Gibson Brands Forums

Kinda silly question...

Andre S

After being around these forums so long and hearing the responses for questions like this; a which one do I buy?

I feel silly asking this but I think its justified. So....

American Standard Stratocaster or Gibson Les Paul Traditional (most likely this would be the Gibson)

I have no idea how Strats feel, the closest I can play is a Mexican Standard Strat or a Squier[bored]

..depending on the local store's stock, they told me first hand that they don't stock the American Versions.

(thats why I think asking this is partially justified).

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buy one of each' date=' a mechanic needs all the right tools in the tool box for each type of job.

[/quote']

Well, yea, I should have been more specific.

I more meant which should be my next buy?

I don't know if its the sudden Eric Clapton mania I seem to have, so I don't know if the strat GAS is because of this...

Plus, with all the talks of the issues at Gibson, I was wondering how that would affect their guitars if I choose the strat first?

Remember I already have my Les Paul Studio, though its so modded by now....its only technically a Studio.

I would buy the LP first a Strat is a must have but there's a gazillian of them out there the Traditional is fairly new so if you love it knowing Gibson they will quit making it the way they do now and they'll do something stupid to it like drill it full of holes or turn it inside out or something goofy it's a nice guitar.

Yeah, I dunno.

The American Standard Strat ain't going nowhere.

Much cheaper than a Les Paul though.

Don't fall for the BS of the American Special Strat, it's cheaper for a reason.

Get the Standard.

And yes, a good Strat is something every guitarist should have in his tool box.

If nothing else, it's like Barbie for men - mix and match components to suit you.

That's why I have 3 of 'em!

Right now I'm kinda getting back into my Strats, so I'm leanin' that way. Last month I'd have leaned toward the Les Paul. Whichever way you're leanin', your won't be disappointed.

But, Yeah, stay away from the American Special. You'd get the same features with better pick ups on one of the Mexican Deluxe models.

And, besides....a LOT of people LOVE EC's LP tone, on the "Beano" album! Can't go wrong, with either purchase!

I see you have a LP Studio, already...and No "Strat!" Therefore, I'd get the Strat first, then the LP Traditional.

You're covered for LP tone, but have no Strat capability, Yet! So, as "Spock" would say..."Logic, dictates you

should acquire the Fender, first!" (Sorry, I just watched Star Trek (2009)...Again!...Fun movie!) ;>)

CB

Strats and Lesters do dofferent things.

I have both. It was never a matter of one or the other. Two different beasts and each has its pros and cons.

#1..SOUND!....Single coil vs Humbucker.

#2..WEIGHT.....Strats are usually lighter and more ergonomical.

#3..SCALE.....From nut to bridge a Strat has a longer scale length (25.5) compared to a Lester (24.75)

Those are just a few...If I didnt have to wee, id write down a few more....gotta go!!....bloody Tea.

Every player should have at least one of each plus a tele......and a ric......and a gretsch and.....

Nah' date=' played a mex. tele, didn't really like it, but obviously it varies.

Also remember if I pick the strat first I can get it in half the time as the LP

Quite possibly this year...

Whereas the LP would be in 3ish years.

Definitely it wouldn't be till after University (approx 4 years).

So you could say that this could be last GUITAR ([bored) for 4-5 years.

I have no idea how Strats feel' date=' the closest I can play is a Mexican Standard Strat or a Squier[bored']

..depending on the local store's stock, they told me first hand that they don't stock the American Versions.

The American Standard Strat is a whole 'nuther beast. The neck is far superior to the Mexican. The pick ups have more clarity and bite. I'm not knocking the MIM Fenders. they are fine but the American standard is very well put together.

I agree with Neo....the less expensive American Special is nothing special. Granted I have only tried one. I hope it was a fluke but it had weak pups IMO and I was playing through a tube amp. No sustain, the neck was ok. The Am Std is a guitar I would buy over and over again.

Fender QC on those guitars has been really consistant the last several years IMO. Gibson...not so much. I love my Gibson but they aint what they used to be.

The American Standard Strat is a whole 'nuther beast. The neck is far superior to the Mexican. The pick ups have more clarity and bite. I'm not knocking the MIM Fenders. they are fine but the American standard is very well put together.

I agree with Neo....the less expensive American Special is nothing special. Granted I have only tried one. I hope it was a fluke but it had weak pups IMO and I was playing through a tube amp. No sustain' date=' the neck was ok. The Am Std is a guitar I would buy over and over again.

Fender QC on those guitars has been really consistant the last several years IMO. Gibson...not so much. I love my Gibson but they aint what they used to be.[/quote']

If I am getting a strat first it will definitely be the Standard or the Deluxe....

If I am getting a strat first it will definitely be the Standard or the Deluxe....

That would be very wise...the deluxe comes w/ the LSR nut which I love. At least I think they still have that feature. I know they kept the block saddles on those.

Get a Strat, or if you want, do what I am doing. Buy a Mex Strat, upgrade electronics. I already have a body off of a MIJ one, I'm gonna route and put in a pickguard. You need a Strat, its official law.

Teles are acquired tastes. I hated them, now I love em. Probably going to buy a MIM one later this year (After a Night Train and an AC4 [cool] )

Get a Strat' date=' or if you want, do what I am doing. Buy a Mex Strat, upgrade electronics. I already have a body off of a MIJ one, I'm gonna route and put in a pickguard. You need a Strat, its official law.

