Gibson Brands Forums

Cleaning my LP

Mantoocha

Well, I'm having quite a problem with my guitar, it's a Les Paul Slash Signature '08 model, and unlike other guitars it's body is quite hard to clean completely. My friends told me to rub it with a cloth, but it doesn't work very well; one told me to clean it with wood polishing products, like the ones you would use on furniture, but I'm afraid it might ruin the guitar's paintjob. What do you recommend me to do?

Also, the fretboard is kinda dirty, what do you people use to clean that part?

I just use Gibson guitar/banjo/mandolin pump polish with a Dunlop guitar cloth all my guitar bodies and I use "The String Cleaner"device for the strings. These products have worked great for me.

Kenny V

I might add one other thing.

When you're done polishing and wiping, get a NEW soft cotton cloth and do it again.

The new clean cloth will glide smoothly over the finish until you find spots with left-over dirt or polish.

If it feels sticky anywhere, keep wiping gently in circles until it goes away.

If you need to hit it with a small amount of polish in that area again, then do it.

Nitrocellulose finishes are not as tough or durable as most "paint" is, it's not easy to keep clean.

So, don't get it dirty to start with!!!

At least keep dust from collecting on it.

Also' date=' the fretboard is kinda dirty, what do you people use to clean that part?[/quote']

Naptha/Lighter Fluid: works very well

0000 grade Steel Wool: buff the fingerboard and frets with it. Gets rid of more substantial gunk, and shines up the frets. Place masking tape over your pickups or else you will get steel fibers adhering to them.

You can also use the edge of a credit card to scrape away caked in dirt.

After cleaning, I oil the board with Lemon Oil. A little goes a long way.....and only oil once or twice a year. Wipe it on, let it sit for about 30 minutes, buff off excess. Oil is especially needed after cleaning with Naptha- it dries out the wood.

I also have a product called Gorgomyte (www.gorgomyte.com). This is a treated cloth that cleans the wood, lubes the wood, and polishes the frets like nothing I have ever seen.

I use the Gibson Reissue Restoration Kit which includes a metal cleaner,a fretboard conditioner and a bottle of restorative finish cream-makes my 2006 desert burst Les Paul Std look beautiful-the biggest problem I have are the tarnishing of the nickel BB pickup covers-just a thought-I also use the cream on my 2007 J-45 acoustic and it also has a beautiful burst finish and it looks awesome

Naptha/Lighter Fluid: works very well

0000 grade Steel Wool: buff the fingerboard and frets with it. Gets rid of more substantial gunk' date=' and shines up the frets. Place masking tape over your pickups or else you will get steel fibers adhering to them.

You can also use the edge of a credit card to scrape away caked in dirt.

After cleaning, I oil the board with Lemon Oil. A little goes a long way.....and only oil once or twice a year. Wipe it on, let it sit for about 30 minutes, buff off excess. Oil is especially needed after cleaning with Naptha- it dries out the wood.

I also have a product called Gorgomyte (www.gorgomyte.com). This is a treated cloth that cleans the wood, lubes the wood, and polishes the frets like nothing I have ever seen. [/quote']

this guy knows what he is talking about , listento him !

for the finish virtuoso is the way to go with an automotive quality microfiber "polishing " cloth .

Archived