Gibson Brands Forums

New 08 Les Paul Standard Plus Models Have a Perfect Set-up Guarantee.

cudamax2343

Does anybody really think Gibson is going to be able to do this. With all the nuts that hang-up and maybe sometimes the Intonation comes out of the box close, but never have I seen one with a perfect set-up. Are they going to authorize and pay for anyone to take it to a gibson authorized dealer if its not perfect like they say? A perfect set for me may not be a perfect set-up for you.

If they honor this, man its about time and its a great move in a really positive direction. It will really be a good think for everyone that buys a new axe to have gibson pay a Mom and Pop gibson local store to set-up your new axe to your preferance to ensure your new Gibson purchace is sweet. Check this out. This is where they advertise the perfect set-up guarantee.http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPSTDpHSNH/

The cats out of the bag. The perfect set up guarantee is because they are pleked. Don't know what that means? A computer shaves the frets to the exact height, tells how many turns of the truss rod to get the desired relief. Basically a computer sets up a guitar, they have been doing this on historic for a while looks like it got farther down the pipes.

What they are saying is that it will come from the factory with a "perfect set up" i.e. intonation, no buzz, perfect nut cut, fret shave...etc. After that each player will do his or her desired tweeking..

Here is what they say:

Perfect Setup - Guaranteed

All Les Paul Standard 08 Plus guitars receive state-of-the-art treatment using Gibson's new Plek machines for a guaranteed perfect setup. The system mechanically dresses each guitar under true playing conditions, identifying what the guitar needs to achieve flawless fretwork. Every Les Paul Standard 08 Plus boasts perfect intonation, buzz-free performance, and a personalized setup.

I believe they are stating that the Plek machine sets up the neck to optimize performance. Not that they are going to set up each guitar to each persons seperate specs, wants, needs. They are not paying Guitar shop employees to customize each model the way you want it. What do you think this is Burger King?

But there will be thousands that will refute that setup based on personal preference and try to make Gibson eat the ticket.

I see a goat rope coming soon...................................

Rest assured that the cost of the PLEK will be passed right onto the buyers..........................but that's not a really evil thing.

No gibson says perfect set-up. If a buyer gets one and its not they have to now make sure it is. Good or bad thing for them don't know but it is going to cost they' date=' because if it's not they have to make sure it is, at there cost.[/quote']

Your reading too much into the statement.

It's not saying that Gibson is guaranteeing a perfect set-up, or you get anything. It reads that they are now using the Plek machine which gives guaranteed perfect set-up, due to it's computer technology. It's their personalized set-up, not yours. Gibson cannot control what happens to the guitar once it leaves there factory. Let alone the humidity, temprature, or the kid who picks it up and plays it before you.

But there will be thousands that will refute that setup based on personal preference and try to make Gibson eat the ticket.

I see a goat rope coming soon...................................

Rest assured that the cost of the PLEK will be passed right onto the buyers..........................but that's not a really evil thing.

Ten's of thousand's. They will be paying dealers to make sure it's done right and that's a good thing for all of us, If they do it.

I have to say, I just purchased a new Standard last week and it was perfect right out of the box. My fingers were the first to touch it once we opened the box at the store and it played like a dream. Of course that is only one guitar, but I have to say I was impressed.

I have to say' date=' I just purchased a new Standard last week and it was perfect right out of the box. My fingers were the first to touch it once we opened the box at the store and it played like a dream. Of course that is only one guitar, but I have to say I was impressed.[/quote']

Same here when I bought my '06 Standard. It was a dream right from the box.

But I don't read it that way. It's not saying that Gibson is guaranteeing a perfect set-up' date=' or you get anything. It reads that they are now using the Plek machine which gives guaranteed perfect set-up, due to it's computer technology. It's their personalized set-up, not yours.[/quote'] Read what the ad is stating, it simply say's "A PERFECT SET-UP GUARANTEED" Who cares what or how they do it on the assembly line. It's not a promo for a new way of making a guitar that say's it will be better. They simply state a perfect set-up guaranteed. And that's a good thing, because of the way a lot have been going out. This should put a lot more respect back in their line up with that kind-of backing, and a lot more enjoyment back into a new guitar buyer and a lot less post's on this will not stay in tune/this doesn't sound right to new players.

Read what the ad is stating' date=' it simply say's "A PERFECT SET-UP GUARANTEED" Who cares what or how they do it on the assembly line. It's not a promo for a new way of making a guitar that say's it will be better. They simply state a perfect set-up guaranteed.[/quote']

That's Sweetwaters Ad, not Gibson's. It is a sales feature for a new way of making the guitar better!