Teles are acquired tastes. I hated them, now I love em. Probably going to buy a MIM one later this year (After a Night Train and an AC4 [cool )

Yup but I mean to buy first, cos

I can get the strat sooner because its cheaper but with all the apparent problems that Gibson is seeming to have....

Thats why I wonder if its better to wait a year or two and get the Gibby first.

Hi, you have a Les Paul already so I would vote for getting an American stratocaster, especially if you can get a deluxe. My Am standard (bought new in 1993) has served me well, and I have played the deluxe's and I REALLY like them. I hope to get one someday.

It will give you a wider range of sounds to play with. I love my Les Pauls, but sometimes I strap my strat on and it feels so light in comparison and the contoured body fits so comfortably, then there's the sound.

Let us know what you get. My vote in this case is an American Deluxe strat, and if you get one I'll be envious!!

Hi' date=' you have a Les Paul already so I would vote for getting an American stratocaster, especially if you can get a deluxe. My Am standard (bought new in 1993) has served me well, and I have played the deluxe's and I REALLY like them. I hope to get one someday.

It will give you a wider range of sounds to play with. I love my Les Pauls, but sometimes I strap my strat on and it feels so light in comparison and the contoured body fits so comfortably, then there's the sound.

Let us know what you get. My vote in this case is an American Deluxe strat, and if you get one I'll be envious!![/quote']

I know, but I mean what about Gibson if they crash ( Guitar God forbid) then....no LP's [thumbup]

Buying used isn't an option especially since I'm not in the US

Since I just saw Avatar' date=' why not to like the movie when they paired off with the flying creatures. Go to a music shop and let it speak to you. Although I did what your trying to do. I had a custom already and a few other gibson products but no strat's; the strat is a completely different breed and different sound and tone. You have to work for that tone on a strat and a LP or Gibson will just give it to ya. Like said above you have a Gibson already; its time to have a more well rounded ability in your tone. Something nly a strat and guitar with Strat abilities will give you like Ibanez Prestige series guitars. [/quote']

The music stores don't have anything I'm interested in...one mexican strat, a mexican tele and squiers and other imitations.

I know' date=' but I mean what about Gibson if they crash ( Guitar God forbid) then....no LP's [crying']

Buying used isn't an option especially since I'm not in the US

I really don't think you have to worry about that. The only thing would be if Gibson discontinued or changed the Traditional line which they're famous for doing.

Can't you buy on eBay and have it shipped internationally?

I really don't think you have to worry about that. The only thing would be if Gibson discontinued or changed the Traditional line which they're famous for doing.

Can't you buy on eBay and have it shipped internationally?

Doesn't matter if they change or discontinue the traditional line' date=' I believe there will always be a Gibson out there for me. [blush

I can, but my parents don't want me to, they say its easy to get ripped off on Ebay ( I know ) and if anything is wrong with the item the cost of shipping to and from is a b!tch.

I know' date=' but I mean what about Gibson if they crash ( Guitar God forbid) then....no LP's [crying']

I don't think that will happen. I know we keep hearing about this, but we've been hearing it for years. There are plenty of Les Pauls out there anyway and you will ALWAYS be able to get a used one. I know you're not in the USA, but there's always ebay etc. I got my 1975 LP Deluxe from Australia via ebay and it's fantastic. You can have anything shipped worldwide these days. You just have to be careful and do your research with used guitars. You should buy what you feel will be the best instrument for your purposes at this time. People always say bad things about the Norlin era, but some of the Norlin era Les Pauls I've seen (mine included) are fantastic. The acoustics were not so great though. The Gibson brand is such a strong iconic brand that I can't see it not being around. If they got taken over it would be like the CBS takeover of Fender or the Norlin takeover at Gibson. Some good and some bad things came of both those events, but look at the Gibsons and Fenders we can buy new right now. They're great!

After being around these forums so long and hearing the responses for questions like this; a which one do I buy?

I feel silly asking this but I think its justified. So....

American Standard Stratocaster or Gibson Les Paul Traditional (most likely this would be the Gibson)

I have no idea how Strats feel' date=' the closest I can play is a Mexican Standard Strat or a Squier[bored']

strats are fantastic!, i have a standard in white with maple neck and i love it! although you are comparing two guitars in different price ranges...a standard strat (new) can be had for £7-800 here but a les paul trad is about £1700, shame you can't try a standard strat out :P

I had no idea the Deluxe was in consideration.

If you can swing a few extra bucks, go for it!

They are well worth the money, son had one he ordered new.

I can see only a single draw back to the Deluxe;

The neck heel is shaved away, and the neck bolt pattern is different on the Deluxe vs. the Standard line.

Necks/bodies do not easily interchange if you decide to do the Fred/Barbie thing and mix/match parts.

American Strats (and much Mexican) are the pattern everybody build parts for, the most common one.

Once you head into the realm of the Squire and the other sh!t from The Orient all bets are off.

Nothing fits, nothing is a direct replacement, and replacing parts is always 100 times harder than it should be.

Just like Gibson.

If you have the money, I'd get the LP now. If you don't have a Strat, you need to get one eventually. A Strat is a guitar that just keeps on giving. If you get bored with it, for a couple hundred bucks (tops) you can make mods that will make it sound like a completely different guitar, thus you have a new guitar to satisfy your GAS, and you're not out much. I wouldn't mod a high dollar LP, but that's just me.

Archived