Gibson Brands Forums

Kinda silly question...

Andre S

Okay, here's a whole different take.

The strat and the LP are entirely different types of instrument, largely due to the neck and scale.

Given today's electronics, "tone" is something less of a consideration.

I find that the neck radius and scale on the strat makes it functionally impossible for me to do "my thing" with. I can vary my style and play flatpick "in a band" type blues or country, but not "my thing" which is quite different even in a blues, rock or country ensemble.

The advantage to that is that the two types of instrument may give you an opportunity to explore your own vision of technique. The disadvantage is that it forces you into somewhat of a different technique.

I'd say that your decision should largely be on how you play and whether you feel that's where you're headed.

Unfortunately at your age that's like asking what you anticipate what your entire life may be like in 40 years. <grin> Been there, done that.

I had advice like, "Get ONE guitar and concentrate on it and its style." Yeah, right. That was an error. I like a little Bach, a little rock, a little country, a little folk, a little bluegrass, a little blues.......... and mostly variations on how I do finger style pickin'. I was exactly the same back 45+ years ago.

So tell me what's the perfect guitar for me then? You hear so many "get this because..." bits of advice. If you're playing in different groups, you end up playing differently and frankly, different guitars seem at an "under 60" age to be much better than others and you end up buying, selling and swapping much too much.

I'd say that in ways, either choice is excellent or not terribly appropriate, depending on what happens to you the next four years or so. I don't care much for the Strat. A Jag, maybe a Jazzmaster... but sorry, the "Gibson" style neck is much more appropriate for how my head wants to play. A Jag with a Gibson neck maybe? <grin>

If suddenly I were in your boots? I'd buy the neck I feel most comfortable playing on. It'll handle most stuff you may end up playing except that which requires an acoustic for other sorts of reasons.

It took me over 30 years to realize the 175 is "my" guitar. But I still love my sg, a 12, a steel and a nylon AE. I covet a dot with a neck that feels right. I found one and ... stupidly didn't when I should have. Haven't found one since.

Hmmmm.

m

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Damn . . . all this stuff about American Deluxe stratocasters has had me looking at them all weekend and now I'm very close to considering getting one.

Nooo

the GAS is infecting others!!!

What colour are you looking at?

I can't seem to find the black with white pickguard and maple neck in any of the online retailers I frequent.

I think I'm going to go for the Montego black one with the gold (yes I know) pickguard. But that one Nathan posted a link to with the mint green guard was very nice too. The Montego black is discontinued, but I've managed to find several (new) ones still available. I want a rosewood neck. I already have a strat with a maple neck.

I think I'm going to go for the Montego black one with the gold (yes I know) pickguard. But that one Nathan posted a link to with the mint green guard was very nice too. The Montego black is discontinued' date=' but I've managed to find several (new) ones still available. I want a rosewood neck. I already have a strat with a maple neck.[/quote']

Go with the one I posted. Then you can blame me [biggrin] It's not your fault

Hey GLP1319:

Here is my best advice to you.

If you have a music store near you, i.e: Guitar Center, Local Shops, Maybe even a pawn shop.

Go to the stores and try out different models of guitars. Trust me on this one!

Strats are generally the same, appearance wise, but the necks on them are different radiuses, pickups, wood tones.

I've heard horror stories of people ordering strats online, to only not be able to play them because they are so uncomfortable.

So go get a feeling for the different necks and things, and then order based off that.

Hey GLP1319:

Here is my best advice to you.

If you have a music store near you' date=' i.e: Guitar Center, Local Shops, Maybe even a pawn shop.

Go to the stores and try out different models of guitars. Trust me on this one!

Strats are generally the same, appearance wise, but the necks on them are different radiuses, pickups, wood tones.

I've heard horror stories of people ordering strats online, to only not be able to play them because they are so uncomfortable.

So go get a feeling for the different necks and things, and then order based off that.

[/quote']

Music Stores, one is a PRS dealer that don't really have that much in stock, the others stock Yamaha, Squiers, strat imitations, les paul imitations and the best they have is a Mexican strat, thats the one I intend to play to see if I like it.

Plud I found out yesterday the price to ship back a guitar in case I didn't like it...its like quarter the price of the guitar, so whatever comes stays.

If I had a proper music store such as Guitar Centre then this thread wouldn't exist.

[biggrin]

Music Stores' date=' one is a PRS dealer that don't really have that much in stock, the others stock Yamaha, Squiers, strat imitations, les paul imitations and the best they have is a Mexican strat, thats the one I intend to play to see if I like it.

Plud I found out yesterday the price to ship back a guitar in case I didn't like it...its like quarter the price of the guitar, so whatever comes stays.