There not stating something that is untrue, but they are a retailer. They want you to be excited about the product enough to purchase it. Therfore some "fluff" may be added.

Here is Gibson's Description on Plek, and why they use it.

“Hand-made” still carries a lot of weight in the realm of craftsmanship, in regards to musical instruments in particular. While the close, personal attention of Gibson’s skilled luthiers still gives Custom Shop guitars much of their cache, all of these fine electrics now have their playability perfected by an extremely advanced machine, known as the PLEK system.

When considering all the elements that provide you with that warm, fuzzy glow when selecting your next high-end instrument, think again if you think the PLEK sounds like a step backwards. The PLEK is no ordinary machine. It is, in fact, the embodiment of precision as regards to fret dressing and nut slot cutting, and it is quite possibly the most significant advancement in servicing technology since the electric guitar was conceived.

In short, the PLEK system, developed by Gerd Anke of A+D Guitarrentechnologie GmbH in Berlin, Germany, is a computer-controlled “robot” that reads a guitar’s frets with incredible accuracy, then automatically files and finishes them to produce the desired “action” as determined by a Gibson technician. This sounds simple enough, perhaps, but it’s an incredibly complex operation, and one that offers unprecedented precision.

“We use the PLEK for fret finishing and for cutting nut slots,” says Matthew Klein of the Gibson Custom Shop. “First, it reads [measures] a guitar’s neck and frets, which it’s able to do to an accuracy of a thousandth of a millimeter, then it machines [files] them to an accuracy of a hundredth of a millimeter.” The scan itself records a wealth of data about each individual guitar, including the height of each fret from the fingerboard, each fret’s individual radius, fingerboard radius, neck pitch and relief (bow), nut and bridge alignment, and much, much more. The PLEK can even tell its operating technician whether a truss rod adjustment is required before optimum fret dressing can be achieved, and once it has measured all the frets in such detail—and dressed them—the machine knows exactly how to cut the nut for optimum string spacing and slot height in relation to the fret height and the edges of the fingerboard. All of this is achieved with access to a myriad of different software packages that the PLEK references according to the type of set up desired, the guitar’s string gauge and scale length, neck curve, and other significant factors.

Gibson now has two PLEK machines, each of which takes approximately 15 minutes to complete a guitar. The PLEK system was first used on the Custom Shop’s Les Pauls, then the SG line got the treatment. Now, says Klein, the entire Custom Shop electric guitar range gets PLEKed.

“As soon as a guitar comes out of that machine it’s almost a given that it’s going to be an extremely playable instrument,” Klein enthuses. “There’s no guesswork. Obviously the wood can age, or if a player leaves the guitar in the trunk of their car in adverse conditions, we can’t account for future changes like that. But it’s playable right off the machine.

Do you know that for sure. I don't think that an authorized gibson dealer is saying something that untrue just to sell guitars. Or if they state that' date=' that it will likely not be taken at it's face vaule[/quote']

There not stating something that is untrue, but they are a retailer. They want you to be excited about the product enough to purchase it. Therfore some "fluff" may be added. My Father taught me to never take things on face value.

Here is Gibson's Description on Plek, and why they use it.

“Hand-made” still carries a lot of weight in the realm of craftsmanship, in regards to musical instruments in particular. While the close, personal attention of Gibson’s skilled luthiers still gives Custom Shop guitars much of their cache, all of these fine electrics now have their playability perfected by an extremely advanced machine, known as the PLEK system.

When considering all the elements that provide you with that warm, fuzzy glow when selecting your next high-end instrument, think again if you think the PLEK sounds like a step backwards. The PLEK is no ordinary machine. It is, in fact, the embodiment of precision as regards to fret dressing and nut slot cutting, and it is quite possibly the most significant advancement in servicing technology since the electric guitar was conceived.

In short, the PLEK system, developed by Gerd Anke of A+D Guitarrentechnologie GmbH in Berlin, Germany, is a computer-controlled “robot” that reads a guitar’s frets with incredible accuracy, then automatically files and finishes them to produce the desired “action” as determined by a Gibson technician. This sounds simple enough, perhaps, but it’s an incredibly complex operation, and one that offers unprecedented precision.

