Gibson Brands Forums

So, my R9's on the bay

Flight959

Guys,

I have sold a quite a few different items on ebay over the years including mountain bikes and guitars... I have recently put my R9 up for sale on there. Iam very cautious when it comes to selling, such as cash only... I have had a few people contact me in the last two days (new ebay members) firstly asking for my phone number so they can call me and ask questions only to find they dont phone... Iam selling the guitar under its market value and Iam in no hurry to sell it. I have now had a couple of guys asking some questions which could have easily have been answered by reading the basic listing I have submitted, such as what year is it? and is it VOS finish....

My question is, does anyone know of any scams with regards to selling/buying on the bay?

Regards

Simon

Don't sell outside the auction, use paypal only. I don't see why someone would need to call when they could just ask their questions outright through an e-mail in the first place. Not aware of any scams on there lately but always be careful and go through the proper channels.

Have you posted it at MLP?

I haven't done much dealing with Paypal but when somebody gives you money, transfer it out into your back account well before you ship the guitar. I believe they can send your Paypal account money and then withdraw it, no?

Good luck with the sale and good luck with whatever replaces it. Oh yeah, and...

SPAM!! [biggrin]

d*ck....

I know you know your own business best but dropping into any conversation, casually, that you were part of the armed response team for "No. 10" should sort out most of the scammers lickety-spit...

Shame you're selling it.

How are you going to replace it?

Good luck.

I know you know your own business best but dropping into any conversation' date=' casually, that you were part of the armed response team for "No. 10" should sort out most of the scammers lickety-spit...

Shame you're selling it.

How are you going to replace it?

Good luck.[/quote']

Replacement will be a Gibson Custom 68.....

Regards

Replacement will be a Gibson Custom 68.....

To paraphrase from Lewis Carrol's "Jabberwocky"....... "Beware the 'Clown-Burst' my son....."

Best wishes and hope to meet up for a pint and a pech well before instruments change hands...

Thankyou Timothy!

Paypal are RUBBISH they charge a % for EVERYTHING and I have had problems with them before!

I know real cash when I see it!

I feel much more secure about purchasing something on ebay using paypal since you have buyer protection. If I see someone say they will not take paypal I will immediately move on out of fear of getting scammed.

I'm afraid you'll need to offer paypal if you want it sold. People will think 'scam' with no paypal.

That said, DO NOT sell to someone in remote areas, i.e. africa, indonesia etc. These places can not offer a confirmed delivery by signature. They'll take your guitar and claim that it was never delivered, and paypal will take your money. Oldest trick in the book. Might be an idea to restrict your buyers to the USA, western europe, and Australia.

I'm afraid you'll need to offer paypal if you want it sold. People will think 'scam' with no paypal.

That said' date=' DO NOT sell to someone in remote areas, i.e. africa, indonesia etc. These places can not offer a confirmed delivery by signature. They'll take your guitar and claim that it was never delivered, and paypal will take your money. Oldest trick in the book. Might be an idea to restrict your buyers to the USA, western europe, and Australia.[/quote']

Hey hey...that doesn't apply to all 'remote areas'...thought the Caribbean is not that remote....

That said, he does have a good point.

That's kind of weird I've done quite a bit of selling and buying on E-bay and never had anyone ask for my phone number unless they had a question it makes sense though to talk to somebody on the phone if your going to do an expensive item like a R9 online. Good luck especially wanting somebody to pay cash for a item of that value - I'm another one who won't buy anything expensive online without PayPal and I use American Express with e-purchase protection to pay the PayPal that way there is some protection for me as the purchaser. I would never send somebody cash or a money order that I did not know very well and never for a item on EvilBay.

Archived