If I had a proper music store such as Guitar Centre then this thread wouldn't exist.

[biggrin

Oh okay, i take it you live in a secluded part somewhere. Well i am sorry to hear of this, good luck on finding one my friend!

or just find a rich girl ;]

Oh okay' date=' i take it you live in a secluded part somewhere. Well i am sorry to hear of this, good luck on finding one my friend!

or just find a rich girl ;']

Yup the Gibson/Fender Deprived Caribbean.

Go with the one I posted. Then you can blame me [biggrin] It's not your fault

Ha ha!! Well I do like it Nathan, but that one has a V neck and the one I'm going for has a C neck. Also it is cheaper and doesn't look like a Clapton strat!! But can I blame you anyway?

Plud I found out yesterday the price to ship back a guitar in case I didn't like it...its like quarter the price of the guitar' date=' so whatever comes stays.

[/quote']

. . . every cloud has a silver lining . . . I bet you can get really fresh coconuts cheap!!!!

. . . every cloud has a silver lining . . . I bet you can get really fresh coconuts cheap!!!!

But it isn't such a big deal or novelty as if a foreigner came...

Its just natural here.

Familiar with the Bizarre Foods show?

He did an episode here.

zombiebear said pretty much the same as I did - and given we're rather different folks in terms of technique and approach to guitar playing, that's to me a confirmation of what I'd written.

Frankly I got a cheap fake Strat once simply to force myself to consider the fingerboard differently - a training exercise if you will.

But play it in public?

I don't think so. It doesn't "work" for much of anything I play. It was worth $100 US as a lesson source; it's not worth a dollar as something for me to play in front of people.

m

Ok so after dreaming about it all weekend I called the store today that had the montego black deluxe American stratocaster I had decided was the one I wanted. Their website said it was in stock, but when I called they didn't have one. They called Fender and they don't have anymore and are not making that colour now. They did have an olympic pearl white one with a rosewood neck though (at the right price). So now I'm thinking about that. I already have an oly white strat (maple board) I bought new back in 1993. But this one is a deluxe with the noiseless pickups, S1 switching, locking tuners, tortoise colour guard etc. I'm going to think about it overnight. I love white guitars but I already have two (both Fenders) and had got my heart set on the montego black one with gold pickguard. I'm blaming glp1319 for all this!!! Sorry I know this is the Gibson Forum, but I like Fenders too!

I'm blaming glp1319 for all this!!! Sorry I know this is the Gibson Forum' date=' but I like Fenders too![/quote']

Then I'd better see loads of pics of my handiwork.

GAS infusion technique: success [thumbup]

I don't think I'll get the Deluxe..they don't have it in black, and thats is definitely the colour I want. Now if they could drop black from the Standard line, my GAS will be gone!

I think I'm going to go for the Montego black one with the gold ... pickguard.

Our son got a new Montego Black Deluxe with a Maple neck in 2005.

Great guitar - it was pawned for dope.

The gold pickguard is no deal-breaker, that's a fairly simple swap and there are millions of styles available.

I wasn't a fan of the metal flake look of the Montego black, but it actually hid dust and scratches really well.

Plain old black shows everything....

• 5 weeks later...

Rather than start a new thread I'll just use this one for opinions on another alternative I have.

Gibson SG Standard/339

or

filling up the rest of the rig:

Marshall Class 5, Boss Rc-2, MXR delay and fuzz, whirlwind amp switcher and possibly fralin paf's for my LP

:-k :-k

Me, I've already got a semi and a solid fitting roughly the description of the two.

SG is lighter and may take a little more of a beating and is cheaper. Any semi will be a bit more fragile, will sound better (IMHO) and is a bit easier to practice with sans amp.

I dunno what you've got for an amp or where you propose to be in school and what uses you perceive for guitar.

That means you may be better off holding until you scout the land a little more.

m

Me' date=' I've already got a semi and a solid fitting roughly the description of the two.

SG is lighter and may take a little more of a beating and is cheaper. Any semi will be a bit more fragile, will sound better (IMHO) and is a bit easier to practice with sans amp.

I dunno what you've got for an amp or where you propose to be in school and what uses you perceive for guitar.

That means you may be better off holding until you scout the land a little more.

m

[/quote']

I was thinking that afterwards.....influenced by Clapton, Bonamassa, Johnny A and Slash....and Bonamassa is known for using Fender and Marshall style amps together.....so that was something I was going to do....

Plus the pedals I was thinking of getting would have covered these artists and made for pretty basic effects rig which is how I want it, as basic as possible.

Archived