Gibson Brands Forums

*Les Paul* how is your playing guys? *Les Paul*

Thundergod

Out of curiosity as i have been reading the forum after not being here for a week or so and i have found a lot of posts about how to play faster and guitar lessons...

How would you rate your playing guys? from 1 to 15.

1.- Can you play chords? 1 (this is the starting point, if you have 0 here please get outta here wanker)

2.- Can youplay chord progressions? +1

3.- Can you play them fast? +1

4.- Can you play arpegios? +1

5.- Can you play scales? +1

6.- Do you do leads? +1

7.- Can you play country leads, metal leads, blues leads and jazz? +2

8.- Do you think you could play in a real gigging/recording band as rythm guitarist? +2

9.- Do you think you could play in a real gigging/recording band as a lead guitarist? +2

10.- Have you played, or currently play in a band (non cover) and people actually like your playing? +3

The list i make looking at my reality, i am a studio musician mostly, and happen to have played live more than 500 shows with all kind of bands (from synth pop to salsa!)... for a player that plays classic music, for example, this list would be useless.

My answers from 1 to 10?

1y, 2y, 3y, 4y, 5y, 6y, 7yes tho my country and jazz repertoir is a little too small, 8y, 9n, 10y.

So... i get a 13... not bad, but i wish i had the self confidence to think of myself as a very good lead giutar payer... i currently play lead and rythm guitar in my band but i dont consider myself a very good lead guitar, just below average +:-@ .

(EDIT) I almost forgot: LES PAUL!

GREAT post Thunder... and you were missed, my friend.

I am gonna take this to another level...

Pre-Gibson Les Paul: (or "The Age of Fender"):

Score:9

1. y +1 (don't be mean; if this is you this is EXACTLY where you need to be)

2. y+1

3. y+1

4. n

5. y +1

6. n

7. n

8. y +2

9. n

10. y +3

Post-Gibson Les Paul:

score: 12

change 4, 6 and most of 7 (no jazz)- to yes

BIG difference, huh? It's all the LP.

oh yeah' date=' its all in the les paul... timeless design man... timeless design.[/quote']

heheheh yeah... I was thinking it was the lower action and the BBPros, but it could be the "timeless design" thing too I guess =P~

1. Y, been playing chords since age 12

2. Y, have a minor in music theory

3. Y, I've been playing for 8 years so...

4. Y, arpeggios are simply tearing apart chords, do you mean extended arpeggios such as sweep picking?

5. Y, memorized with the exception of some exotic scales

6. Y, have recorded leads on studio albums

7. Y+N, I know some country licks, blues is my passion, use to be a shredder, and have played in a jazz band

8+9. Y, currently doing so

10. Y, we draw quite a crowd

Thank god I made it past the wanker stage!

Being completely honest I would only give myself a 8.

I do not play in a band, nor do I believe I ever will. I mess around with some leads, but it is something I have to work on to become proficient. As I stated many times before, I play for my own enjoyment.

Out of curiosity as i have been reading the forum after not being here for a week or so and i have found a lot of posts about how to play faster and guitar lessons...

1.- Can you play chords? 1 (this is the starting point' date=' if you have 0 here please get outta here wanker)

6.- Do you do leads? +1

8.- Do you think you could play in a real gigging/recording band as rythm guitarist? +2

9.- Do you think you could play in a real gigging/recording band as a lead guitarist? +2

10.- Have you played, or currently play in a band (non cover) and people actually like your playing? +3

The list i make looking at my reality, i am a studio musician mostly, and happen to have played live more than 500 shows with all kind of bands (from synth pop to salsa!)... for a player that plays classic music, for example, this list would be useless.

My answers from 1 to 10?

1y, 2y, 3y, 4y, 5y, 6y, 7yes tho my country and jazz repertoir is a little too small, 8y, 9n, 10y.

So... i get a 13... not bad, but i wish i had the self confidence to think of myself as a very good lead giutar payer... i currently play lead and rythm guitar in my band but i dont consider myself a very good lead guitar, just below average =P~ .

(EDIT) I almost forgot: LES PAUL![/quote']

Well without wanting to sound egotistic I have to say that as a full time pro player for the past 40 odd years, yes of course I know all the above, as I would never work if I didn't. However what is more important in my book, is not how fast one can play or how many scales you know, it's accuracy, good time keeping, musical content a comprehensive working knowledge of what scales go with what chords to produce the desired effect to compliment other players you are working with.

Some young guitarists these days seem to have lost sight of the plot completely and have turned guitar playing into some kind of Olympic sport.

Also the ability to work with others is a essential. Make other people sound good and they'll always book you back. There is a fine dividing line between confidence and arrogance and one must ensure one stays on the right side of this if you want to work. Most pro players I know have no time for prima donna guitar players who strut around as if they were the next best thing since sliced bread, nor are impressed by those who suffer from accute musical diarrhoea.

