but don't have the budget. I do not like Epiphone LPs...and don't believe anyone who says "you're just paying for the logo." I bought my Studio in 1995 after playing plenty of Epi Standards and I haven't regretted it for a minute.

hi im only a kid but i kinda make peoples jaws dropp when they here me and i only play a gibson copy but they say i should get a epiphone or a studio whats best for me

Your not 13 year old brat from the Epi forum are you?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Epiphones, if you remember and take them for what they are. Lower price point copies of Gibson Les Pauls. So many people buy Epiphones, then look at them and compare them to Gibson's. They are not Gibson Les Pauls, so comparing them is a waste of time. For the price though, they are good guitars.

Which is the best for you? It might not even be a Gibson, let alone a Les Paul. Go and play as many guitars as you can from as many different makers as you can, and get the one the suits you best of all. Get the one that feels the best to you when you play. The one whose tone matches the style of music you play. The one that puts the biggest smile on your face. Brand and model is all secondary to that when you are looking for a player. Yes, it is nice to favour a certain model or maker, but if you get a guitar that is uncomfortable feeling and doesn't suit you, then you are doing a disservice to yourself and your talent.

A lot of people will buy a guitar thinking "I will adjust to it". Honestly, most never do and end up swithing to a different guitar, or spending a lot of money on mods, or the guitar sits unplayed. There are tons of quality makers out there who make similar guitars with different neck profiles and tons of different pickup combinations, So there is no need to 'settle' for a guitar. Buy the one that speaks to you the most, no matter what brand or model.

All that being said, there is nothing wrong with Epiphones, and there is nothing wrong with Studios.

Im 17 and have had an epi standard for about 2 years now and currently looking to get the gibson lp standard faded, alot of will power to save my money has come into hand here.

My epi standard is alrite, until the pick up selector switch went dodgy, and it keeps going out of tune.

Even after a professional set up it still goes out of tune alot.

I played my friends lp classic and really liked the feel of it, as i did with another of my friends lp custom. But i prefer the look of the standard faded, so thats what im looking for.

So moral to that story is.... gibsons are far better than epihpones

Im 17 and have had an epi standard for about 2 years now and currently looking to get the gibson lp standard faded' date=' alot of will power to save my money has come into hand here.

My epi standard is alrite, until the pick up selector switch went dodgy, and it keeps going out of tune.

I played my friends lp classic and really liked the feel of it, as i did with another of my friends lp custom. But i prefer the look of the standard faded, so thats what im looking for.

So moral to that story is.... gibsons are far better than epihpones[/quote']

Love my LP Standard Faded. Thin finish = fast neck and lots of sustain. BB Pros sound great. No complaints from me.

Hi Slash#101:

Raptor said it best. I've played expensive guitars (including Gibson LP's) that did not suit me at all. I thought that there must be something wrong with ME! I've also played cheap guitars that rock! Play what feels good to you!

Brian

It's always nice to score your dream guitar, and with a little time and effort, it will happen. But there's absolutely nothing wrong with having an Epi either. Actually, if you're new to Les Pauls in general, that's the place to start. You pretty much get the feel of the real mcoys, but also you're not blowing your bank account either. One of my nepews wanted a Gibson so bad, but I told my brother to check out the Epi's and luckily the GC in their area had a nice used one on display. He got it, had it set up, and now it plays better than my LP Classic.O:) LOL

Im 17 and have had an epi standard for about 2 years now and currently looking to get the gibson lp standard faded' date=' alot of will power to save my money has come into hand here.

So moral to that story is.... gibsons are far better than epihpones[/quote']

My neighbor has an epiphone joe perry lp and it's a great guitar but the gibsons are far better. I'll be getting one (a gibson, that is) soon

I own several Epis and several Gibsons and they're both great guitar for the money. The Gibsons are nicer, but they're also more expensive.

Add another vote for the faded LP Standard. I've had my tobacco burst almost a year now and love it!!! I'm actually looking to get a honey burst in the next few weeks. Also, in the next week or so, I'm going to try polishing it using some tips from the LP forum. A lot of guys have had great results and in my opinion, makes a nice guitar look even nicer.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108895

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Epiphones' date=' if you remember and take them for what they are. Lower price point copies of Gibson Les Pauls. So many people buy Epiphones, then look at them and compare them to Gibson's. They are not Gibson Les Pauls, so comparing them is a waste of time. For the price though, they are good guitars.

Which is the best for you? It might not even be a Gibson, let alone a Les Paul. Go and play as many guitars as you can from as many different makers as you can, and get the one the suits you best of all. Get the one that feels the best to you when you play. The one whose tone matches the style of music you play. The one that puts the biggest smile on your face. Brand and model is all secondary to that when you are looking for a player. Yes, it is nice to favour a certain model or maker, but if you get a guitar that is uncomfortable feeling and doesn't suit you, then you are doing a disservice to yourself and your talent.

A lot of people will buy a guitar thinking "I will adjust to it". Honestly, most never do and end up swithing to a different guitar, or spending a lot of money on mods, or the guitar sits unplayed. There are tons of quality makers out there who make similar guitars with different neck profiles and tons of different pickup combinations, So there is no need to 'settle' for a guitar. Buy the one that speaks to you the most, no matter what brand or model.

All that being said, there is nothing wrong with Epiphones, and there is nothing wrong with Studios.[/quote']

By the fact that both are Les Paul's, comparisons will be made. While I agree with you that everyone should play the guitars and make up their minds, I think it should be said that Epis do not sound or feel like Gibbie's, even the less expensive Studio models. I am so glad I didn't buy the Epi back in 1995 when I bought my Studio. At the time, the Standards had the 490/498 combo that was in the Studio, so I was getting close to the Standard's sound. The Epis simply do not compare. And that's why I say if you NEED (or crave) the Les Paul sound the way I did, save your money for a bit longer and buy the Gibson.

Hi Slash#101:

Raptor said it best. I've played expensive guitars (including Gibson LP's) that did not suit me at all. I thought that there must be something wrong with ME! I've also played cheap guitars that rock! Play what feels good to you!

Brian

hey brian

you know i actauly play a gibson les paul copy and its an ok sound iv played loads of rly exspensive guitars and only liked the gibson so i looked around and found a copy thats got an ok feel its best u find the right feeling when i pick up a guitar with a great feeling i dont whant to put it down its ok if u like copys i like copys but i like the sound and feeling of a real gibson anyway look out for any kind of gibson and look for the feeling and then if you have a buget then look for copys with a feeling like it and if you get a good sound that rocks then bobs your uncel any way try this out it work

catch ya l8ter

slash#101:d/ [-X/

Archived