Gibson Brands Forums

Cali...tell me about your tele

Bluemoon

So, Cali...what do you like and dislike about your 62 thin skin tele?

I am on the fence right now between the 62 thin line and the Vintage 52 telecaster. I haven't played either. I don't think I can get my hands on the 62. I am going to try the 52 this weekend. I understand that the 52 has a smaller neck radius than the 62.

Good to see ya Blue.

The '52 has a 7.25" which is almost round. I hated it when I was playing Teles. They make a 9.5" but you can only get it in Colorado as I recall on the "thin skin".

Also beware some of those '52's have poly as thick as a dime.....

Best to ya.

I've heard the 7.25 is a little tough to get used to. I think only three shops sell the nitro thin skin 62s...Wildwood, Dave's in Wisconsin and a place in Washington. The 62s have a 9.5 radius, which is a little closer to the LP...which I think is 12, right?

Here are the specs...

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fender/avts/62tele/se04388/se04388.php

I wear it because we're blind to their tyranny. [blink]

You just went up a few notches in my book. I love Seinfeld!

The old guy in that episode who interrogates Krarmer... the general guy.. He's in these Liberty diabetes testing supply commercials on tv. It's hilarious! He's not even trying to be funny and these commercials just crack me up. You probably don't get these commercials in Canada.

Maybe it's on YouTube or something. Anyways that's a classic episode.

How do you figure out what size your neck is. My neck on the 73 I have is

small and I love it. I just don't worry about the sized and just play it. If I

measure at the 12th fret with a caliper it is 1.97 inches very narrow. I like

it.

CW

You just went up a few notches in my book. I love Seinfeld!

The old guy in that episode who interrogates Krarmer... the general guy.. He's in these Liberty diabetes testing supply commercials on tv. It's hilarious! He's not even trying to be funny and these commercials just crack me up. You probably don't get these commercials in Canada.

Maybe it's on YouTube or something. Anyways that's a classic episode.

It's pronounced "Diabetus"

So' date=' Cali...what do you like and dislike about your 62 thin skin tele?

I am on the fence right now between the 62 thin line and the Vintage 52 telecaster. I haven't played either. I don't think I can get my hands on the 62. I am going to try the 52 this weekend. I understand that the 52 has a smaller neck radius than the 62.

[/quote']

Blue, it's nice to see you around again.

I replied at MLP but don't know if you got my reply. I'm new over there and figuring things out still.

There is a difference yes indeed. The 52 Telecaster will have a smaller neck radius and the pickups may be hotter, flat pole magnets vs. the staggered poles on the '62. I believe I still have the information for both guitars from Fender, but the information below will do just fine. I like them both very much.

Recently I saw a '62 Custom Telecaster in Santa Barbara for sale that had a humbucker put in the neck. Very nice looking guitar. I think about modifying mine, but I don't think I will. Instead I'm looking for the 1997 Fender California Series Fat Telecaster. It has the humbucker in the neck position. I've seen them sell anywhere from $500.00 to $900.00.

Good luck with what you decide Blue, I know you'll make a good choice either way. I hope this helps.

Snapshot2010-01-2515-33-31.jpg

Snapshot2010-04-2817-11-14.jpg

Snapshot2010-04-2817-26-50.jpg

Blue, I need to say this about Wildwood Guitars in Colorado... they're great. I love my '62 Thin Skin. Play it all the time. It's a completely different Tele compared to the 52 I own. Still, the 52 has smoking pickups man. That's cause mine has the Nocaster pickups in it. They're hotter and you certainly can tell the difference.

Wildwood will take good care of you. Ask for Bruce. I trust them. I'll probably order another guitar from them soon.

Thanks Cali. I can get my hands on a few teles to play here in Chicago...just not the 62 thin skin.

and CW...i am not expert on the radius. Here's my understanding. The lower the number the more the fretboard curves. It has nothing to do with the width of the fretboard or neck. LPs have a radius of about 12". The vintage 52 has a radius of 7". My understanding...and guys correct me if I am wrong...the more curvature the easier it is to make chords, but the harder it is to bend notes.

So it comes down to what you are used to. I've been playing an LP for a few years now. So a 7 is going feel a little strange. A 9 is a little closer to the LP, so it probably will feel pretty good.

My gut is that you can used to it pretty quickly, but a lot of people just don't like the feel of the 7.

You got it Bluemoon. Just spend a little time with a few, it might not bother you if you don't do a lot of bends.

California is right about those '52 pickups, they are the best thing about the RI.

Best of luck.

Archived