“We use the PLEK for fret finishing and for cutting nut slots,” says Matthew Klein of the Gibson Custom Shop. “First, it reads [measures] a guitar’s neck and frets, which it’s able to do to an accuracy of a thousandth of a millimeter, then it machines [files] them to an accuracy of a hundredth of a millimeter.” The scan itself records a wealth of data about each individual guitar, including the height of each fret from the fingerboard, each fret’s individual radius, fingerboard radius, neck pitch and relief (bow), nut and bridge alignment, and much, much more. The PLEK can even tell its operating technician whether a truss rod adjustment is required before optimum fret dressing can be achieved, and once it has measured all the frets in such detail—and dressed them—the machine knows exactly how to cut the nut for optimum string spacing and slot height in relation to the fret height and the edges of the fingerboard. All of this is achieved with access to a myriad of different software packages that the PLEK references according to the type of set up desired, the guitar’s string gauge and scale length, neck curve, and other significant factors.

Gibson now has two PLEK machines, each of which takes approximately 15 minutes to complete a guitar. The PLEK system was first used on the Custom Shop’s Les Pauls, then the SG line got the treatment. Now, says Klein, the entire Custom Shop electric guitar range gets PLEKed.

“As soon as a guitar comes out of that machine it’s almost a given that it’s going to be an extremely playable instrument,” Klein enthuses. “There’s no guesswork. Obviously the wood can age, or if a player leaves the guitar in the trunk of their car in adverse conditions, we can’t account for future changes like that. But it’s playable right off the machine.

Don't get all fired up here I'am well aware of all the advantages of the implantation of gibson's use of the plex's in their line-up. But what I'am saying here in this post is that one of gibson's major authorized u.s. dealers is stating to the buying public that gibsons new 08 standard plus with be set-up perfect and that it is guaranteed. And to me a guarantee is, if it is not they will make it perfect. That's what a guarantee is right.

Don't get all fired up here I'am well aware of all the advantages of the implantation of gibson's use of the plex's in their line-up. But what I'am saying here in this post is that one of gibson's major authorized u.s. dealers is stating to the buying public that gibsons new 08 standard plus with be set-up perfect and that it is guaranteed. And to me a guarantee is' date=' if it is not they will make it perfect. That's what a guarantee is right.[/quote']

There guarantee comes from that fact the the Plek machines computer precision allows for a exact set-up not possible before by hand, and on a consistant basis. Therefore it is a perfect set-up by the standards set up in the Plek programing, not neccessarily what everyone thinks a perfect set-up consists of. It also only pertains to the time it is completed at Gibson, they cannot control what happens to the guitar after that point. They are not saying that we guarantee the set-up to be perfect in everyones individual playing style or we'll continue to adjust it until it is. Big differance.

I dissagree. Their is no mention of "New process in manufacturing process" That when a gibson is completed it is perfectly set-up. Just a Perfect set-up Guaranteed

It's a new process available on the 2008 LP Standard' date=' therefore not available on 2007 or previously other than Custom Shop Models.[/i']

"In short, the PLEK system, developed by Gerd Anke of A+D Guitarrentechnologie GmbH in Berlin, Germany, is a computer-controlled “robot” that reads a guitar’s frets with incredible accuracy, then automatically files and finishes them to produce the desired “action” as determined by a Gibson technician."

You don't get an opinion as to what the set up is at that time!

Why don't you just call Sweetwater and ask them how many times you can return the guitar to them to get it set-up

like you want it at there expense!

Oh come on man quit repeating a manufacturing process that's not want I'am talking about. Look man it's like this, your at a bar and this hot chic comes up to you and says hey baby for 50 dollars I'll guarantee you a good time. You can bet (If she doesn't run off) well your gone-a, ya-know have a good time, because she is gone-a do what ever it takes to get the job done so she can get your money the next time.

Oh come on man quit repeating a manufacturing process that's not want I'am talking about. Look man it's like this' date=' your at a bar and this hot chic comes up to you and says hey baby for 50 dollars I'll guarantee you a good time. You can bet (If she doesn't run off) well your gone-a, ya-know have a good time, because she is gone-a do what ever it takes to get the job done so she can get your money the next time.[/quote']

Or she's gonna clear out your wallet as soon as your not looking!

Anyway Sweetwater is your "Hot Chic", give her a try and let me know.

I don't work for Gibson, nor do I believe that you do. So neither of us knows for sure. I am just offering my opinion as it is written, then adding some common sense to make a determination.

Irregardless this thread has given me a headache.

:)

Archived