Just my personal take on the matter for what it's worth, but well worth mentioning if one is conducting a poll about guitar playing.

Phil.

I got 11, because for 7, I don't play jazz or country, but I do play metal and blues, so I gave myself +1, instead of +2.

I haven't ever played in a band, so I can't say anything for 10. However, I have a few friends who sing, a friend who plays bass, another one who plays guitar (but isn't as good as me, so he could be rhythm) and I have a friend who plays drums. So we're planning on making a band. I hope we do.

However what is more important in my book' date=' is not how fast one can play or how many scales you know, it's accuracy, good time keeping, musical content a comprehensive working knowledge of what scales go with what chords to produce the desired effect to compliment other players you are working with.

Some young guitarists these days seem to have lost sight of the plot completely and have turned guitar playing into some kind of Olympic sport.

[/quote']

Hey man, agree 100% with you... as a sound enginer and (amateur) producer i have had the displeasure of having to record guitar players (and drummers) that thought the fastest they were the better musicians they were... but couldnt play sh_t at a usable speed (what good will do you a machine gun of a bass drum when you are trying to record latin pop?), really... no talent at all, just contestants for the "fastest shreder out there" Olympics (excuse me for using your prhase here!)

Most pro players I know have no time for prima donna guitar players who strut around as if they were the next best thing since sliced bread' date=' nor are impressed by those who suffer from accute musical diarrhoea.

Just my personal take on the matter for what it's worth, but well worth mentioning if one is conducting a poll about guitar playing.

Phil.[/quote']

Also as a recording guitar/bass player, i have been asked by singers and lame-@ss pseudo producers "can you play that faster" or "lets see how some tapping works there" while recording a sweet, slow love song... imagine that... some people just want an ultra fast solo and distorted rythms everywhere and you have to give them the explanation that that wont work with the song... if they still want that kind of ridicule thing i recommend one of the above mentioned oympic players hehehe (plenty here, and all with lots of free time, wonder why...).

But well, experienced producers and artists tend to know better anyway, and they are the ones that pay better too.

As for the list as i said, it is not a "standard" list or anything... just wanted to know the average level people in the forum are, as i recon some of you guys play prety good, and i´ve also read a lot about folks young and old that have only months playing and own this beautiful guitars (that i didnt even dream of while i was learning!) and play ok. It took me years to get to play ok, and then some more to learn to play good enough to start gigging, then some more years to grow the confidence to sell myself as a recording musician hehehe.

I got 11' date=' because for 7, I don't play jazz or country, but I do play metal and blues, so I gave myself +1, instead of +2.

I haven't ever played in a band, so I can't say anything for 10. However, I have a few friends who sing, a friend who plays bass, another one who plays guitar (but isn't as good as me, so he could be rhythm) and I have a friend who plays drums. So we're planning on making a band. I hope we do.

[/quote']

Hey man best of luck with that! Having a band is one of the greatest things in life, as long as it you have fun and play music (i could elaborate on this but i think most will know where thats going).

Also as a recording guitar/bass player' date=' i have been asked by singers and lame-@ss pseudo producers "can you play that faster" or "lets see how some tapping works there" while recording a sweet, slow love song... imagine that... some people just want an ultra fast solo and distorted rythms everywhere and you have to give them the explanation that that wont work with the song... if they still want that kind of ridicule thing i recommend one of the above mentioned oympic players hehehe (plenty here, and all with lots of free time, wonder why...).

But well, experienced producers and artists tend to know better anyway, and they are the ones that pay better too.

As for the list as i said, it is not a "standard" list or anything... just wanted to know the average level people in the forum are, as i recon some of you guys play prety good, and i´ve also read a lot about folks young and old that have only months playing and own this beautiful guitars (that i didnt even dream of while i was learning!) and play ok. It took me years to get to play ok, and then some more to learn to play good enough to start gigging, then some more years to grow the confidence to sell myself as a recording musician hehehe.[/quote']

Hi Thundergod. Yeah it's a shame really. I was teaching a big comprehensive school today and these two young guys come in for their lesson. One is a guitarist and the other is a bass player. I have been trying for weeks to get this guy on bass to learn some arpeggios and simple scales and play along to a nice groovy boogie shuffle, but to no avail.. All he wants to do is thump along on one note to a Slipknot CD.

It does dawn on them eventually, but it's a hard slog with some. No wonder my bloody hair is grey.

I always tell the kids.. Don't be impressed by the guy down the local guitar store widdling around through every effect going with the gain wound up to 10.. Tell him to switch all the effects of and hit the clean channel... Then you'll see what he's made of.. And beware the guy sitting quitely in the corner who starts off playing the guitar acoustically and trying chords all round the neck. He's probably a pro. Like the pro gunslinger..You'll never see him coming till it's too late.

