Gibson Brands Forums

Kinda silly question...

Andre S

I had no idea the Deluxe was in consideration.

If you can swing a few extra bucks' date=' go for it!

They are well worth the money, son had one he ordered new.

I can see only a single draw back to the Deluxe;

The neck heel is shaved away, and the neck bolt pattern is different on the Deluxe vs. the Standard line.

Necks/bodies do not easily interchange if you decide to do the Fred/Barbie thing and mix/match parts.

American Strats (and much Mexican) are the pattern everybody build parts for, the most common one.

Once you head into the realm of the Squire and the other sh!t from The Orient all bets are off.

Nothing fits, nothing is a direct replacement, and replacing parts is always 100 times harder than it should be.

Just like Gibson.

[/quote']

The Deluxe was being considered, but a major selling point of the Strat was the look of the Eric Clapton Blackie Strat

They don't offer the Deluxe in Black, and thats the colour that I'm set on.

I could probably swing the extra, but it would take a year or so of saving....

I don't mind saving for the Gibson....cos its a Gibson...[biggrin]

Thats the problem, a Fender that I can get much quicker or a Gibson that will take forever to save for.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just recently turned to gibson, i have always been a strat guy. I know this sounds sooo crazy, but do not dismiss a squier. [biggrin]

Squier just introduced the classic vibe series.

I am a member of strat-talk and they talk very highly of these, most compare them to USA strats.

Yep.

Just like the Chinese Epiphones are just as good as the Gibsons - so much more worth the money.

Bullsh!t.

I've been inside enough of those guitars replacing the sh!tty electrical components.

All the guys telling you how great they are have never pulled the pickguard.

That being said, I know guys who gig with Squires because they don't want to invest a bunch of money in it.

As long as it works for gigs, they're happy. They don't need a Strat bad enough to spend $1,000 on it.

Do NOT compare them before you've been under the pickguard of BOTH.

I just recently turned to gibson' date=' i have always been a strat guy. I know this sounds sooo crazy, but do not dismiss a squier. [blink']

Squier just introduced the classic vibe series.

I am a member of strat-talk and they talk very highly of these, most compare them to USA strats.

Ehhh I'm skeptical... For the money you might as well get a good used Fender.

Used is good - as long as the price is.

Telecasters seem to be the worst.

How can a guitar built in such huge volumes still retain so much of its value?

Hell, you can buy new ones all day long!

I would certainly look at used stuff, but there's something to be said for your first Strat being YOURS.

They don't offer the Deluxe in Black' date=' and thats the colour that I'm set on.

[/quote']

They have made the deluxe in black. I have played one, in fact I nearly bought it and wish I had. I think it was called Montego black or something, and it came with a gold coloured (?anodised) pickguard which I would normally hate but it looked just right. Have they stopped making them in black? I think you could look for a used one if that's the one you go for.

They have made the deluxe in black. I have played one' date=' in fact I nearly bought it and wish I had. I think it was called Montego black or something, and it came with a gold coloured (?anodised) pickguard which I would normally hate but it looked just right. Have they stopped making them in black? I think you could look for a used one if that's the one you go for.

[/quote']

Hmm..

Not here, but gold pickguard..ugh

http://www.music123.com/Fender-American-Deluxe-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-423685-i1519077.Music123

gold pickguard..ugh

I actually really dislike gold hardware etc on guitars generally, but you know what . . . I thought that adonised gold (sort of matte) pickguard looked just right on that Montego black strat.

Also I have seen gold pickguards on some Rickenbackers that actually look great.

That black deluxe strat with a white guard Nathan has given a link too looks really good.

Besides, if I am going for the Deluxe, I may save and get the EC model [lol]

Things like that make me neglect my other guitars...(strings, other accessories etc.)

But in the end its worth it.

I can't decide which would be better, the EC sig, (the only EC sig out of all made, fender and martin that I can afford :-[lol]) or the deluxe...

Besides' date=' if I am going for the Deluxe, I may save and get the EC model [drool']

I can't decide which would be better, the EC sig, or the deluxe...

For me it would definitely be the Deluxe. I'm not a Clapton fan anyway, but I don't really go for signature guitars. But it's a personal choice.

The Deluxe (or any other non-signature guitar) is anonymous and it can be whatever you want it to be. A signature guitar is making a statement. I like the blank canvas of a non-signature guitar, then you make it yours.

Of course the Deluxe has a name on it . . . Fender, but to me that's not the same thing as an artist signature (and yes you could argue that a Les Paul is a signature guitar too, I know).

For me it would definitely be the Deluxe. I'm not a Clapton fan anyway' date=' but I don't really go for signature guitars. But it's a personal choice.

The Deluxe (or any other non-signature guitar) is anonymous and it can be whatever you want it to be. A signature guitar is making a statement. I like the blank canvas of a non-signature guitar, then you make it yours.

