Gibson Brands Forums

How is the Gibson "Lifton" Case.

Aaresz

I have an opportunity to purchase a new Gibson reissue Lifton case for my LP, which is not a reissue but could use a new case. I thought I read somewhere that they were not as well made, or nice as the Custom shop case, or even the Gibson USA case. Does anyone have a personal experience comparing the 3?

i wouldnt buy one. i have heard too many stories of the latches not working and people's R9s spilling out onto the ground. not only that, but they put a big "steal me" label on your stuff.

and if you gig a lot, they wont hold up according to the guys on other forums.

i wouldnt buy one. i have heard too many stories of the latches not working and people's R9s spilling out onto the ground. not only that' date=' but they put a big "steal me" label on your stuff.

and if you gig a lot, they wont hold up according to the guys on other forums.

[/quote']

Does someone else build the case for Gibson other than TKL that there would be a quality issue? I haven't had any problems with my Custom, or the USA case that I didn't cause.

If you gig, get the standard cheap no-brand case so nobody will know whats inside and most surely will think you have a crappy guitar, that way they wont be out to steal it.

I got 2 skb cases for the couple of times a year i happen to play live... put some stickers on them (lots of), a thing i hate, as i like everything as clean as possible, but it helps decieve evil doers and guitar stealing a-holes into thinking there are crappy full of sticker guitars inside.

Those are both good points. I hadn't given much thought to the theft appeal, though that wouldn't really be an issue for me to be concerned about. I doubt the case/guitar will leave my house much. I pretty much play for my own enjoyment - mostly because nobody but me would get any joy from my playing! That being said though I like to store them in their cases, and kinda like the vintage mojo of the reissue case. But not enough to waste my money on something of poor quality, the reiisue case would be slightly more that the original style custom case.

put some stickers on them (lots of)' date=' a thing i hate, as i like everything as clean as possible, but it helps decieve evil doers and guitar stealing a-holes into thinking there are crappy full of sticker guitars inside.[/quote']

That's funny... I have stickers on my Fender case for "camo" too +:-@.

Aaresz, is there some additional benefit to the Lifton case, oustside of it's intended function? If it is a collector's item in and of itself, and all you are going to do is keep your guitar in it at the house... then I think it would make a great conversation piece...

If not, then I'd look into a nice new case from a reputable company.

Aaresz' date=' is there some additional benefit to the Lifton case, oustside of it's intended function? If it is a collector's item in and of itself, and all you are going to do is keep your guitar in it at the house... then I think it would make a great conversation piece....[/quote']

Thats what I'm kinda tryiing to figure out. I met someone whom has some to sell for a decent price and even though my LP isn't a reissue I thought it might be cool.

yes they are good cases... but as i said before... the "gibson" word in the side of them, well it atracks too much attention and speculation as to what the content would be. That said, when my guitars are in the studio i keeo them in their original cases... i only place them in the decoys when i gig.

Archived