Hi welcome back. Great thread!

1.y

2.y

3.y

4.y

5.y

6.y

7.N I would say yes to metal and blues and could surely learn a few jazz and country leads but haven't tried to many

8.y

9.y I've seen some pretty lousy lead guitarists lol

10. N practiced with a couple of friends bands but never had the time to get too involved

Some years back I was down on my luck and saw a guy playing Gordon lightfoot songs outside the beer store, The Guy "Busker Dan" had about $300 bucks in his case I thought holy crap that's good money. That night after busker Dan was done his 2 hour run I brought my Classical guitar down to the beer store and made $400 in the first night. I guess they liked what they heard. I did that for a couple of years but spent all of the money on bad habits. Luckily I got my life back on track and went back to work but at first I was still doing weekends outside the beer store. Now it's been several years since I did the busking thing.

I'm going to give myself an 8 even though I could play lead in a band I don't consider myself to be a great guitar soloist and to me the lead guitarist should be a pro.

I play a bit of classical as well and really can play almost anything I put my mind to learning but my brain is getting slower these days and life busy. I just keep plucking along at my own pace and while I'm always learning and improving I am not at the lvl where I am really happy with my playing.

I play for the love of it and enjoy striving to get better so I think it's a good thing to suck a little lol. I played on and off for the last 30 years and these days it's more on than off. I bought My first Les Paul for Christmas last year and not a day has passed that I haven't played it. Who knows what the future holds.

I think that there are a lot of players out there who would score 15 in the above test that I would call wankers, moreso than any beginner!

Unlike auto-erotic behaviourists, fretboard masturbators seem intent on inflicting their misguided 'passion' on everyone else.

At least technique has now reached its apogee in the form of Dragonforce. They are to metal what Spinal Tap were to hard rock. They are right on the narrow edge between being admirable and being the biggest joke yet! They amuse me but I wouldn't ever dream of wanting to play like that.

Rant over. I'm off to listen to some Paul Kossof tracks. I'll feel better in the morning.

1.- Can you play chords? 1 (this is the starting point' date=' if you have 0 here please get outta here wanker)

6.- Do you do leads? +1

(EDIT) I almost forgot: LES PAUL![/quote']

1) yes +1

2)yes +1

3)yes +1

4)yes +1

5)yes +1

6)yes +1

7) my metal is kinda weak :/ +1

8)yes +2

9)yes +2

10) currently, yes, +3

14/15

hooray for being young and not having to work full time.

=D

i think its important to be honest with yourself when it comes to playing. If you consider yourself a great rythem guitarist because you play everything palm-muted . Or if you consider yourself a blues guitarist, because you can play penetonics to backing tracks all day, you wont really be sucsessful

the way i see it there are 3 kinda of people in the world

-collectors, who buy a guitar, then put it on craigslist so they can buy ANOTHER guitar

-dreamers, who waited forever for their dream guitar, and are soo happy when they bought it

-players, who share their joys with other people, thoose people fall into one of the 3 personas

Hey man best of luck with that! Having a band is one of the greatest things in life' date=' as long as it you have fun and play music (i could elaborate on this but i think most will know where thats going).[/quote']

Thanks. I really like it on this forum. All you guys are very knowledgeable, and you guys are all very nice. And also I have a place where I can talk about our lovely Gibsons without being told we're just buying the name. :D

Hey Thundergod, I've been wondering where you've been. Welcome back. =P~

Tough question. Most people have a hard time doing a self assessment, especially in front of your peers (or those you respect)

Here's my assessment of my playing:

1. Y +1

2. Y +1

3. Y & N 0 (Depends, some faster than others)

4. Y +1 (But, they should be better)

5. Y +1

6. Not very well 0

7. Y +1 (Some, but not to where I want to be (Metal and Blues only at this time))

8. Y +1 (As long as I get to choose the songs)

9. N 0

10. N 0 (As a teenager playing covers at keggers would not count as people who like our play, since to a bunch of underage drunks wouldn't care what was being played so long as it wasn't Disco).

Total of 6, I guess I'm a little above a wanker. I'm not being all that over critical of my playing, I really think I have a long way to go. I've only been back to playing for less than a year after a long break. I don't ever expect to play in a band again, but I do enjoy jamming with my buds when we get together.

And yes: Les Paul 57 Goldtop Reissue and Silverburst Standard

Hmm, this is kinda tuff:

1. yes 1

2. yes 1

3. for the most part .5?

4. yes 1

5. yes 1

6. i understand it but im not very good .25?

7. no country, not much metal but yes blues and jazz 1

8. yes 2

9. no

10. no.

Total: 7.75, not bad i guess for playing about 2 1/2 years but a lot of room for improvement.

Archived