Of course the Deluxe has a name on it . . . Fender, but to me that's not the same thing as an artist signature (and yes you could argue that a Les Paul is a signature guitar too, I know).

[/quote']

Yea, I usually wouldn''t buy a signature guitar but its only 100 more...but I think in this case the Deluxe may be better

I remember Neo said that the TBX circuits didn't make that much of a difference, and it does have some nice switching options with the S-1 switch.

I played on one today, it was great. 9s are way too light for me, but it still played great. One cool thing on the HSS model is that it has a button that brings you automatically to the bridge pickup, cranked up. Cool if you play soft, heavy, soft and want to keep it the same way.

I don't think I would get that model, but it was a cool feature. I don't really like signature guitars, I want to make it my own, not someone else's.

Go with what sounds good to you though. I have played some signatures I have liked, but some of them are expensive for the features.

I played on one today' date=' it was great. 9s are way too light for me, but it still played great. One cool thing on the HSS model is that it has a button that brings you automatically to the bridge pickup, cranked up. Cool if you play soft, heavy, soft and want to keep it the same way.

I don't think I would get that model, but it was a cool feature. I don't really like signature guitars, I want to make it my own, not someone else's.

Go with what sounds good to you though. I have played some signatures I have liked, but some of them are expensive for the features.[/quote']

I think in terms of features however the Deluxe is far superior to the EC model.

But do you know of any online dealers that have it with the Black, White pickguard and Maple Neck?

Or its back to the Standard...not too much of a bad thing, more room to mod...with the deluxe I wasn't planning to touch it.

I think in terms of features however the Deluxe is far superior to the EC model.

But do you know of any online dealers that have it with the Black' date=' White pickguard and Maple Neck?

Or its back to the Standard...not too much of a bad thing, more room to mod...with the deluxe I wasn't planning to touch it.[/quote']

I'd go Standard, just cuz. If you want to mod it, you can, and it would be easy.

BTW, why would this be a silly question?

Yea' date=' I usually wouldn''t buy a signature guitar but its only 100 more...but I think in this case the Deluxe may be better

I remember Neo said that the TBX circuits didn't make that much of a difference, and it does have some nice switching options with the S-1 switch.[/quote']

I don't look at the EC signature the same as other sigs. It's been in production so long and has gone through so many changes it's really become it's own monster. I still want an early 90's EC Strat in Gun Metal Grey, and it's not because I wanna be like Clapton, but because it's one of the finest Strats ever I ever played. Roller Nut and Lace Sensors on Ash, Mmmm.

Besides, Pete Townsend and Mike Rutherford both use EC Strats.

I bought a couple of '70s reissue Strats about 2-3 years ago. American. They are ok. I did play a MiM Strat for about 10 years before that. When i went to change the pickups ,(on the MiM Strat) a few months ago i found a funny thing . everything on the inside was American made. Pots(cts), caps, pups. Now unless things have changed and after talking with a few different guitar techs,It seems that they are just assembled in Mexico. The necks are the same and most parts are too. I'm no expert on Strats. And now with all the different models , go American . Still the best. Unless you get something from japan. I have 1 from 1987 and it's the best playing Strat i have. At that time $300.00 --- who knew?

I don't look at the EC signature the same as other sigs. It's been in production so long and has gone through so many changes it's really become it's own monster. I still want an early 90's EC Strat in Gun Metal Grey' date=' and it's not because I wanna be like Clapton, but because it's one of the finest Strats ever I ever played. Roller Nut and Lace Sensors on Ash, Mmmm.

Besides, Pete Townsend and Mike Rutherford both use EC Strats.[/quote']

You need to get yourself a Fender strat plus...a little cheaper than the EC and better playability IMO. I have only played maybe 2 or 3 EC sigs and 7 strat pluses (I own a 1989). Best guitar Fender ever produced. They started using the LSR nut in mid 93. The deluxe has a 2 piece Ash body (really heavy piece o wood).

I'd go Standard' date=' just cuz. If you want to mod it, you can, and it would be easy.

BTW, why would this be a silly question?[/quote']

Because they are two completely different guitars and picking between them is .....can't really describe it....I dunno...it struck me as weird and silly when I typed it so I titled it that.

You need to get yourself a Fender strat plus...a little cheaper than the EC and better playability IMO. I have only played maybe 2 or 3 EC sigs and 7 strat pluses (I own a 1989). Best guitar Fender ever produced. They started using the LSR nut in mid 93. The deluxe has a 2 piece Ash body (really heavy piece o wood).

If I ever see one I'll try it out, Fender was making some good stuff around that time.

If I ever see one I'll try it out' date=' Fender was making some good stuff around that time.[/quote']

I have been watching them on ebay for the last 8 years. Prices steadily going up for that model. I don't often see them used in stores much. I'd love to have an arsenal of 'em.

Archived